Apple cider vinegar wash cause more oil in scalp?

MIA1487MIA1487 Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Neophyte
For the first time I used Apple Cider Vinegar alone to wash my hair(4c texture)
I noticed that the oil production from my scalp came back with a vengeance after usage.
My hair was clean for the first 3-4 days then it HAD to be washed.

Normally my hair doesn't produce this much oil from my scalp so quickly(which means I have to wash my hair more frequently).
It usually produces this much oil in at least 2 weeks.

BTW I dont EVER put oil on my scalp because my scalp produces enough anyway. So I KNOW it was the apple cider vinegar I applied to my scalp

I think I may use apple cider vinegar along with shampoo next time.

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Did you use straight ACV? If so, a typical ACV wash /rinse is done with diluted ACV. ACV is sorta drying, so if you used it without sufficient dilution, I'm not surprised your oil production went into overdrive. Back when I used ACV rinses, I used about a tablespoon of ACV in a cup of water. Others find their hair will only tolerate around a teaspoon in a cup of water.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • MIA1487MIA1487 Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    Did you use straight ACV? If so, a typical ACV wash /rinse is done with diluted ACV. ACV is sorta drying, so if you used it without sufficient dilution, I'm not surprised your oil production went into overdrive. Back when I used ACV rinses, I used about a tablespoon of ACV in a cup of water. Others find their hair will only tolerate around a teaspoon in a cup of water.

OHHHH OK that is probably it! I didn't dilute the ACV. I thought not diluting it would make it better at cleaning the scalp. Next time i'll dilute and then shampoo my hair afterwords.
  • piggybearpiggybear Posts: 32Registered Users
    wow! that is helpful! I did not know that I am supposed to dilute it. Maybe that is the solution my oily hair. I will try it. :toothy7:
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, always dilute it. Some people will use as little as 1 teaspoon ACV to 1 cup of water. I do 50-50 or 25-75 but I'm a 2b and my scalp gets really itchy/oily... Then I get dermatitis and creamy flaking.

Also, some people find it best to let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse thoroughly. I comb mine through the first 4 inches of my hair, wait 2 minutes, then rinse. I normally leave the length of my hair up in a bun to keep it from getting really wet between full washes.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file