New to this -- need some help!

kenyaoneillkenyaoneill Posts: 8Registered Users
A few months ago I got a hair cut (angled bob) and I decided to see what my hair looked like wavy. Got some mousse, and scrunched it up, and it was a lot wavier, so I invested in a diffuser and I've been using that just about every time I wash my hair. I'm generally trying to see if anyone has any ideas as to what could make my hair look more wavy -- I've attached photos so that you all can see what I'm working with. I'm pretty sure I'm a 2A. These are first day curls and you can ignore the duck face I'm making in the second one (lol). I've been using Organix for shampoo & conditioner although today I will go out and get the devacurl shampoo & conditioner. I've also started to use other devacurl products (the B leave in conditioner mostly). I've heard that devacurl isn't the best, but I'm basically just trying to move away from products that definitely have sulfates and alcohols, and this seems to be a quick fix.

In general, my hair gets oily quickly so I feel like I still have to wash it about every 2-3 days. But when I don't wash it, my hair becomes dead and it basically just looks straight (slightly oily, sometimes frizzy), and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to revive second day hair.

I haven't tried any masques or protein treatments or anything, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
2B (I think?), not really sure of my hair properties yet.

Mod CG: Currently testing out a lot of products and seeing what works best. Right now, I'm using As I Am Clarifying Shampoo, As I Am Cowash, DevaCurl One Condition, As I Am Curling Jelly, DevaCurl Moisture Lock, and ION Reconstructor.

Still looking to try Curl Junkie, Camille Rose, AG Recoil, Briogeo.

Looking for products that will give my hair more volume -- if you have any recommendations, let me know!!

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cute cute style. Your back is way more 2b than a. Lovely. Pretty common to have the straighter front pieces. And I make no secret that I will occasionally wand curl just a couple of those front strands to match the rest of my hair. There are only about two small clumps on the canopy but they make an amazing difference.

Check the videos in my signature here or Wavy Hair Tutorials, user chupie on YouTube for lots of wavy tips and techniques that may help. Also my blog https://wavynation.wordpress.com/ that I just started.

B'lieve In works for me well in the summer but there are a LOT of products out there you may like better. Of course using a hard hold gel like LA Looks Sports Extreme, Biosilk Rock Hard Gel (most wavys' favorite), or Volumax Mega gel from Sally's will really bump up the curl and lasting bounce of your full wave. You trade some softness for it though.

The only mousse I have found so far that I like is Ouidad Playcurl. Not too bad on the coated feeling front. I Have just tried Jane Carter's Wrap and Roll. Not much hold, but man, makes your hair nice and soft and moisturized. It has great promise with other products but I still need to experiment. Definitely NOT going to make your hair feel too heavy or coated.

I encourage you to look through also my instagram @thewavynation_ or twitter feed @thewavynation to see some daily logging I do of my waves where I list products.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree, your curls look more 2b in back. Pretty! I have good luck with mousse and I brush a small section and wrap it around a straw. People might think I have a problem because I have straws in different sizes at home and work. Also google skip curl. Have fun and good luck!
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • kenyaoneillkenyaoneill Posts: 8Registered Users
    See, when my hair is long, the curls flatten out and it looks way more 2A. Now that it's so much shorter, it looks more 2B, and I don't think that the curls will still look 2B when it gets longer, but I guess we'll see!

I'll definitely try out some of the products that you all are mentioning.

Has anyone tried Briogeo or Living Proof?

Mod CG: Currently testing out a lot of products and seeing what works best. Right now, I'm using As I Am Clarifying Shampoo, As I Am Cowash, DevaCurl One Condition, As I Am Curling Jelly, DevaCurl Moisture Lock, and ION Reconstructor.

Looking for products that will give my hair more volume -- if you have any recommendations, let me know!!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love Briogeo Curl Charisma. They call it a leave in definer but it has a little hold too.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    noodly wrote: »
    Heyyy welcome to this forum :toothy7:

Anyways, I encourage you to try protein treatments. If your hair likes it allot then thats a good thing! Protein has made me independant on hairproducts such as gels and mousse(I'm still dependant on moisturizing combined with protein agents such as leavins because my hair is pretty dry) and my hair survives til day 4 now! And I'm super lazy so I just sleep on my hair and I dont give a flick! Hair on back is flat next day because...I slept on it for 8 hours(sometimes more hihihi) but I just shake it away with my hair flipped upside down and scrunch it a bit with a leave in(filled with a load of protein and moisturizing agents) and diffuse it for a few seconds with cold air. And thats it. I also want to mention that it not only helps me with getting stronger waves, it also helps when my hair is oily. This week for no reason my hair has gotten sooo oily and then I just decided to do a heavy protein treatment and now my hair is back to "normal". And another pluspunt is that my hair looks soo much thicker now(my hair now looks 30% thicker than in my profile picture - all thanks to the awesome balance of the right proteins and moisture) Wow I've been advocating protein for fine haired wavies allot. But this is what helped me, so maybe it will help you.

An eggwhite mask isnt hydrolyzed i know i know BUT if your happens to hate protein you arent stucked with an useless product so I recommend you to first try using an eggwhite mask. If you see improvement, you know what to do. I recommend personally to use the elvive nutri gloss line. All are filled with proteins and moisturizing things in one :). And the products are very goodlooking if I do say so myself.

P.S you're very pretty

Thank you so much!

I want to try the eggwhite mask -- is it literally just eggs, or do I need to add something to it? I've never done any masks on my hair haha

I still haven't tried the egg whites, but I'll probably do it tonight.

I have another concern though -- how do I know if silicones have built up in my hair? I had used Organix for probably over a year now (still not completely sure if their products have silicones and sulphates in them?) but then I still used other products that I'm sure had silicones in them.. When I cut my hair, I stopped using other products and started using only devacurl just because I know that all of their products do not have silicones and sulfates, but I'm reading that I should have done one last wash to wash out all the silicones or else it would all build up in my hair. I'm wondering if I should still do that wash even though I've been using only devacurl for at least 3 weeks at this point.

noodly wrote: »
    ^ well since its just a test to see if your hair loves it I'd try just the pure raw eggwhites. You could also mix the egg itself since it also contains loads of protein, but it stinks sooooo bad and takes a good 3 washes until you get rid of the shampoo.

So I just used egg whites in my hair ... How exactly do you know if your hair loves protein? lol I feel so uninformed in all of this.. I don't see any real difference in my hair right now and some parts look a little more frizzy than normal. I'm wondering - does it make a difference if I do the egg white treatment before or after I clean my hair? As in shampoo & condition and then egg white treatment or egg white treatment first and then shampoo & condition? I want to try again just in case maybe I didn't do something right because I've been reading everywhere that thin hair loves protein and I would say that my hair is thin/medium.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file