Devacurls no-poo Anyone?

I splurged and purchased my most expensive hair product a few weeks ago because I was noticing my hair was particularly dry. I know that the change of weather has a lot to do with it, plus my career has me washing my hair about 2-3 times a week depending on my schedule (I'm a second year dental hygiene student).

I decided to purchase the Devacurls no-poo cleanser. I've used it twice and love the refreshing feel of the tea tree oil (I think that's in there). The one thing I'm not loving is the smell. I cannot place whether it smells like roses or cleaner.

I was wondering if anyone else uses this product and their thoughts and experience?

Comments

• amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,205Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I want to love it and using the suff works great for me but by the end of the day my hair underneath is just a tangled mess.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • Christina12Christina12 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Do you use it often or just sporadically?
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Uggh I don't really like the way Deva products smell too much either. I do bare it when I get my deva cut though lol. I think I usually have my hair washed with low poo because my stylist says that it washes out of my hair easier and no poo can kind of leave things behind. I'm not sure but it does work for other people. I like the fact that no poo does not lather but I would rather use something else or a cheap co wash because I don't like the deva stuff and I'm a product junkie lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I loved it when I first tried it, but it was still higher dews. I absolutely cannot use it in the winter due to the glycerin, it sucks everything out of my hair and is left very dry and puffy. I couldn't stand the smell either, blech!! Also it seemed my hair shed a lot more when I was using that product.

To be absolutely honest - you can find the same product less expensive elsewhere. I find Kiss My Face Whenever conditioner to be comparable. They even smell similar - but KMF is much more pleasant and is natural ingredients. I use this as my main cowash and love it year round. Plus it's only like $7.99 for a regular (16 oz) sized bottle, and $15.99 for a large (32 oz) bottle at my local health food store.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Christina12Christina12 Posts: 9Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I loved it when I first tried it, but it was still higher dews. I absolutely cannot use it in the winter due to the glycerin, it sucks everything out of my hair and is left very dry and puffy. I couldn't stand the smell either, blech!! Also it seemed my hair shed a lot more when I was using that product.

To be absolutely honest - you can find the same product less expensive elsewhere. I find Kiss My Face Whenever conditioner to be comparable. They even smell similar - but KMF is much more pleasant and is natural ingredients. I use this as my main cowash and love it year round. Plus it's only like $7.99 for a regular (16 oz) sized bottle, and $15.99 for a large (32 oz) bottle at my local health food store.

I've seen KMF in the stores-Target I think. I wish I had did the research on the Deva products before purchasing but I was really excited on my first major haircare purchase. I've only used it twice so I am not sure what the overall outcome will be as of yet. Hopefully it will be something I will be able to stick with and get my monies worth!
  • amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,205Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you use it often or just sporadically?

I use a low poo about every 3 days. I haven't tried it in the summer and it could just be the low dewpoints here are messing with the glycerin. Maybe I'll revisit in the summer.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I prefer the DevaCare No-Poo and One Condition for a few reasons. First, the cleanser has coco betaine high up in the ingredient list, which means I can use it to remove/prevent silicone buildup. Second, the conditioner soaks into my hair instead just coating my hair. And finally, I prefer the citrus fragrance over the lavender fragrance in the DevaCurl products.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • BoingBoingBoingBoingBoingBoing Posts: 22Registered Users
    I am brand new to having curly hair, so I lack a long term perspective. I was completely floored what to do with the sudden curls when I met someone with tiny, tight ringlets all over. She recommended DevaCurl to me and it's made a really big difference in how the curls look. I love that it doesn't have the perfume-y smell that previous shampoos I used did. I accidentally bought DevaCARE No-poo, which has a less attractive scent to me than the DevaCURL No-poo has, but I'm not about to throw it out!

I haven't tried the conditioner-washing technique yet, but want to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file