Flowers

claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
What do you do when a bouquet hasn't faded, but the stems have begun rotting and the leaves falling off? I always hate tossing out a pretty bloom.

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Has there been leaves in the water? This is the #1 thing that rots stems. Most florists don't remove them, I think it's pure stupid.

Have you tried trimming the stems and putting the arrangement in a different container? Also, if you ever have roses that are starting to go bad, pull off the bad petals on the outside and the new petals underneath make them look like new.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    I always remove any leaves that will be under water. I've never had the stems rot before the flowers wilt but if that did happen, I would just trim up the stems and put the flowers in a shorter vase.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    If all the leaves were removed in advance, the flowers would wilt faster.

Not all the leaves, the ones under the water level. It makes the flowers last longer.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    I'll look again. I thought I'd tried that.

I've also tried doing a fresh cut with fresh water and then boom! Wilt city.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Scottsdale, AZRegistered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    Just throw the damn flowers away.:tongue3:
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Registered Users Posts: 468
    What I have done many times is let the flowers take up as much water as possible and then dry up.
    I have an affinity to keeping dried roses and other gorgeous flowers.
    For me, that is a way that they never go away, so to speak.
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
    The petals started falling off and I found one of the dogs eating them, so I tossed what remained. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file