Questions about protien and how it effects elasticity and porosity???

curlybohocurlyboho Posts: 130Registered Users
Hi all...so i have some questions about protein and elasticity....

I was just trying to read up and figure out why my curls are going wonky (loosing curl pattern, the curl is getting looser). I have spent the last 4 or 5 days reading, trying to figure out why.

I as I was searching a stumbled across this thread with some one who had a similar experience...and infact posted my pictures (toward the end) of before (super curly almost afroish) and lately (really loose)... http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/112356-im-losing-my-curls-i-want-cry-someone-help.html

What I am coming to realize is when I was younger my hair was more dry, a little more frizzy, medium porosity, and medium elasticity and I had great curl pattern....BUT...lately my hair is super silky no frizz, i have a hard time getting volume, my porosity is now low...what could have made that change? Is this why my curl pattern is changing? Am i lacking protein?

If I take a strand of bone dry hair, and stretch that strand...it will stretch an additional 4-5 inches before snapping. Is this normal? Is low porosity and/or high elasticity bad for curl pattern? I know nothing about protein and im trying to figure this out, a of people in the post I referred to mentioned protein to the original poster...but I don't know if its what I need for my hair or not...
Low Porosity-Medium Density

Hair loves all sorts of proteins...my curls come to life in hot humid weather!

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What is your hair texture like now (individual strand width)? Remember that hair feeling coarse /rough /dry isn't the same as having coarse texture (large individual strands), and soft /silky /low frizz doesn't necessarily mean fine textured (small individual strands). Beyond that, what products are you using and what is your usual routine? Do you have hard water, or soft? Did your loss of curl pattern happen gradually, or all of a sudden? Curl pattern (and hair in general - density and amount of shedding, to name a couple) changing over a longer period of time can be due to a number of factors, including but not limited to hormones, diet, medication, stress. Over a shorter period of time could be a change in location (moving to a new city), change in water (hard to soft, or vice versa), moisture /protein balance being off kilter, etc. You might well need a bit of added protein, especially if your current products don't have any, and given the super silky + lack of curl. However without more detail, I don't want to tell you that protein will fix all your hair woes.

If properly cared for, low porosity isn't necessarily bad for curl pattern. Check out Kathymack's avatar. She has lovely curls and fine textured, low porosity hair. High elasticity isn't necessarily bad for curl pattern either. Low elasticity on the other hand would be more prone to breakage if not handled gently. In fact, the Curl Chemist says high elasticity is an indicator of healthy hair. See here for the complete article: Elasticity and Healthy Hair.

Stretching, stretching, stretching, then breaking, can be a sign that you need some additional protein in your routine. It can go hand in hand with less curl, or mushy hair when wet. If it makes sense, very under-proteined hair can feel like wet cloth instead of wet fibers. Think of the way a wet shirt feels under your fingers, versus say a wet dog or cat, where you can still feel the individual hairs. (I was going to say a wet lamb or sheep, but not many have had the opportunity to feel live sheep's wool). In terms of protein and how it affects porosity, hydrolyzed proteins are both substantive (sticky) to hair, and they temporarily patch repair any damaged spots. Smaller hydrolyzed proteins can penetrate into the interior of the hair shaft, while larger ones coat the outside. Whole proteins and amino acids will both tend to rinse free, and the whole proteins are too large to penetrate the hair shaft.

You might find the following articles helpful:

Pittsburgh Curly's (Redcelticcurls here on CurlTalk) blog post on moisture /protein balance. It includes some helpful photos depicting too much moisture, too much protein, and a happy medium.
    https://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/tag/moistureprotein-balance/

This one describes how to wet test hair to determine whether it needs additional protein, is in a balanced place, or needs additional moisture, as well as discussing moisture and protein balance in general. It even includes some example scenarios.
    The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care Pt. 1 | SISTERS OF THE FAITH

This one discusses which proteins help with what - elasticity, strength, smoothing, moisture retention, etc.
    All About Different Types of Proteins in Hair Products

Science-y Hair Blog is an excellent resource and has several articles on protein. They do get into detail, but are well-written and easy to understand. It's science-y without being dense or using a bunch of big words that a layperson wouldn't understand. I'd suggest doing a quick search there for "protein", then reading through the search results as you have time.

Science-y Hair Blog
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file