The Struggle for Employment

MidwesterncurlMidwesterncurl Registered Users Posts: 133 Curl Neophyte
I wanted to write this post to give hope for anyone who's been struggling at a job or to find a job.

A couple years ago, I had written a post about the difficulties with interviewing and getting a job. Since then I graduated from school and am now working in a new career! It took a lot of hard work and dedication. I volunteered my time, networked with people, and educated myself as much as I could about the industry. After graduation, I remained positive job-hunting even though it was very, very hard. It's easy to get discouraged.

It was possible but I had to overcome a few hurdles. One of the biggest hurdles I experienced was being told by people I needed to drastically lower my standards and just take anything. I wasn't in the desperate category (or close), but there is the idea if you are unemployed or job-seeking, if you aren't desperate you're just not doing it right.

I can recall during a job convention a woman there told me to just set aside the skills I learned during my education and volunteer time and go a different route. In her mind, I should just get any old job and then after employment, attempt to break into my field of choice. She and I ended up arguing a bit, lol. No matter how many times I explained to her my volunteer experience was already "any old job," her attitude was one of condescension and dismissal. No wonder the long-term unemployed get depressed! Nobody wants to be treated that way!

Luckily, I ended up meeting a manager for a different company who encouraged me to think differently. She said if getting into the field of my choice was truly important, to continue to go for it. She said I had the right skills and experience, and there was no reason I should think otherwise and settle for a job out in left field. I was lucky to have met her that day. Job conventions, fairs, and open houses can be depressing :(

For anyone who's had this experience, or similar experiences, please don't allow others to discourage you. LOL, I can remember a person here at NC told me I wanted a "dream job" and I was arrogant. I had no idea wanting a job somewhat aligning with your education and skills was a "dream job," but hey I guess I've finally got it!

Yes, we all have to change our goals and change our time frame for what we want to accomplish. That being said, it doesn't mean the hard work directed into your education, skills, or experience doesn't count. I'm glad I kept pushing through, and so can anyone else who's struggling.

Comments

• sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    Thanks for taking the time out to share this! This was absolutely encouraging for me to read. I'm currently doing the any old job thing right now while on the lookout for a job with career potential that utilizes my strengths and education. I don't have all my time consumed though - there's room for strategic personal development, so this was motivational.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm pleased things have worked out for you. As someone who has always lacked the motivation to find a new job, despite hating the one I've got, it's nice to hear from others who have followed their dream and made things work.
    3b in South Australia.
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I remember the post accusing you of arrogance and wanting a "dream job." I also remember thinking that the person who wrote those things probably wasn't very happy, or very secure.

I'm so glad things worked out for you.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I guess I'm the odd man (woman!) out here. I definitely don't think a person should remain in a job indefinitely if he or she is unhappy, but I also think sometimes it's better to just take something and make some money and get some experience rather than waiting indefinitely for that job that is in exactly the field that you want.

I may be biased though, since I have a relative who got a master's in a particular field and he is still living with this parents and kind of mooching around waiting for that plum job to fall in his lap. It's been over a year since he is out of school. I keep my mouth shut since it won't help if I butt in, but I strongly feel he should get a job, -- just work! He is 28.

Anyway, best of luck to you!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    Congratulations to you! It sounds like you're one of the lucky ones who was able to really find something you love, and that's certainly NOT easy.

I do agree with CurlyPearl, though. I would sooner work a job that may not align with my background just so I don't lose my house and my daughter and I are living on the streets.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm so glad to hear this! Well done. :occasion5:
    I remembered the thread but didn't actually connect it w/ you until I looked back.

I wish you would have updated the original thread so everyone would be able to follow the discussion if they don't remember and don't feel like hunting for it. It was a great topic with a very encouraging postscript.

Why the personal attacks? :confused3:
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    Munchy wrote: »
    Congratulations to you! It sounds like you're one of the lucky ones who was able to really find something you love, and that's certainly NOT easy.

I do agree with CurlyPearl, though. I would sooner work a job that may not align with my background just so I don't lose my house and my daughter and I are living on the streets.

I don't think the OP is advocating a "perfect fit or nothing" philosophy. Nor did she have a daughter or a house to pay for. It seems more that she's suggesting really trying hard to find something you love rather than accepting what you get.

In CP's nephew's case, taking something unideal temporarily in order to become independent would be advisable, but continuing to look hard for the right opportunity should remain part of the equation, imo.

This issue needn't be a wholly either/or scenario.
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Registered Users Posts: 468
    Best of luck to you! Here is something that has helped me to keep and maintain my focus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62DqsD2s5V8
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with Claudine. There's a balance between working a survival job and holding out for a job more aligned with what you want. Settling for a job you hate, which means a job that doesn't help you break into the field ypu want or drains you so much that you don't have the energy too apply to other jobs won't make you happy. It'll probably lead to a premature death and an unhappy life.

Congrats Midwestern Curl!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Congrats! I think those that are in "desperation mode" are the ones that are needing to take anything. I was in that boat once, stayed unhappy for 4 years, then got out to what I thought was a job I would love. I do love the job itself, I just don't love where I am working or my pay. This is encouraging to take a step back and look to see what I really want to be doing. I feel like I need to look for something else, but I'm not sure what yet. Finding a job you love is hard work, especially in these times when there's barely anything out there. Sometimes I wish I was dealt another hand of cards with what I am talented at, but then I know I was given this hand for a reason. Oh, life.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Congrats! I think those that are in "desperation mode" are the ones that are needing to take anything. I was in that boat once, stayed unhappy for 4 years, then got out to what I thought was a job I would love. I do love the job itself, I just don't love where I am working or my pay. This is encouraging to take a step back and look to see what I really want to be doing. I feel like I need to look for something else, but I'm not sure what yet. Finding a job you love is hard work, especially in these times when there's barely anything out there. Sometimes I wish I was dealt another hand of cards with what I am talented at, but then I know I was given this hand for a reason. Oh, life.

I felt like I was typing these words. This is exactly how I am currently feeling.

I feel so stuck at my current job, because I'm not doing what I was hired to do. I know that if I were doing those tasks, then I would probably love it. Instead, I'm basically a front desk person most of the time, watching children who have been traumatized and I have no background in that. I've been trying to find a job working with students in the University, getting back to my Adult Education and Communication background, but I don't have enough experience doing those jobs so I'm stuck being an admin person for now. I feel like I'm caught in a Catch 22 because I don't have the experience but have the education. Some people think I won't stay because of my education, so I can't even get the admin jobs that higher up because I'm "too educated" for them. Yet, I don't have experience to do the jobs that I'm educated for. Ugh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• MidwesterncurlMidwesterncurl Registered Users Posts: 133 Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I guess I'm the odd man (woman!) out here. I definitely don't think a person should remain in a job indefinitely if he or she is unhappy, but I also think sometimes it's better to just take something and make some money and get some experience rather than waiting indefinitely for that job that is in exactly the field that you want.

I may be biased though, since I have a relative who got a master's in a particular field and he is still living with this parents and kind of mooching around waiting for that plum job to fall in his lap. It's been over a year since he is out of school. I keep my mouth shut since it won't help if I butt in, but I strongly feel he should get a job, -- just work! He is 28.

In no way was I advocating for sitting around mooching on one's parents for that perfect pie to fall out of the sky. My post was intended to provide some hope and be encouraging. I didn't think it would get taken a different way.

For those who doubt, I've had to take my share of crap jobs and just deal with it. Or should I more aptly say "suck it up." I have done the jobs of multiple people even though I was hired to fulfill one role. At that job, my supervisor wrote me up for anything every month because she could (yet I was never fired). I had a job that caused me to file for worker's comp because of a work-induced injury, and had to deal with a threat to losing my job along with the medical appointments and physical therapy. I have lost my job overseas. Imagine living in a household where both people in a marriage are unemployed. Not fun. Right now, I am dealing with mild harassment/sexism at my job-- I never said it was perfect! Yes, it's in the field I want and what I went into school for, but it's not a forever job where I will still be there at age 50.

There is a reason I brought up "desperation mode." People who are struggling in their jobs and have to deal with crap (what it may be) are constantly chided and put down about how they should "feel lucky" and "be thankful for that job." Sure, your boss could be putting you down for existing as a woman (or man), your coworkers could be back-stabbing and sabotage your work, or you are doing the job of 4 people. But hey, you're one lucky gal aren't you????:angry2:

THAT is why I brought it up. I don't think desperation mode is an acceptable, permanent solution to life or work-life's problems. It's a temporary season, and it can change. When people say it can't change, or you shouldn't change it, is where I get angry. Plenty of people tried to feed me that line, and I think they'd be surprised to find out I was able to move forward.

I don't have a dream job, nor is it a "job I love." I have never really understood the paradigms behind the whole dream job/love what you do. A job is a means to an end for me, BUT it needs to be a means I can tolerate and doesn't lead to an early grave. I think the same option exists for a lot of people, but everyone's time frame is different.

I still believe if people really want to set their sights on a better job, they should do it. It may take months or years before it gets to that point, but it's better late than never. A Catch-22 is NOT forever.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    curlypearl wrote: »

No you're not that odd, lol, sometimes u gotta make money! I have a friend like this too except she's almost 36, but her parents support her so I guess she can afford to do it. At the same time she hasn't been aggressive though, sometimes you gotta take the job that will get you do your dream job, she's had 2 opportunities but blew it lol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file