HELP! Newbie with questions about my hair type, winter care and hair cuts

emiemi Posts: 4Registered Users
Hello!

I'm 21 years old and I just realized that I've spent ten insecure years hating on and flat ironing my poor hair in order to blend in with the crowds of fine, straight haired people, which is the most common hair type in my home country Finland. But I'm sick of dry, brittle hair that looks like a poofball as soon as the wind blows or a single rain drop touches it. It's time for self acceptance! I used to refuse to leave the house with my hair in it's natural state (no wonder, I thought hair should be brushed several times a day...) and it's still pretty hard for me to really like my hair. But I've studied this forum, started the CG method (first co wash yesterday, I had immediate results!) and know how to style my hair, so I'm sure it will get better!

But I have three questions left unanswered!

1. I find the wavy hair types to be quite confusing... So could one of you experts help determine what my hair type is? Excuse the dry ends!

2. As I live in the Nordic countries it's really cold, dry and windy at the moment. Any tips on how to preserve moisture in my hair when out and about? I walk wherever I go, so although my hair feels moisturized and strong at home, it ends up feeling really dry and brittle after only 20 minutes of walking.. Any winter care tips?

3. As you can see my ends are quite sad looking... I've tried googling recommended hair dressers for wavy/curly hair in my hometowns in both Finland and Sweden, but it seems like hair dressers up here don't really know how to deal with other than straight hair, so they'll just flat iron your hair and cut it as if you were straight haired. So do you have any tips on trimming wavy hair? Doesn't have to be anything fabolous, I don't need my hair to be super neat as I enjoy a rather messy look, but I find it hard to do a somewhat even trim when my hair seems to change shape after every wash! Help!

Sorry for the ramble, I've never been good with expressing myself with a few words, haha. And excuse any misspellings, haven't written in English in a while.

Comments

• superzerosuperzero Posts: 80Registered Users
    emi wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm 21 years old and I just realized that I've spent ten insecure years hating on and flat ironing my poor hair in order to blend in with the crowds of fine, straight haired people, which is the most common hair type in my home country Finland. But I'm sick of dry, brittle hair that looks like a poofball as soon as the wind blows or a single rain drop touches it. It's time for self acceptance! I used to refuse to leave the house with my hair in it's natural state (no wonder, I thought hair should be brushed several times a day...) and it's still pretty hard for me to really like my hair. But I've studied this forum, started the CG method (first co wash yesterday, I had immediate results!) and know how to style my hair, so I'm sure it will get better!

But I have three questions left unanswered!

1. I find the wavy hair types to be quite confusing... So could one of you experts help determine what my hair type is? Excuse the dry ends!

2. As I live in the Nordic countries it's really cold, dry and windy at the moment. Any tips on how to preserve moisture in my hair when out and about? I walk wherever I go, so although my hair feels moisturized and strong at home, it ends up feeling really dry and brittle after only 20 minutes of walking.. Any winter care tips?

3. As you can see my ends are quite sad looking... I've tried googling recommended hair dressers for wavy/curly hair in my hometowns in both Finland and Sweden, but it seems like hair dressers up here don't really know how to deal with other than straight hair, so they'll just flat iron your hair and cut it as if you were straight haired. So do you have any tips on trimming wavy hair? Doesn't have to be anything fabolous, I don't need my hair to be super neat as I enjoy a rather messy look, but I find it hard to do a somewhat even trim when my hair seems to change shape after every wash! Help!

Sorry for the ramble, I've never been good with expressing myself with a few words, haha. And excuse any misspellings, haven't written in English in a while.

Your hair looks like a 2b to me,
    I also live in the cold and the winter weather ruins my curls so I braid my hair and wear a hat to protect it.
    As far as cutting your hair you should do it while it's dry and grab each wave and cut off only the ends of the hair
    Hope that helps
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    One thing on the stylist front, Amy of them should be able to give you classic long layers, SCISSORS ONLY. No texturizing or razoring. You may benefit from sealing the ends with an oil over your leave in before Any other product like curl crime and/or gel. Deep condition once a week and probably part of the time if you know you'll be out and about yeah I'd tuck it up in a hat or Buff (I think you can get those?) is that your own color?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome. It's great that you're making so much progress with your hair, the mental progress as well as the physical. I'm in a part of Canada where the dew points are very low at this time of year, so I know what you're talking about as far as the winter issues. Many people find it necessary to avoid humectants such as glycerin in low dew points, because it can draw moisture out of the hair when the air's this dry. Usually heavier or richer conditioners can help, some people use a lighter one to co-wash and a heavier one on just the length as a rinse out. You can also try more frequent deep conditioning treatments. You might also look up the loc method for sealing moisture into the hair, some wavies use it even though I think it was originally suggested for tighter curls. If your hair's a bit less wavy than usual at this time of year, it's just the low dews again, so don't worry too much about it.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • emiemi Posts: 4Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    One thing on the stylist front, Amy of them should be able to give you classic long layers, SCISSORS ONLY. No texturizing or razoring. You may benefit from sealing the ends with an oil over your leave in before Any other product like curl crime and/or gel. Deep condition once a week and probably part of the time if you know you'll be out and about yeah I'd tuck it up in a hat or Buff (I think you can get those?) is that your own color?

No razoring! I used to have really thick hair and what did I do? Grabbed a cheap razorblade and shaved my lengths to thin them out.. oh, how I've been abusing my poor hair.

I'd say most of it is my natural color. I used to dye my hair black and had to pay the hair dresser many visits to bleach it away. I've been growing it out for a few years, but the ends are still veeeery bleached. But the rest is my own! The underlying layers are really dark, while the top layers are somewhat sunkissed. The picture in the first post is quite exposured though, so it makes my hair look a lot blonder than it is! I'll attach a picture that I took after my last sulphate wash, it's more true to my color. :)
    Welcome. It's great that you're making so much progress with your hair, the mental progress as well as the physical. I'm in a part of Canada where the dew points are very low at this time of year, so I know what you're talking about as far as the winter issues. Many people find it necessary to avoid humectants such as glycerin in low dew points, because it can draw moisture out of the hair when the air's this dry. Usually heavier or richer conditioners can help, some people use a lighter one to co-wash and a heavier one on just the length as a rinse out. You can also try more frequent deep conditioning treatments. You might also look up the loc method for sealing moisture into the hair, some wavies use it even though I think it was originally suggested for tighter curls. If your hair's a bit less wavy than usual at this time of year, it's just the low dews again, so don't worry too much about it.

I have to say that the mental progress is very hard. At the same time I find it ridicolous that it even should be, I mean, c'mon, it's hair! I don't know, I've dreamt of straight strands ever since I was seven (!) and I've really loathed the hair on top of my own head. And if I should be completely honest about my feelings I have had a very odd issue with the fact that it's wavy. It feels like this in the middle, not-quite-there form between straight and curly. But I'm starting to see the beauty of it. And I have to say that I've started to quite enjoy having hair that's different from the fine and straight crowd. :)

Ah, glycerin! I use an aloe vera gel that was recommended on a Swedish curly girl forum and it contains glycerin! Guess I'll have to try to go without it, which is sad because I really, really liked it. :( Is there any other quite natural options for styling hair and clumping the waves?

Oh, I haven't even though of sealing as an option! I always thought it was something girls with tight-tight curls could do, not us wavies. I'll try it!

I have on more question! I'm very confused about the protein/moisture issue. How do I know which one I need? I've never done a protein treatment and I'm thinking it might help my damaged hair go through the winter? My hair was superdry yesterday after hours in the cold, so I did a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment and my hair became spaghetti and didn't want to curl up at all afterwards...
    superzero wrote: »
    Your hair looks like a 2b to me,
    I also live in the cold and the winter weather ruins my curls so I braid my hair and wear a hat to protect it.
    As far as cutting your hair you should do it while it's dry and grab each wave and cut off only the ends of the hair
    Hope that helps

Thank you! I've been thinking about it being something between 2a and 2b, but I have a very hard time seeing a difference between those two...

Now I've been supersensitive about having my hair tied back in any way ever since I was a child. I don't know why, but as soon as I braid my hair or put it in a ponytail I feel very strained and uncomfortable, so I'm afraid I won't be able to wear it in a braid. :(

About the cutting: I feel like my hair changes it's pattern and clumps everytime I wet it, so wouldn't it become terribly uneven if I cut it in the way you suggest? Or does it even matter when you have wavy/curly hair?
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    emi wrote: »

I have to say that the mental progress is very hard. At the same time I find it ridicolous that it even should be, I mean, c'mon, it's hair! I don't know, I've dreamt of straight strands ever since I was seven (!) and I've really loathed the hair on top of my own head. And if I should be completely honest about my feelings I have had a very odd issue with the fact that it's wavy. It feels like this in the middle, not-quite-there form between straight and curly. But I'm starting to see the beauty of it. And I have to say that I've started to quite enjoy having hair that's different from the fine and straight crowd. :)

Ah, glycerin! I use an aloe vera gel that was recommended on a Swedish curly girl forum and it contains glycerin! Guess I'll have to try to go without it, which is sad because I really, really liked it. :( Is there any other quite natural options for styling hair and clumping the waves?

Oh, I haven't even though of sealing as an option! I always thought it was something girls with tight-tight curls could do, not us wavies. I'll try it!

I have on more question! I'm very confused about the protein/moisture issue. How do I know which one I need? I've never done a protein treatment and I'm thinking it might help my damaged hair go through the winter? My hair was superdry yesterday after hours in the cold, so I did a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment and my hair became spaghetti and didn't want to curl up at all afterwards...
    unfortunately the"only way to know if your hair likes protein is to see how it responds to products containing protein. Hair that is higher porosity, either naturally or from coloring or heat damage, often responds really well to protein treatments. You could look for a rinse out that contains a good amount, or you could do something like a gelatin treatment. This one's really popular.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/protein-craving/128070-iagirls-protein-treatment-recipe-thread.html
    There are brands of aloe gel available that don't contain glycerin, though I'm not exactly sure which are available where you live. Another great option for any season is flax seed gel, you can even make it yourself. There are tons of recipe variations on the forum and on hair blogs, but the basic proportions are two tablespoons flax seeds to one cup of water. It's also great because you can make up a decent sized batch and store it in ice cube trays in the freezer, only taking out what you need each time.
    It's only hair, yes, but it's hard to undo years of negative conditioning about anything. Be patient with yourself. :)
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I will also mention if just the ends are still really bleached you may find when you get that off you may find better wave response. It could be pulling down you length, tangling and causing more misshaping than you realize. You have a loot of wave up higher and hair just doesn't "move" as well when the ends are damaged.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file