First experience with KCCC

ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So I broke down and bought a tub of KCCC to experiment with. I notice in video after video how curlies can just pull product through their hair and the curls come right back. Historically, my waves get pulled right out entirely when I do that, so I have always scrunched product in, keeping towards the front, as the back has no problem curling.

But with KCCC, I tried to sorta pull the product in versus scrunching it in. It seemed to work ok, did seem to pull straight tho. My hair is barely shoulder length so it wasn't that much pulling, more like placing it, but anyways.

I've used it twice and omg does it bring the curl out! It seriously clumps! Plus it made it take longer to diffuse dry. I didn't know my hair had as much wave in the front.

I am delighted to see such definition because I really, really struggle with frizz and definition.

But here's one peculiar thing with KCCC. My hair will clump and define like crazy, immediately. Then within 4 hours or so, it fluffs out and gets slightly frizzy, then by end of day, it's clumped up again somehow. And I hardly touch it after its dry, all day, I barely ever touch it. Is that weird? Maybe I am not using enough? In videos, it looks like people slather it in pretty heavy...I have 2a hair, so I don't know if I need as much as others.
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ttoosday wrote: »
    So I broke down and bought a tub of KCCC to experiment with. I notice in video after video how curlies can just pull product through their hair and the curls come right back. Historically, my waves get pulled right out entirely when I do that, so I have always scrunched product in, keeping towards the front, as the back has no problem curling.

But with KCCC, I tried to sorta pull the product in versus scrunching it in. It seemed to work ok, did seem to pull straight tho. My hair is barely shoulder length so it wasn't that much pulling, more like placing it, but anyways.

I've used it twice and omg does it bring the curl out! It seriously clumps! Plus it made it take longer to diffuse dry. I didn't know my hair had as much wave in the front.

I am delighted to see such definition because I really, really struggle with frizz and definition.

But here's one peculiar thing with KCCC. My hair will clump and define like crazy, immediately. Then within 4 hours or so, it fluffs out and gets slightly frizzy, then by end of day, it's clumped up again somehow. And I hardly touch it after its dry, all day, I barely ever touch it. Is that weird? Maybe I am not using enough? In videos, it looks like people slather it in pretty heavy...I have 2a hair, so I don't know if I need as much as others.

Did you use anything on top of it?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't use anything on top or under the KCCC. I had cowashed and conditioned but rinsed both of those out
    CG since 11/2014
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    When your hair changed in the middle of the day and at the end of the day, what were you doing/where were you during these time?
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Well let's see, the first time I used it was a couple days ago, I was off work and I did spend some time outside as we had an installation done at our house outside and my husband and I supervised the work crew for a couple of hours. It's very cold and dry right now in our part of the US. And today, I came to work as usual and I have been sitting at my desk all day, haven't gone outside at all.
    The only thing I can think is maybe it's not getting 100% dry during diffusing in the am. So maybe as its drying completely, it's puffing out of its definition. And then by end of day, it's settling into clumps again?
    CG since 11/2014
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd be willing to bet, you're right! I was doing something similar by diffusing (I usually air dry, but it's been very cold for an extended period of time) and thinking it was totally dry. It wasn't. I now diffuse until I think it's dry, but wait an hour or two afterwards to crunch out any crunch, or to touch.
    Aaargh! Haha. So maybe I need to apply more of it so that when it does dry, it won't puff out. I'm scared it will build up and feel gunky.
    CG since 11/2014
    You do have to be careful with KCCC getting too heavy. It's a tricky product. I never could get the hang of it but Camille Rose CurlMaker which is very similar is my HG and no where near as finicky.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    I use mine in 2 separate applications. Once when sopping wet, and another after I've scrunched out excess water with my microfiber towel. I use a lot and don't have any feeling gunky issues. This only happens to me when I use it on dry or damp hair. I find I don't even need to scrunch out any crunch - I just flip my head upside down and shake my head, then whip it back up. Scrunching too early may be a cause, but I'm not sure how your hair clumps back to normal at the end of the day?
    It's very possible I need to use more. Today I added it to wet hair but not like sopping dripping hair. I had squeezed it one really good with a t-shirt. I shall try next time to put it in before I even exit the shower and use alot and see how that goes. I like the definition I get when it's clumped. I want that to last, but not look wet or be crunchy.
    CG since 11/2014
    Well it's been a couple of weeks at least i starting using kinky curly curling custard and I'm getting frustrated. It kinda worked for about three days and it has gotten slowly worse since then. I'm still frizzy, my waves are all over the place and un-uniform, they just stick out all weird, halfway wavy halfway straight. I just want to shave it all off and start all over.
    Am I not using enough? Do I need to slather this stuff on like super heavy? I try to use small amounts because my hair gets gunky so easily.
    I clarify about once a week. Growth is just sooo slooow. This chin/shoulder length is killing me.
    CG since 11/2014
    ttoosday wrote: »
    Well it's been a couple of weeks at least i starting using kinky curly curling custard and I'm getting frustrated. It kinda worked for about three days and it has gotten slowly worse since then. I'm still frizzy, my waves are all over the place and un-uniform, they just stick out all weird, halfway wavy halfway straight. I just want to shave it all off and start all over.
    Am I not using enough? Do I need to slather this stuff on like super heavy? I try to use small amounts because my hair gets gunky so easily.
    I clarify about once a week. Growth is just sooo slooow. This chin/shoulder length is killing me.

My experience with KCCC is too much is just greasy looking. That's why I like CurlMaker. Lot harder to over do. Are you using a leave in? What conditioners are you using?
    You don't want to use a lot, it's a very concentrated product. If you need to use more, use a separate application a little at a time, don't slather it all on at once or you may be sorry. For my shoulder length hair, I only need a dime size amount.

You may want to look into other products you are using and how you use them.

What do you clarify with? A sulfate? If you do this once a week your hair is going to be frizzy and dry. Recently I used a baby shampoo I thought for sure was sulfate free. My hair turned dry and frizzy and I just couldn't figure it out. When I realized, it made sense. You don't need a sulfate to clarify, cocamidopropyl betaine is much gentler and does the trick to get buildup out. Depending upon if you have hard water or not, you may need tetrasodium EDTA. CJ Daily Fix has both of these, and it's a cowash. Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner has cocamidopropyl betaine and is great for keeping the buildup away. You can also try ION Crystal Clarifying treatment - it's a powder you mix with water, you can get it at Sally's if you have one - no need for a shampoo when you use this, and it's really a hair saver.
    chupie wrote: »

My experience with KCCC is too much is just greasy looking. That's why I like CurlMaker. Lot harder to over do. Are you using a leave in? What conditioners are you using?
    I don't use a leave in. That is def a way to gunk me up. I tried leaving in a tiny bit (and I do mean tiny) of my rinse out, GVPCB, but it was too heavy. Then I tried to leave in my cowash, tresemme naturals moisture cond, and even it felt gunky. So I typically just don't use one.
    CG since 11/2014
    sixelamy wrote: »
    You don't want to use a lot, it's a very concentrated product. If you need to use more, use a separate application a little at a time, don't slather it all on at once or you may be sorry. For my shoulder length hair, I only need a dime size amount.

You may want to look into other products you are using and how you use them.

What do you clarify with? A sulfate? If you do this once a week your hair is going to be frizzy and dry. Recently I used a baby shampoo I thought for sure was sulfate free. My hair turned dry and frizzy and I just couldn't figure it out. When I realized, it made sense. You don't need a sulfate to clarify, cocamidopropyl betaine is much gentler and does the trick to get buildup out. Depending upon if you have hard water or not, you may need tetrasodium EDTA. CJ Daily Fix has both of these, and it's a cowash. Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner has cocamidopropyl betaine and is great for keeping the buildup away. You can also try ION Crystal Clarifying treatment - it's a powder you mix with water, you can get it at Sally's if you have one - no need for a shampoo when you use this, and it's really a hair saver.
    I do have hard water yes. My water softener endeavor didn't work out so I'm still fighting that battle. I clarify with diluted suave. Great idea about the ion clarifying treatment. I may give that a try. Other good product suggestions too, thanks, I'll keep those in mind. I'm also betting the weather could be having an impact maybe. It's very dry and cold and windy right now and gives me another reason to hate winter.
    CG since 11/2014
    Ok, so hard water gunky, I definitely know the feeling. I could barely use any product when I had hard water. I found Yes to Cucumber shampoo to be gentle enough, but still effective as it contains citric acid. You can also add some lemon to water and use that as a chelator as listed in the Curly Girl Handbook. There's a thread called The Lemon-Aid Experiment or something along those lines.

I'm trying to remember what leave in I used with hard water that didn't make me feel so gunky.... and I can't remember if there were any. lol The only deep conditioner that ever worked on me was Sevi Pumpkin Seed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights