New 2a/2b, with questions!

CinderellyCinderelly Posts: 16Registered Users
Hi! I'm actually not brand new to CurlyGirl, but am starting back after an absence of a few years. Growing up, my hair was straight, fine and thin, until I noticed some wave and got so excited about possibly being naturally curly that I jumped into CG with both feet at age 13. Unfortunately, low/no 'poo didn't work as my hair was quite oily during puberty, and looking back, I can see that I was using a lot of heavy products--totally wrong for my fine, light waves! I ended up quitting after a few months.

Now, it seems my hair has gotten wavier since puberty, and I've gotten sick of styling it all the time with heat and hairspray at work and college. I started CG-mod two days ago. I've been stalking the forum the past couple days, and have decided that I have more 2b potential than I thought--yay!! I do have a few questions, so I'll start with the products I'm using:

Herbal Essences Naked Moisture Shampoo
Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Conditioner
Tresemme Remoisturize Conditioner
Alba Botanica strong hold gel (just a little, watered down)

I've learned from experience that I simply cannot cowash...my hair gets so weighed down. (Of course, I might be using the wrong stuff.) I have virtually no frizz, so that's not an issue. Mostly it's just encouraging the curl and seeing what works right...I'm loving all the just-for-wavies tips around here. This afternoon I did IAgirl's original protein treatment, and my hair is full and curly like never before!! (Though perhaps a little frizzy, but I was fussing with it afterwards.)

So here's my big question: Are the products I'm using all right for wavy hair like mine? Also, is the Garnier conditioner ok? It's cone/paraben/dye free, but says it's for "stronger, healthier hair with no weigh-down", which makes me suspicious. Anyone used it before?

When my hair is dry, I'll try to post a pic so you can see what I'm working with. So excited to be part of this great community! :)

P.S. Also, I'd love some recs for a good lightweight mousse/gel! I have no idea where to start with that...
2a/b, fine, low density, normal porosity(??). Getting back into CG-mod after a few years away. :laughing8:

Shampoo: Herbal Essences Naked Moisturizing
Condish: VO5 Kiwis, a little Garnier Fructis Pure Clean
Styler: HETT mousse, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean gel

Apparently hair loves protein and easily gets over-moisturized. Trying to wrangle out a routine that works. :P

Comments

• MyocardialMyocardial Posts: 41Registered Users
    Doesn't the naked shampoo have a sulfate?

I find sulfate free shampoos encourage curl better but you need one that isn't tooo gentle if that makes sense.
    2B, high porosity and fine hair.
  • CinderellyCinderelly Posts: 16Registered Users
    Myocardial, yes, it does. I'm trying to use as little as possible, and I think you may be right...perhaps a sulfate-free or low-poo technique would be better. :P I'm struggling with finding a routine that works...(of course, I'm like a week in, so who am I to talk!)
    2a/b, fine, low density, normal porosity(??). Getting back into CG-mod after a few years away. :laughing8:

Apparently hair loves protein and easily gets over-moisturized. Trying to wrangle out a routine that works. :P
  • Rie1129Rie1129 Posts: 1Registered Users
    Try the Organix Shampoos! They are all sulfate free and they have one for basically any hair need. (I use sea mineral moisture currently and I'm happy. I have used coconut milk in the past and that was ok too.) I am 2b/2c. For a gel, I use Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel and it works perfectly for me! I have also made a spray gel (using instructions from Curly Girl Handbook) using this gel and use it to refresh and reshape the curls on my second or third day hair. Hope this helped!!!
  • MyocardialMyocardial Posts: 41Registered Users
    Organix has cones in it does it not? I am also 2a\2b.

I think I looked at the garnier conditioner and it either had an alcohol or polyquat in it. If it has the latter it can weigh it down and drop the curl due to build up, although some people don't get this build up from quats. Alcohol can dry your hair out but as you said that isn't a problem for you.

Instead of relying on a protein treatment continously have you tried a salt spray? Sometimes I use it after my leave in and before my gel and it gives me root lift and curlier hair.

Do you diffuse or plop?
    2B, high porosity and fine hair.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you can't cowash, you probably have hard water. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A good cowash if you get weighed down would be one with a surfactant in it - like Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner (or really any of their conditioners) or Curl Junkie Daily Fix. They both have cocamidopropyl betaine in them. Otherwise, a sulfate free gentle low poo like Yes to Cucumbers sulfate free, Giovanni shampoos, or Jessicurl gentle cleansing shampoo.

I love Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly and Spiral Solutions firm hold jelly for light styling products. The JC RR and SS CEJ have either epsom salt or dead sea salt and will encourage your pattern. If you have normal to fine hair, AG Re:Coil is AMAZING for enhancing your pattern.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The only cowash that has has worked for me and not caused weigh down is As I Am Coconut Cowash. I hear the cleansing pudding is even lighter. It's at Sallys and Target.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • CinderellyCinderelly Posts: 16Registered Users
    Thanks for the tips, everyone! Sorry, I haven't been on in a few days. :) The product recs are great--sixelamy: I have quite fine hair, so might have to try the AG re:coil. I've heard amazing things about it!

Here's another question for all you wavy gurus: My hair is very elastic, and stretches quite a bit without breaking. However, when I was doing the elasticity test, I noticed that once stretched, my hair just gets sort of kinky (like sprung elastic) and doesn't return to its previous shape AT ALL. What does this mean I need? I thought I read somewhere that it really needs protein, even moreso than just average fine hair...what say you all?

On a side note, I got a diffuser last week, yay! It defintely perks my curl up, but I'm also concerned that as such a new curly girl, it could be keeping me from remoisturizing my hair as effectively. Perhaps I should give it a break for a bit.

• skatejskatej Posts: 3Registered Users
    My favorite gel is actually aloe vera gel for skin! I get the kind that doesn't have any dyes or scents in it, and it works quite well. I scrunch in a ton of it, then wait for it to dry before "releasing it from its gel casing" and have lovely curls. Sometimes I add a tiny dollop of the Beautiful Curls wavy to curly gel with the aloe for a bit more moisture, mix it all together in my palms and go to town.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file