HAVE YOU TRIED THIS?BLOW DRY TO STRETCH and FLUFF a BRAIDOUT?

MIA1487MIA1487 Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Ok after washing my hair, i do a braidout. As usual the braidout comes out really defined etc. But it is limp and not big. So what I did was use a blowdryer with a diffuser attached. (Before blowdrying, I take one medium/large section of hair at a time and spitz my hair with apple cider vinegar/water mixture and add grapseed oil over it, then I slightly pulled down that section of the braidout to stretch the hair and blowdry that one section then move on to the next. I just to stretch it a bit so it usually takes at least 15-20min for my entire head(i have a lot of hair so this is quick for me). Every time i do this, my hair comes out fuller yet still defined(well not as defined as before, but still defined.(I care more about the fullness))
Now every night before bed, i spray my hair with apple cider vinegar/water mixture, apply jojoba oil and rebraid the hair(using oil on each section and on hands to provide slip reducing knots/tangles). Then the next day I apply jojoba oil(generously since I have 4b/4c hair my hair loves this oil) so it can provide slip and reduce tangles when unbraiding(usually I get maybe 1 or 2 strands broken doing this, sometimes none, jojoba oil provides great slip to my hair). So after unbraiding the hair, i repeat what I did previously (applying apple cider vinager/water mix then grapeseed oil to each large/medium section then blowdry respective section slightly pulling to elongate it).

I just want to know will this method eventually cause damage to my hair? I have only been doing this for 2 weeks now, so I dont know long term effects.
Has anyone else tried this?

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have never tried it but I know acv water as a leave in would not be enough moisture for my hair especially in blow drying. I don't usually blowout my hair because it typically sucks way too much moisture out. My hair doesn't care for direct heatAnd sometimes after my hair may feel somewhat strawlike. I am still experimenting with a new dryer I bought but I plan to use it sparingly.

edit Oh wait. If you do all of it with a diffuser it's not as bad I think. However depends on your hair and the frequency.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have blow dried my hair before unbraiding to quickly dry it or get a fuller braid out, but I dried my hair out, so I don't do it unless I need to (ie. My hair is still damp and I want to wear it out).
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • MIA1487MIA1487 Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    adthomas wrote: »
    I have never tried it but I know acv water as a leave in would not be enough moisture for my hair especially in blow drying. I don't usually blowout my hair because it typically sucks way too much moisture out. My hair doesn't care for direct heatAnd sometimes after my hair may feel somewhat strawlike. I am still experimenting with a new dryer I bought but I plan to use it sparingly.

edit Oh wait. If you do all of it with a diffuser it's not as bad I think. However depends on your hair and the frequency.

Well I add grapeseed oil too on top of the acv water.
    The blowdryer actually dries the water (about 90% to keep it stretched not 100% dry) that I applied to the hair just before. I'm just stretching the hair a bit, I'm not really doing a full blowout(or blow dry) because this would completely ruin the braidout I have.

I just wanted to know if it would be damaging long term.............., since I'm not really doing a full blowout. For the past 2 weeks of doing it I haven't gotten any breakage and my hair isn't hard/stiff or dry to the touch like it usually is after a full blowdry(which i do VERY rarely).
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Rimi wrote: »
    I have blow dried my hair before unbraiding to quickly dry it or get a fuller braid out, but I dried my hair out, so I don't do it unless I need to (ie. My hair is still damp and I want to wear it out).

I'm usually an emergency situation only blowdryer. I would like to find a way my hair didn't hate it so much. I think I need to find the right li for the heat.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I think that may be too much heat and manipulation for the long term. I'm also not sure what role the ACV is playing. But as I always say, your hair will be the one that makes the deciding factor.

have you even considered doing your braid out on dry/stretched hair and making the braid out last for a couple of days. I think if you cut out the ACV, you will eliminate the need to dry your hair every day. I do this with my bantu knots. First day isn't as full as I would like it, but I get more volume each day I wear it.

I think natural 85 (or something like that) as well as Alyssa Forever have tutorials on YouTube

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file