2B/2C loses curls when cut?

BlimundaBlimunda Posts: 23Registered Users
Hi!
I just registered on here because I've been reading some posts and you're all so helpful!!! I hope you can help me too.

So, my hair used to be straight but then came my friend puberty and BAM curls. My wish came true. I let my hair grow until it almost reach my butt and it was lovely and curly and all I ever wanted.
It changed a bit overtime but it's still curly. I think it's a 2B/2C and I have that "underlayer of straight hair", which is a bit annoying, but yeah..
I always get a layered cut because my hairdresser says it'll make my hair curl more/easily and give it more volume. Is that true?

I got a haircut last week and this time I'm not feeling it! It seems I've lost most of the curl and the curls I still have don't last as long as they did (I had mid-back length before this cut).
I use L'oreal Curl Contour Shampoo, Fructis Garnier HydraCurl Conditioner and DevaCurl UltraDefining Gel. I think one of these products is making my hair drier and I'd bet it's the DevaCurl. I used to use the Body Shop Cotton Seed Curl Booster, but it's not sold anymore.

So, my question is:
Any advice regarding haircuts for my type of hair?
Any products you recommend? I think I'm going to try Jessicurl. Does anyone know anything about that?
Any other advice?? Heelp!

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    For me personally, layers give me volume and a curl boost. Not everyone's curls act the same though. How short is ? Some patterns need a certain length to complete the curl pattern - maybe yours is shorter than the length that it needs? You didn't mention your current length, so this may not be the case for you.

Just a side note - don't let your sylist push you around and take control, you get the hair cut that you want. Unless you are unsure of what you want, of course.

And I love Jessicurl. She has some great products.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • BlimundaBlimunda Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thanks!
    The shortest parts are a bit longer than chin-length and the rest is a bit below my shoulders. She said it needed a good cut because it was all wispy at the ends.
    I don't usually want to get a haircut, I do it when I feel like my hair needs it and it usually ends up like this, except this time it's worse. I usually tell her to just trim the ends but I guess her concept of trimming is different from mine :P
    Do 2c hair types usually work better without layers?
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I have a straight underlayer of hair as well; my canopy is the curliest part.

In the back of my head, it is wavy at the top but the longer it gets, the curlier the ends are - spiral ends on wavy hair. Not all hair is the same at different lengths.

My hair is layered a bit unconventionally for me in that, because the hair at the nape of my neck is almost straight, I get it undercut significantly so that it doesn't hang down below the rest of my hair when I wear it down.

Right now my hair lies between my chin and my collarbone - an optimal length for me. When it gets below my shoulders I really don't like it anymore, even though the ends in the back look like I took a curling iron to them. I like a wilder look :cyclopsani:

The pattern at the crown is curlier than the layer underneath it. The last time I went in my stylist dry cut my hair at one length, almost a slight undercut, and then lightly layered the top layers where it is curlier. It isn't your standard layering, but it really works for my individual pattern. My hair tends to have more bounce and volume the shorter it is. I find that too much length really weighs it down, but I have fine hair. Not everyone's hair behaves this way. And not every hairstyle is for every head of hair.

When you have multiple patterns I am finding that a good stylist and the right cut make all the difference! If you don't have a great relationship with your stylist, cultivate one with someone who can really read your hair and cut it accordingly.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    Thanks for your input. Your hair sounds a bit like mine. Is it possible to post a picture?
    I guess I'll grow it out again and ask for a different cut. Have you tried trimming at home?
    What products do you use?

I just found out about the Curly Girl method and I'm thinking about giving a try since most people seem to like it.
  • Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I need length to complete my curl pattern. I let stylists talk me into taking off length because they believed my ends were damaged (I just needed protein!) Anyway, the last time was one of the worst! She went too deep into my layers and while it left me with volume it destroyed the curl. The volume was very awkward, if I wanted to blow my hair out it probably would have been fine, but since I like to air dry my hair curly I was constantly applying extra product to add weight and stretch what little curl I had out. Throughout the day it would poof back up and I'd have to re-wet. I've finally grown it out to a length that is adding the weight I need. I've also discovered jaw clipping. It's nice because now I clip my hair after I've dried with a t shirt and create the volume using the jaw clips. I either let them air dry or hit with a dryer. When I take out the clips I'm left with a deep wave in the crown and volume.
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I pretty much never take pictures of my hair, hah! I don't trim at home, unless you count snipping off the inevitable stray straight pieces that get missed at my regular haircuts. I have a few mixed in with some of my curls, and I just snip them off when they are dry. But I could never trim my whole head, I'd be SO bad at it.

The cut, overall, looks a little like this one. I don't get quite as much volume at the crown, and it's just a touch longer, but the overall shape is the same. My hair also tends to be a bit more sprial-y and less like a wave. It almost has the appearance of a blunt, one length cut, but of course with multiple patterns there's some more complex layering in reality. I cannot stress enough finding a good stylist that is willing to work with your unique patterns - and it took us 3 haircuts to settle on this one (which I am really loving).

If you are just starting out with CG, your pattern may change over time. It took about 5-6 months for me to see consistent results (I had smothered my hair with silicone buildup, but didn't have any heat damage). So if you give it a try, you may see some changes over time.

Lots of good reading here on the site - I highly recommend reading as much as you can!

Product performance is primarily determined by your hair's properties (fine vs. coarse, porous vs. nonporous, weather conditions). My favorite things to use are in my signature - but keep in mind that our hair properties may not be the same. My fine hair loves protein, my ultra low dew point winter climate precludes the use of humectants right now, my picky skin hates a lot of product ingredients. So, YMMV in terms of products. I keep it cheap and simple :glasses1:

Technique plays a lot of a role as well - the way in which you style your hair. Shorter hair sometimes requires a slightly different technique than scrunching or plopping or whatever.

Good luck - lots to learn and so much by trial and error. Be patient!
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    I find a lot of stylists have different interpretations of a "trim". I asked for a trim once and got a stacked bob. Not at all what I meant lol. Be specific next time. For example - "I need a trim of X inches, I don't want you to take off any more than that, because I lose my waves." Once you tell her a certain number of inches and why, then maybe she won't be so quick to give you a cut you won't like. A lot of stylists think they know better than us, just because they went to beauty school. A lot of the schools are crap, IMO. But I can't imagine a stylist would be happy knowing she gave you a cut you didn't like.

In the meantime, just keep taking care of your hair. DevaCurl I find drying in the winter, because of the glycerin in their products. Maybe switch up your products and it might be a bit better?
    Thank you guys so much for your tips!
    I loved DevaCurl in the summer, but lately it's just not working. Probably because of what you said.
    I'm going to have to do a LOT of research on products. I live in Portugal so it's not as easy to find cheap products as in the UK or the US. I have to find products available (for a cheap price) on european websites. Any suggestions?

I was thinking Jessicurl, but then I saw it has Diazolidinyl Urea. Is that bad?? That's the only thing kind of putting me off because I read somewhere that it's a carcinogen??

What do you guys think about SheaMoisture?
    Any other brands you recommend?
    There is soooo much stuff to learn, it's kind of scary XD
  • cm03cm03 Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a frequenter here but had to comment because I've had similar experiences. I was also "straight" (not totally, but VERY loose long waves) before I had my last 2 kids, then my ahir totally changed. IME my long waves ( not quite BSL, thin and fine, 2C with a "swavy" under layer) take a beating with a regular cut because of all the tension they put on the hair when cutting it (wet hair, pulled straight then cut). It takes me a few weeks to recover to normal curl patterns again. :( Not sure how "technically" to describe it- I have a lot of texture in my hair but the curl/waves are weak on their own so I need to scrunch in gel otherwise I get a poufy mass of hair that loos like a bad 90's "Frizz-ease" commercial! So I have had stylists call my hair "straight" or "frizzy", but with proper care a get nice little loose spirals. I have had a few Deva cuts and had amazing results but my budget cannot afford $100 (plus tip!) for a cut every time I need one, so I still get regular cuts in between if I need a trim but not feeling the $$$$. ;) Plus I found that when I got a Deva several times in a row my hair started doing weird things- can't explain and for someone with more curls it wouldn't be an issue, my hair is just thin and fine so the cuts start to "show", if that makes sense?) You might try saving up for your next cut and trying a deva cut? Once you've had one you can see how to trim here and there as needed so you can space out your trims more. I go only 2-3 times a year for a cut typically.
    Diazolidinyl Urea isn't great. I still use products with it. I mean, it's not in amounts that are going to make you die, I wouldn't think. If you'd feel more comfortable staying away from it, then please do. I'm paranoid about that stuff as well, but I use a few products that contain it, because they work so darn well for me.

Shea Moisture is a good natural brand, but some of the products have a tendency to buildup quickly and leave you with an undefined frizzy mess. Some people use them with no problem, others have real issues. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot, and if you find you have problems then just do a clarifying shampoo. The SM shampoos are very low poo, so they won't get out silicones or anything if you use them.

I personally love Aussie Moist condtioner. It's not CG - I'm not sure of your stance on silicones. And I love Yes to Blueberries conditioner. I find both of those to leave me with soft and manageable hair. But your hair may have different properties than mine and react differently.
    I also go 2 -3 times a year for a cut. I think I'm going to wait a bit longer now.

As for products, I'm trying to go as natural as possible. It'll probably be a bit trial and error for now, especially because I don't really know any brands. Apparently I need to find something without glycerin as well. I found a german website curlychocolate dot com (can't post the link because I'm new)
    It seems to have a lot of brands. Do you guys know any of those, besides Jessicurl and SM?
    This one here is french and it also has a lot of options: lecurlshop dot com

Is Aubrey Organics good? or Curl Junkie?

I think my hair has low porosity.
    From what I understand, a clarifying shampoo is used to remove all the junk the regular shampoos leave in our hair, right?
    So if I'm going to use the curly girl method I should buy:
    Clarifying shampoo + cleansing shampoo + conditioner + gel/creme
    And then just start using the conditioner and gel?
    I've tried Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner back in the day and loved it to death! However, I didn't like the matching shampoo, blech. There are a lot of curlies on the board that love AO products.

Curl Junkie is like the holy grail of hair products, but kind of on the expensive side.

Clarifying wash is what you do in place of your daily wash. So you clarify, condition (either RO or LI, or both if you prefer) and then your styling product(s).

Clarifying shampoo should be clear with minimal ingredients. I personally love Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo, and a lot of people on the board like Suave Clarifying shampoo. You don't need a sulfate to clarify, cocamidopropyl betaine will do the trick. Yes to Cucumbers sulfate free shampoo I've found to be very sufficient as a clarifier - especially in hard water.
    Hello again.
    Thanks for the help!
    After searching and searching I decided to buy only the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hybiscus shampoo because the shipping costs are RIDICULOUS. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT!! In some places the shipping costs are HIGHER than the cost of the product.
    So I'm going to try that and keep looking for a moisturizer + cream that I can get for cheap. If I can't find one, I'll order one online in 2 months or so. I wish I lived in the UK XD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file