Frizzy Halo and Dry Scalp

mrs.munkeymrs.munkey Posts: 25Registered Users
Hi all! I'm 6 months in to being curly and love seeing the new growth I am getting at the roots - imagine a reverse grown out perm from the 80's... Anyway - I'm using Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Cleansing Conditioner and so far I love the way my hair feels. I've been using it for a little over a month now and although my curls look amazing in the morning, by 9 am I have a crazy halo and by 2 pm my hair is flat - think wet cat without the water... i am still using Aussie leave in mousse for styling - everything else either has no hold or weighs my hair down too much. And to top it off, my scalp is so itchy! At first I thought it must be this cold weather (for what cold Nor Cal gets) but now am questioning that. I itch as light as I can but get a bunch of white under my nails... ICK!

Have you used Carol's Daughter and had this issue or might I be missing my problem?
3a/b, high density, fairly coarse, medium porosity and elasticity, mid back length
Low poo: Suave Moroccan Infusion Shine Shampoo
R O: Moroccan Infusion Shine Conditioner
L I: n/a (open to suggestion!)
Stylers: Suave Luxe Style gel,(open to suggestions!)
Oils: coconut
Weekly Rinse: ACV
Experimenting with: Pantene Curl Defining mousse (meh.), Biolage Curl Defining Elixer

Comments

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    It sounds to me like you have build up. The cowash you're using has shea butter and dimethicone, ingredients that build up over time. It doesn't mean you can't keep using it if you really like it, you will just need to low poo or clarify every now and then.
    What other products are you using?

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

Oops sorry, I just saw that you wrote about using Aussie mousse + leave in. That has polyquat-4 and dimethicone, also. Polyquat-4 has a high tendency to build up. Have you read Curly Girl: The Handbook? It's a good intro to the CG method.

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

• mrs.munkeymrs.munkey Posts: 25Registered Users
    I have, yet I get sooo confused when it comes to products! I actually refer to it often but with the confusion of what does what and how, I get frustrated reading labels and knowing what I should be using.
    3a/b, high density, fairly coarse, medium porosity and elasticity, mid back length
    Experimenting with: Pantene Curl Defining mousse (meh.), Biolage Curl Defining Elixer
    Yes I understand you completely. It sounds to me like you should be able to keep using those products, just clarify when it starts to feel itchy or look frizzy. You don't have to use a sulfate if you don't want to, you can use a low poo containing coco betaine. I use one by Giovanni, triple tea treat shampoo.

Go Red Wings!

I will try that. My big concern is that I am always frizzy. I see all this pix of gorgeous curls smooth and well defined... I need to learn how to accomplish that! :) I appreciate all your advice!
    I know, I get massive curl envy looking at the girls on the boards hair. Like a bunch of goddesses.

Check back and let us know if you like your hair better after you have poo'd.

Go Red Wings!

• PadraiginPadraigin Posts: 36Registered Users
    I just checked the ingredients for Carols daughter cleansing milk and glycerin is the third ingredient. Glycerin high in an ingredient list causes me and others lots of halo frizz. The white stuff may be build up, but it really sounds like seborrhea dermatitis to me. I struggled with that for years. It's one of the main reasons I don't rely on co-washing. I use a variety of sulfate free cg friendly without silicone shampoos. So I low poo, but not with deva products. That stuff made me itch like no other.

I rarely have problems with the sd anymore. If I go too many days between washes, I get a little itchy with a tiny amount of dermatitis. And I was properly diagnosed by a dermatologist for the sd. But the prescription shampoos dried my hair. I gave up sulfates for my waves, but I believe that sulfates may have been worsening my scalp issues.

Online Sd descriptions say white or yellow flakes, but I always got a creamy white substance with itch just as you describe.
    So I rinsed with my vinegar rinse, and a few days later gave my ends a protein soak in some mayo... i was fine for a day then Im back to this... uploadfromtaptalk1423180870390.jpg... (sorry, no make up yet...)

Sounds like I should find another conditioner. I have been wanting to try the Deva line but am questioning now with the itchiness i get after not washing. Any suggestions on a good brand?
    I'm not sure what vinegar does but I usually use a shampoo or a low poo to clarify.

Go Red Wings!

Livecurlylovefree.com has a page that give you the best rinse for your hair based on porosity, etc. Lemon juice, baking soda, vinegar... i use vinegar and it helps seal the hair and ronse the gunk but not strip it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file