CurlTalk

coconut oil in products

shishacurlsshishacurls Posts: 88Registered Users
I feel like all hair product companies are on a coconut oil craze right now especially with products that are tailored towards curly hair. I am having a hard time finding products that do not contain coconut oil these days. I have been wanting to try the herbal essence hello hydration conditioner and the as I am coconut cowash for a while now, but I have been afraid too because of the coconut in it.

Has anyone's hair that hates coconut oil still had success with products that contain coconut oil?

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Why do you not like coconut oil? What does it do to your hair? Coconut oil is really beneficial for the hair, skin, and even internally. I wouldn't be quick to blame coconut oil, I would look more at other common ingredients in products you are using or the amount you are using.

Just an FYI, the As I Am Coconut Cowash can be heavy, not because of coconut oil, but because of castor oil. I didn't like the Hello Hydration conditioner personally, and wouldn't have even guessed there was coconut in it. Don't sell a product short, just because it contains coconut - unless you have an allergy then that's a different story.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • shishacurlsshishacurls Posts: 88Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Why do you not like coconut oil? What does it do to your hair? Coconut oil is really beneficial for the hair, skin, and even internally. I wouldn't be quick to blame coconut oil, I would look more at other common ingredients in products you are using or the amount you are using.

Just an FYI, the As I Am Coconut Cowash can be heavy, not because of coconut oil, but because of castor oil. I didn't like the Hello Hydration conditioner personally, and wouldn't have even guessed there was coconut in it. Don't sell a product short, just because it contains coconut - unless you have an allergy then that's a different story.

The reason I don't like coconut oil is because I tried putting plain organic coconut oil on my hair as an oil treatment because I had heard all the benefits and it left my hair feeling fried. I later did some research and found that coconut oil acts like a protein, so it can often leave protein sensitive people's hair feeling dry and fried. After that I avoided all products containing coconut oil because I figured if plain coconut oil made my hair feel fried, all products containing coconut oil will probably make my hair feel fried as well.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Were you in cool/cold weather at all? At temps below 76 degrees it becomes a solid - even on your hair.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • shishacurlsshishacurls Posts: 88Registered Users
    I can't remember what season it was back when I tried it. I remember I put the jar of coconut oil in the microwave to melt it to a liquid, then I put it on my hair. As soon as I put the oil on my hair, it didn't feel good. It felt like I was frying my hair.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »

The reason I don't like coconut oil is because I tried putting plain organic coconut oil on my hair as an oil treatment because I had heard all the benefits and it left my hair feeling fried. I later did some research and found that coconut oil acts like a protein, so it can often leave protein sensitive people's hair feeling dry and fried. After that I avoided all products containing coconut oil because I figured if plain coconut oil made my hair feel fried, all products containing coconut oil will probably make my hair feel fried as well.

Exactly. I will NEVER put straight coconut oil on my hair again. It made my hair feel like dry brittle straw like I was in overload. I can handle it in some formulations but I really wish brands would try to make at least one product in their line coconut oil free. Lately in my regimen I have been using only one product with coconut oil and it's the sixth ingredient and actually an extract. Hair was going good. Then I used a SM conditioner that someone gave me and I could feel the difference of reintroducing a high amount of coconut oil in the proteiny feeling my hair had.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • CurlsInVACurlsInVA Posts: 5Registered Users
    I have had the same experience with coconut oil. It made my hair a dry, brittle, lifeless, straw-like, frizzy, tangled mess!

And for the record, I used fractionated coconut oil, which is what is recommended for hair instead of straight coconut oil (fractionated is in liquid form and and you don't have to heat it).

So, I too avoid coconut as well as all protein ingredients in hair care products. It's not easy at all trying to find products. I have had luck going on CurlMart.com's website and on the left click on 'Shop by Ingredient' then choose 'Protein Free'. From there, I'm able to click on each product and look at the ingredients list and if it lists 'coco' anything I avoid it.

I've also determined that I have low porosity hair, so in addition to avoiding protein I find that I need to use a moisturizing clarifying shampoo (protein-free of course) every other wash.

Last week I just found at my local Target a brand new Shea Moisture collection which was titled Low Porosity Protein Free. It collection included the shampoo, conditioner, and detangler/leave-in. The 3 products used in succession made my hair look amazing, but the scent of the essential oils was overpowering and I could hardly stand to be near myself! Wish Shea Moisture would tone it down (significantly) with the inclusion of essential oils.

Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Moisturizing Hair Treatment doesn't have protein or coconut, and curlies on this site rave about it.

Good luck!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,707Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have the same problem with straight coconut oil on my hair: it makes it crispy. I've tried it twice (both in warm temps), and the result was nasty. However, I have had no problem with products containing coconut oil, even high up on the ingredients list. If I were you, I would try out one of the products you are looking at, and buy it from a place that accepts returns if you aren't happy with it. I am finding that a lot more places accept returns for unsatisfactory hair products than I thought.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: As I Am; CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel
    Normal- to low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • AfafooAfafoo Posts: 10Registered Users
    I know how you feel, I have this problem too with the coconut oil. It makes my hair drier and just stays on it, however, I have no problem with OXG coconut line, I tried their oil and the leave in conditioner and they are good.
    Top of hair:
    very frizzy, 3b
    Coarse

Underneath: 2b
    Fine, shiny and smooth
    - Low porosity
    - Med-low elasticity
    - Med-low density
    - Thin hair strands
    - Protein sensitive
    I know how you feel, I have this problem too with the coconut oil. It makes my hair drier and just stays on it, however, I have no problem with OXG coconut line, I tried their oil and the leave in conditioner and they are good.
    Top of hair:
    very frizzy, 3b
    Coarse

Fine, shiny and smooth
    - Low porosity
    - Med-low elasticity
    - Med-low density
    - Thin hair strands
    - Protein sensitive
    I have this problem too with the straight coconut oil, It makes my hair drier and just stays on it. However, I have no problem with OXG coconut line, I tried their oil and the leave in conditioner and they are good.

Good luck!
    Top of hair:
    very frizzy, 3b
    Coarse

Fine, shiny and smooth
    - Low porosity
    - Med-low elasticity
    - Med-low density
    - Thin hair strands
    - Protein sensitive
    I have this problem too with the straight coconut oil, It makes my hair drier and just stays on it. However, I have no problem with OXG coconut line, I tried their oil and the leave in conditioner and they are good.

Good luck!
    Top of hair:
    very frizzy, 3b
    Coarse

Fine, shiny and smooth
    - Low porosity
    - Med-low elasticity
    - Med-low density
    - Thin hair strands
    - Protein sensitive

Good luck!
    Top of hair:
    very frizzy, 3b
    Coarse

Fine, shiny and smooth
    - Low porosity
    - Med-low elasticity
    - Med-low density
    - Thin hair strands
    - Protein sensitive

Good luck!
    Top of hair:
    very frizzy, 3b
    Coarse

Fine, shiny and smooth
    - Low porosity
    - Med-low elasticity
    - Med-low density
    - Thin hair strands
    - Protein sensitive
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 169Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't use anything with coconut-based ingredients, no matter how far down the list. Crispy straw that takes weeks to feel like hair again - no thanks.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density
    Varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    Summer Regimen:
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner
    CJ Beauticurls (and on days when I want more polish or definition) CJ Pattern Pusha
    Monthly refresh with SM African Water Mint poo and Sally's GVPCB, mixed with sunflower and olive oils for a DC