The End of Messy Indigo!

ButterCurlButterCurl Posts: 34Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Indigo girls, I discovered the solution to the problem of indigo crumbling all over your shoulders, clothes, and floor, while you apply. I've been adding dry pudding mix, but I couldn't tell it helped much. My indigo still had a "dry" texture and left a mess.

My exciting discovery: gluccomannan powder! Gluccomannan is a food supplement I'm using in a diet. It's a thickener, and in excess it can be a little slimy. So tonight, when I was getting ready to mix up my indigo, I thought why not leave out the pudding mix and substitute glucomannan powder? Sure enough, my indigo was very smooth and non-crumbly. It went on great and didn't affect the color.

The trick is to add the gluccomannan powder with your salt before adding any water to the indigo. I hope this is helpful to someone. I'm pretty excited. You can get gluccomannan powder on Amazon.

Comments

• Kator.EmmanuKator.Emmanu Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for the heads-up! 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,333Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Indigo girls, I discovered the solution to the problem of indigo crumbling all over your shoulders, clothes, and floor, while you apply. I've been adding dry pudding mix, but I couldn't tell it helped much. My indigo still had a "dry" texture and left a mess.

My exciting discovery: gluccomannan powder! Gluccomannan is a food supplement I'm using in a diet. It's a thickener, and in excess it can be a little slimy. So tonight, when I was getting ready to mix up my indigo, I thought why not leave out the pudding mix and substitute glucomannan powder? Sure enough, my indigo was very smooth and non-crumbly. It went on great and didn't affect the color.

The trick is to add the gluccomannan powder with your salt before adding any water to the indigo. I hope this is helpful to someone. I'm pretty excited. You can get gluccomannan powder on Amazon.
    Great tip! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 707Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Great idea.  There are lots of other thickeners on the market that may work too.  Xanthum gum and acacia gum are examples.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 27
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,333Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Do you use indigo regularly, @bomega

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 27
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

So I thought you just mixed indigo powder with water? Can't you just add enough water so that you've made a paste and it's not runny? Why would you have to add a thickener? I'm not being smart; I'm just trying to understand!  :) 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file