Returning After Nearly 4 years

EricaMorganEricaMorgan Posts: 8Registered Users
Hi,
I am returning to the CG method after nearly 4 years of conventional styling, mainly straightening and lots of sulfates/cones. My hair is 3a/b medium density/porosity, brunette, fine and when straight it is nearly waist length. I will try to get an updated picture up soon.

For some reason this winter has really done a number on my hair and it was looking dry and just horrible. So I decided to purchase a protein/reconstructing shampoo/conditioner (Joico K-pak) which did heal a lot of the damage but also made it even more frizzy! So I stopped into sephora and got sucked in by the DevaCurl sales rep. She asked me about what type of hair I had and basically made me feel so guilty for treating my hair so badly. So I purchased the DC trial kit. So far, so good and I'm really liking it. My hair looks about 10x better, but I still look in the mirror and am not sure whether I like myself with curly hair. This is why I stopped the CG method before. For some reason, I do not like the way I look with curly hair. So, I always go back to straightening. I'm going to try not to this time though. Not sure if I will stick with DC, but I probably will try some other things too to see what works best. I do like the DC, but it seems to be weighing my hair down a bit. Anyway, can't wait to talk to you all. :thumbup:

Eta: photo from today after I trimmed it myself because I was having major triangle head! I'm still not getting the curl definition I want from devacurl. I don't know what the deal is.
3a/b, Fine, Brunette, normal porosity, medium density
APL
-Curly/BSL
-Wet

Going CG again after nearly 4 years!

Trying out DevaCurl Products:
No-Poo
One Condition
Light Defining Gel
Set it free

Comments

• BoingBoingBoingBoingBoingBoing Posts: 22Registered Users
    Hello, EricaMorgan:

My hair is curly now for the first time and it left me so unsure what to do. I got a DevaCurl sample kit and my hair looks a whole lot better, too. From the forums, I see that there a whole variety of products to use that I never heard of before, so when I get some confidence (and if the curls stay), I'll try others. Meanwhile, I guess I have a lot to learn.

I hope someone with experience and knowledge comes along to help you. And me in my thread, too!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Many of us started out with Deva, thought we liked it and then moved on to things we like a lot more. It's a lot of trial and error, but you'll find things that work for you.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    Welcome back! I like your hair, though I understand what you mean when you say it may take you time to get used to the new look.

It may take a while to find out what really works. I was a more active member of this board at one point, but never really went full CG because I didn't think it would work for me. Been trying it for about a month and have noticed some changes, but am not anywhere near the finish line yet.
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • malobeemalobee Posts: 41Registered Users
    Another thing that might help you like the way your curly hair looks is to get a curly hair cut. Deva cuts are popular, but not the only method for cutting curly hair (usually dry) to ensure that the curl pattern is maximized and the shaping works with your curl instead of giving you triangle head. :P
    Began: February 25, 2015 2C, Fine, Normal Porosity/Elesticity, Medium Density, Low Dew

Cleanse: DevaCurl Lo Poo
    CO: DevaCurl No Poo
    RO: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
    LI: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
    Styling: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, plopping, diffuse

:thumbdown: : KCCC (seriously I have never hated a styling product more!)
    :thumbright: : Coconut Oil
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd suggest getting a copy of the new edition of Curly Girl: The Handbook, even if you have, had, or read the original edition. It's vastly expanded, and now comes with great video segments (on a DVD), including one on how to trim/cut your own hair.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file