Any 2a/2b suggestions for getting 2c curls?

TimesamythTimesamyth Posts: 4Registered Users
So, after finally ditching Wen I have my wavy hair back. But, looking for some product recommendations for getting 2 a/b wavy hair to hold into 2c curls. I don't like to use heat curling, and I air dry.

The photo below is how the hair came out after using Flexirods very tightly against my head over night + product. The waves are a little more clumped, but I got basically the same result as if I had just left my hair free. So all that pain for nothing. I mean The hair is nice, not crunchy, but not really the result (Curls) I was looking for either. The hair came out in nice curls at first, but they just didn't stay that way for very long...

I used : - Herbal essence mousse

- Bamboo smooth anti humidity hairspray

- Bumble and Bumble curl defining spray

Any recommendations for mousse + hairspray (or other such) that will have a strong hold without crunch? ---> ideally products that can be found easily: [fred meyer, walgreens, walmart, sephora, costco]. And ones that don't have 'cones' in them.

Thanks!
Type 1c/2a/2b

1/13/15 = back on full CG to reclaim curly hair from the clutches of straightness!

- No more Wen/cones
- No more shampoo
- CO: suave eternal sunshine
- Leave in: alba botanical
- Mousse: Herbal essence

Goal: Curl/wave definition

Comments

• MyocardialMyocardial Posts: 41Registered Users
    If you use a gel you can just scrunch out the crunch? I Only get 2c with a protein conditioner and hard hold gel.
    2B, high porosity and fine hair.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can't really see the pic? For 2s, generally you need a harder hold gel to hang on to curls OR I am finding if i have a couple of medium hold products it's almost as good. Also, I get very little to no bounce unless I diffuse. You could also probably finger twirl a bit if you are really 2c. I can't do that because I'm mostly 2a. Curl pattern can also change and maybe that's happened. And a good curl cut can make a difference for 2b/cs. 2as too but less so. So if you can find a curly stylist it's a good idea.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree about gel and diffusing; I tried mousse and it has its benefits but doesn't hold up and the 2c/3a ends of my hair become 2a/b. If I use mousse I definitely need to mix it with other harder hold products.

Other products I use include my homemade gelatin hair gel, Jessicurl Spiralicious, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly (makes my hair more curly), and flaxseed gel (but I mix FSG with hard hold ingredients). If you don't want to make FSG you can order it from Sweet Curls Elixirs. These can all be ordered online. Recently I started using Giovanni Mousse (now this one can be purchased in a lot of local stores). Sea salt or Dead Sea Salt or Epsom salt or the like can be curl enhancing but drying. Helps to boil them first.

Techniques that help: as noted, hard hold gel and diffusing. Some people on here swear by Volumax Mega and Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. If you have fine hair, protein treatments really help. Moisture helps, since you're weaning yourself off cones. Plopping can help for some people. Squeezing my hair out with a microfiber towel helps. Some apply product to soaking wet hair; others take out excess water first. So experimenting with technique also helps.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • TimesamythTimesamyth Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks for product suggestions. I was looking at Giovanni Mousse but decided against it at the last minute - not sure why. Protein conditioner and Gels sound interesting....always been a little scared of putting gels in my hair, but might be a better way to go.
    Type 1c/2a/2b

1/13/15 = back on full CG to reclaim curly hair from the clutches of straightness!

- No more Wen/cones
    - No more shampoo
    - CO: suave eternal sunshine
    - Leave in: alba botanical
    - Mousse: Herbal essence

Goal: Curl/wave definition
    Timesamyth wrote: »
    Thanks for product suggestions. I was looking at Giovanni Mousse but decided against it at the last minute - not sure why. Protein conditioner and Gels sound interesting....always been a little scared of putting gels in my hair, but might be a better way to go.

I was too but it makes a big difference. If you don't want to try a hard hold gel go with medium to begin with. It won't hold as long but you will still get more bounce then without.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    It took me a while to come around to gels, but mousse never holds as well as I want it to. The only mousse I've tried that I get decent hold results from is Clairol's 3in1 in the white/purple can. Actually I like the one in the white/blue can too, in the summer when dew points are normal.

I'm one of the ones that swears by Volumax Mega... Has protein and is hard hold (I like it better than BRHG, but that has PVP in it, and my hair doesn't respond well to PVP, sot here you go!). It is crunchy as it dries, but once I scrunch out the crunch my hair is really soft.

My stylist is always impressed at how soft my hair is with Volumax, hah!
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    SpiralHam wrote: »
    It took me a while to come around to gels, but mousse never holds as well as I want it to. The only mousse I've tried that I get decent hold results from is Clairol's 3in1 in the white/purple can. Actually I like the one in the white/blue can too, in the summer when dew points are normal.

I'm one of the ones that swears by Volumax Mega... Has protein and is hard hold (I like it better than BRHG, but that has PVP in it, and my hair doesn't respond well to PVP, sot here you go!). It is crunchy as it dries, but once I scrunch out the crunch my hair is really soft.

My stylist is always impressed at how soft my hair is with Volumax, hah!

I like both Volumax Mega and the regular Volumax (3 hold). It scrunches out the softest of any gels I've tried.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file