Don't want to overmoisturize...

ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So I am moving right along in my cg routine. I'm getting better results with softness after using tresemme naturals and GVP conditioning balm for my main Cowash and conditioning. I'm seeing less shedding lately.
I'm starting to get nervous about overmoisturizing because I will admit, my hair feels different now when it's saturated wet and during rinsing. Maybe the softness is new feeling or maybe it's getting close to that 'mush' feeling that is talked about.. I don't know.
So I have been going back to deva no poo for Cowash since it has some protein in it and just conditioning with tresemme instead of GVP. Seems like the deva no poo is making my ends hard and kinky. My hair will feel soft and straw like at the same time.
How do I keep moisturizing without over moisturizing and how do I get a little bit if protein in? Am I doing it right and my hair just really doesn't like protein? I really don't want to to overmoisturize.
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I'm over moisturized, my hair can get greasy looking, and the curl will get pulled out. Using a lo poo has way too many factors for you to single out protein. It could be the detergents in there. A PT would be one way to isolate the variable, but with coarse hair you may not like that much protein. I'd use different products with some protein in them over time, as an alternate way to tell. Maybe try a conditioner with some. Also if your hair felt good before, stick with it. If it's not broken, don't fix it. :)

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I use a rich conditioner as a leave in and use a styler with a small molecule protein (like silk protein) and either sea salt or epsom salt. It gives me the right balance. I don't know if that's something that would work for you or not.

I don't know why everyone is so worried about being over-conditioned and being over-proteined. Hair does not have to be complicated. Use a little bit of that and a little bit of this and you're good.

You will know when you are over-conditioned, trust me. Coarse hair needs good conditioning and not so much protein-ing, unless you have straight up damage from a flat iron or chemical processing.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I use a rich conditioner as a leave in and use a styler with a small molecule protein (like silk protein) and either sea salt or epsom salt. It gives me the right balance. I don't know if that's something that would work for you or not.

I don't know why everyone is so worried about being over-conditioned and being over-proteined. Hair does not have to be complicated. Use a little bit of that and a little bit of this and you're good.

You will know when you are over-conditioned, trust me. Coarse hair needs good conditioning and not so much protein-ing, unless you have straight up damage from a flat iron or chemical processing.

I think I remember from awhile back, she did have heat damage of some sort, so a little protein may still be justified.

I agree; a styler with some protein is another way to try. Silk protein seems to be one of those that isn't aggravating even for people with coarser hair.

Also, sixelamy, I love your bit about "a little of that and a little bit of this and you're good." Exactly what my grandma says (esp if I ask her for her recipes, hehe). One of my fav expressions. :)

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    naturecat wrote: »
    Also, sixelamy, I love your bit about "a little of that and a little bit of this and you're good." Exactly what my grandma says (esp if I ask her for her recipes, hehe). One of my fav expressions. :)

lol it's so true! Your grandma was a smart lady ;)

If there's any straw-like feeling, I doubt it would be overconditioned. It either sounds damaged or protein is not needed. If it started after the protein, I'd lay off a bit.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks all! What got me worried was an article I read here about getting really soft hair and loving it, but not realizing protein is breaking down, plus porosity is increasing, resulting in chronic dryness. Yes u guys are right, I do have some heat damage, some probly very severe near the tips in the front/sides.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2011/12/signs-that-youre-over-moisturizing/

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using CurlTalk App
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
    I love her article! I agree with her that many people overthink and use too much of one thing or too much of another. It takes a little bit of time to get to the point of too much, though. In the past 2 years I've been CG, I've only been over-conditioned twice. And each time a shampoo and different conditioner fixed the problem right away.

I don't know if I agree that over-conditioning causes dryness. I think that's more of a buildup issue, IMO. Also I don't think anyone would allow themselves to be chronically over-conditioned either, unless they have straight hair and don't notice it. I imagine curls would fall very flat and someone would change their routine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights