Anyone ever had a good curly cut in England?

CurlygingeCurlyginge Registered Users Posts: 1
I'm desparate to find a stylist who can give me an acceptable hair cut and liberate me from having to keep my hair permanently tied back. I recently travelled 50 miles from my home and paid £70 for a cut with an internationally renowned stylist. The only solution he could offer for my thick, shapeless, puffy, over-volumous, pyramid shape hair was a session with the thinning scissors! I'm a just past the shoulder 3B.

Comments

• annagyannagy Registered Users Posts: 3
    It's a bit of a way from Oxford, but I'd highly recommend Donna at Stuart Philips, London, Covent Garden. She's not cheap, but is very sympathetic to curly hair and has never given me a bad cut in 4 years. She has lots of curly clients, so I don't think I'd be the only one to recommend her...
  • curlygcurlyg Registered Users Posts: 13
    come see me im in plymouth and i work for toni & guy :D it might be a bit far but i will look after you
    why do something yourself when you can get a man in!
  • Twirly GirlTwirly Girl Registered Users Posts: 53
    Curlyginge wrote:
    I'm desparate to find a stylist who can give me an acceptable hair cut and liberate me from having to keep my hair permanently tied back. I recently travelled 50 miles from my home and paid £70 for a cut with an internationally renowned stylist. The only solution he could offer for my thick, shapeless, puffy, over-volumous, pyramid shape hair was a session with the thinning scissors! I'm a just past the shoulder 3B.

Hey, I'm in Oxford! I go to Anne Veck down St Clements...they're lurvely and so is my hair!
  • KinkyRootsKinkyRoots Registered Users Posts: 15
    Hi all,

As keen as I am to find a good stylist - Oxford is a bit of a trek from the Midlands and the only suggestion on the site is Southampton!! Anyone know of anyone good in the midlands?

I get so fed up of rubbish cuts or people having no idea of how to cut and the constant fight to avoid the blowdryer (the last salon I went to insisted it was policy and I had to have a blow dry :x )

Thanks
    3 B/A. Grazing waist length dark brown with blonde highlights (soon to be hennaed red)

CG for 6 months using No-poo, One Conditioner. Styling products still searching for HG but liking Biolage Gelee, Abba Weightless and Angell.
  • rache61rache61 Registered Users Posts: 4
    I can reccomend salon in Cardiff, Linzi, Amy and emma are Realy good with curly hair!! www kenpicton.com
  • rache61rache61 Registered Users Posts: 4
    I know of one in Cardiff if thats of any help to anyone!!
  • *agentcooper**agentcooper* Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi KinkiRoots, did you ever find a good hairdressers in the midlands?

Or anyone else?

I'm desperate to get a decent curly haircut, so if anyone has any recommendations for the midlands I'd be v.grateful. Thanks!
  • KinkyRootsKinkyRoots Registered Users Posts: 15
    *agentcooper* I ended up going to an Aveda salon, where she was very nice about using CG friendly products, but my highlights were lots lighter than I'd asked for and she had no idea how to cut curly hair. But she did do a very small trim of the ends exactly as I asked.

So I'm afraid the search is still on :(
    3 B/A. Grazing waist length dark brown with blonde highlights (soon to be hennaed red)

CG for 6 months using No-poo, One Conditioner. Styling products still searching for HG but liking Biolage Gelee, Abba Weightless and Angell.
  • currumexcurrumex Registered Users Posts: 6
    hello!
    I already posted the same question but nobody answered me... and i figured maybe somebody on this board can help me... I'm planning a trip to Marseille and Barcelona in less than a month... and i wanna give my hair a good haircut... can somebody recommend me a good place? or at least give me a clue where can i find this information?
    i really need it jeje please help me if you can... i guess we've all been through the same situation ... wanting to get a good haircut but no idea where... and also too afraid of going to "any" salon and putting your hair in the hands of any stylist...
    ok.. thanks again and hopefully someone can help me..
  • MaloryMalory Registered Users Posts: 379 Curl Neophyte
    Hi. I just moved to England (from America) this April. Does anyone a good salon for curly or wavy hair in or near York?

• curly52curly52 Registered Users Posts: 351 Curl Connoisseur
    It's a bit of a way from Oxford, but I'd highly recommend Donna at Stuart Philips, London, Covent Garden. She's not cheap, but is very sympathetic to curly hair and has never given me a bad cut in 4 years. She has lots of curly clients, so I don't think I'd be the only one to recommend her...

how much did it cost?
    uk curly - 3a :toothy7:
  • ~kurlykathy~~kurlykathy~ Registered Users Posts: 7
    I too find it pretty much impossible to find a decent hairdresser. The last hairdressers I went to were so rude constently telling me my hair was "very dry and damaged" and "Do you ever brush your hair?" :cry: . It completly killed the already low self confidence I had about my hair.

When I finally got the courage to go again a women spend nearly two hours combing and blow dryin my hair!! :roll: :twisted:

I really would love to go to a haridressers where they understood that stariaght hair and curly hair IS NOT THE SAME!! :? :x
  • KAnneKAnne Registered Users Posts: 18
    Hi

Im from the midlands (Wolverhampton). If your anywhere near there, I just went (well, about 3 weeks ago!) to peter hipkin in tettenhall. The cut was great and they were totally cool about me telling them not shampoo my hair and not to rub it dry. she spent ages finishing my hair so i could go outside and get home before it shot up in the air!
  • curlygalacurlygala Registered Users Posts: 1
    does anyone know of a good leave in conditioner in england as they all seem to be in america and i cant order online. im slowly killing my hair with gels which makes my hair quite literally crunchy, any suggestions?
  • GEN874GEN874 Registered Users Posts: 6
    curlygala wrote:
    does anyone know of a good leave in conditioner in england as they all seem to be in america and i cant order online. im slowly killing my hair with gels which makes my hair quite literally crunchy, any suggestions?

CurlFriends do a leave-in conditioner. I've bought it in the UK from www.curlyco.co.uk . Haven't seen it in any UK shops :lol:
    curlygala wrote:

CurlFriends do a leave-in conditioner. I've bought it in the UK from curlyco.co.uk . Haven't seen it in any UK shops :lol:
    There are a few curly friendly salons listed on the uk site curlyco.co.uk. The list seems to be growing slowly.
  • FelinaFelina Registered Users Posts: 7
    Hi everyone, another UK redhead :P

I justed wanted to share a wonderful hairdresser with you who has actually cut my hair twice (and i have NEVER been to the same hairdresser twice before her!). It's Myra, a lovely girl with crazy fun curls herself, she works at a salon called 4th Floor in London. Here's the link if anyone's interested - http://www.4thfloor.co.uk/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    3a (?)
    pw: redcurls
    felina, how much did you pay for the cut? was it a dry cut?
  • AlexaAlexa Registered Users Posts: 208
    Felina wrote:
    Here's the link if anyone's interested - http://www.4thfloor.co.uk/

Wow it looks like they do their own range of sulphate free 'poo as well!
    & natural condish & stylers, I wonder if they are cone-free?

Have you tried any of their products Felina?
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • FelinaFelina Registered Users Posts: 7
    @curly52: i think i paid about £45 for the cut last time. She cut it wet both times, i asked her about a dry cut but she said that the first time it should be cut wet as otherwise it's not going to be even (which didn't really make sense to me :roll: ) and then next time she could cut it dry if i wanted. to be honest, the second time i went i didn't even ask anymore as the first cut had turned out really well so i wasn't bothered about a dry cut...

@Curly Alexa: i have only tried their leave in conditioner which has no cones but is too light for me, so i wasn't too impressed. but everything smells really nice and 'natural'.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    3a (?)
    pw: redcurls
    ok thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file