Anyone else not like shea moisture porducts?

shishacurlsshishacurls Registered Users Posts: 88
Am I the only one that cannot get any of the shea moisture products to work in my hair? I don't know what is in all the products that my hair does not like, but they all leave my hair feeling dry. I don't know if the shea butter is too heavy for my hair or what it is...

My hair also hates coconut oil which all other curlies seem to love...and I am protein sensitive so it has been very hard for me to find products that work for me...and I also have hard water.

Is there anyone else that can NOT use any of the shea moisture products, products with coconut oil, and products containing protein? If you have the same issue as me, what products have worked for you? I would like some suggestions for shampoos, conditioners, and curl creams...

I have 3b curls and my hair is low porosity

Thanks!

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    I've only tried the smoothie, but my hair wasn't a fan. Many of them contain protein or glycerin or both, if your hair objects to either of those.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • insideout2010insideout2010 Registered Users Posts: 1
    I'm not a Shea Moisture fan either. I've tried a few different lines and they are not moisturizing / too oily for me.
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    I've only tried the smoothie and it only held my curl and moisture in for a day. I'm not about to pay that much for a product that only works on wash day.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I love the SM Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo and that'll remain my HG shampoo. As for the other SM products, I've only ever tried two others: the restorative conditioner, and the smoothie. The conditioner was good, but I've since found better so don't really think it's worth the price. I absolutely hated the smoothie. Like, seriously detested it.

So yeah, the shampoo is probably my favourite product ever, but the rest of the range isn't really my thing
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I don't like them either. Although I have not tried them since I switched to soft water. I'm curious if they would work better for me now that I don't have untreated extremely hard water. I never did get them to work for me. Although my hair felt great, it was a frizzy mess. Now that green label one.. the keratin one - that was a disaster. And the masque gave me hugely flat curls.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Registered Users Posts: 1,033
    I've never been able to make SM products work. They are far too heavy for me. Those butters build up, too and may be why your hair feels dry.

I stopped using coconut oil awhile ago because it didn't seem to do anything to my hair anymore. When I had very porous hair it seemed to respond better. Try avocado oil! It penetrates a bit and was recommended to me in my GoosefootPrints hair analysis. If you're having trouble selecting products, you may want to look into that, actually.

My hair used to love protein but no longer needs as much and when I use too much I get very nasty straw hair. Sometimes it is very hard to find protein free hair gel. Shampoo and conditioners are a little bit easier to find, but still I do a lot of ingredient reading. If you go to the Sciencey Hair Blog and go to the product list she keeps, you can easily see what items do contain proteins.

Hope that helps! .

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Registered Users Posts: 1,033
    Oh btw right now I use Giovanni tea tree as my low poo, Body Shop Banana conditioner, and sometimes V05 tea therapy conditioner. I've had some success with Tresemme naturals conditioner but it's a little heavy sometimes. For a styling product I have been using American Crew firm hold and mixing it with Paul Mitchell's tea tree gel. The American Crew is a little too stiff on its own for me. I've been struggling with styling products lately but I think that combo is working for me. Also, I didn't love it but some curries really liked Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha. That is crunchy and protein free!

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• nicurlynicurly Registered Users Posts: 46 Curl Connoisseur
    I hated the Smoothie as well. I could not get it to work for me no matter what combination I used. It ALWAYS left me with stringy curls, same with the styler lotion. I do like the Restorative conditioner treatment but found it too expensive (at least here in Canada) for the amount I have to use. It's a shame because I liked how moisturizing the products are in my hair:(
    My hair is naturally a combination of 3B/3C. No longer texturized. All natural! CG Routine: Devapoo, One condition or Elucence. Loving curl creams: AG Recoil, Mop Curl Cream, KMS Curl Cream and never without CK. Gels: HE SMU and KCCC with a little BRHG on top.
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I have tried a lot and the only ones I like are the purification mask and the restorative shampoo. The shampoo I pretty much use as a cowash between my weekly shampoo. The smoothie, the milks, the mousse, the restorative andblack soap conditioners, hibicus shampoo, elixer, and mist were all abig NO! My hair is greasy and there is a buildup issue. The deep treatment did nothing for me. I had to add stuff. I was was recently given the JBCO keratin masque and it was okay but not a repurchase. I was also given CH conditioner and JBCO growth leave in which I'm not sure yet if I will even try.

fyi My hair is low porosity and not the bigest fan of coconut oil.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    I have not had any luck with them either. They are far too heavy and my hair just doesn't do well with that much shea butter in products. It is too bad because I love how readily available they are.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • ultracurlzultracurlz Registered Users Posts: 213 Curl Neophyte
    my hair hates it. it moisturizes a bit but builds up so fast and doesn't define anything. my hair ends up soft but frizzy and dull.

i'm also not hot about the smell. its perfumy.
    3C/4A mix (Seriously it's all over the place)
    Hair is kinda fine and kinda thick.
    Super short, I'd like definition but styling products don't like me

Profile pic taken the February 2015
    Chopped off (was shoulder length) November 2014
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Registered Users Posts: 248 Curl Connoisseur
    I've only tried the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, but I found it was too heavy for my hair. The styling results with it were "meh," but I've gotten much better results from Curls Creme Brule curl cream, either alone or mixed with Curls Goddess Curls gel.
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Some hits, some misses

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    When I got my great new haircut, the stylist used the Shea Moisture Smoothie. I love the haircut but the Smoothie is too rich and heavy for my hair. It weighed it down. I might like it if I only used a little bit at a time but I'm trying to keep my pj under control, so won't buy it.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • corinniePopcorinniePop Registered Users Posts: 138 Curl Neophyte
    I tried the gel souffle and it was an absolute disaster. Like, have you ever seen the gel souffle? It looks like evil clear tapioca. It was all icky and globby and hard to use and left globs in my hair. I guess it defined my curls, but my hair was like...gummy. I don't even know how else to describe it, but it was really gross. I had to wash two days in a row because it made my whole face feel greasy. A truly terrible experience.
  • BeebopBeebop Registered Users Posts: 457 Curl Novice
    The only Shea moisture product that worked for me was the shampoo, the conditioner had no slip and the styling products leave me stringy & undefined. I also don't do well with a lot of protein, it leaves my hair very brittle, hard & dry.
    If you like natural products, I love the new Desert essence mango shampoo & conditioner and use conditioner as a leave in too. Also the coconut version. As for a styler, my HG is the condition 3-in-1 mousse at CVS, never lets me down. HTH!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Leave In- Conditioner large pea size
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
  • breenisticobreenistico Registered Users Posts: 28
    Yeah I find Shea moisture products didn't work on my hair. I tried numerous products and the same result happened -- frizzy dry hair. I think it's because I'm protein sensitive though. I loved their body washes but the hair products never worked for me.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    My hair doesn't like it either. I'm not quite sure why, yet. I've never had problems with glycerin, and my hair loves protein. It could just be the Shea butter, because I tried another product with Shea before and my hair did not like that either.
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • AldroAldro Registered Users Posts: 32 Curl Neophyte
    I purchased the smoothie a couple of weeks ago, but it does nothing for my hair. It holds the curls for an hour or so and barely gives any frizz control. A fairly big miss. I don't know if it's the shea butter or one of the other ingredients, I actually have no idea if my hair likes protein and/or glycerin. I do know that I generally get better results with gel, sometimes in combination with some kind or milk or lotion.

Since SM products are pretty expensive and my first purchase was a failure, I doubt I'll be trying anything else from their line.
    2C/3A | Medium Hair | Medium Density | Low Porosity | Medium elasticity

Shampoo: Petal Fresh, Urtekram, Zarqa
    Conditioner: Petal Fresh, Urtekram
    Leave-in: Blueberry Bliss, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Styler: Jessicurl Spiralicious
  • Curly_CakesCurly_Cakes Registered Users Posts: 59 Curl Neophyte
    I know the smoothie didn't work for me when I used it as directed because it didn't provide enough hold. But when I used it as a sealer underneath some gel/jelly then it worked pretty well. Same with using the reconstructing(?) conditioner in the gold label as directed. Using that as a regular conditioner or a leave in was kind of meh but as a pre-poo it was alright.
    2c/3a with maybe a bit of 3b around my temples
    Cowash-As I Am
    PT-GVP Reconstructing Conditioner
    DT-As I Am Hydration Elation
    RO-? GVP Conditioning Balm
    LI- As I Am or KCKT
    Styling products-KCCC or As I am Curling Jelly
    Sealers- SM Smoothie or Mizani Supreme oil
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Shishacurls, if you can't use coconut oil, you can try sunflower oil. I can't use coconut oil either (makes my hair crispy), but sunflower oil is also excellent for penetrating the hair shaft--which would be beneficial for you as a low-porosity curly. I find that when I can't get any conditioners to really moisturize my hair, it is time for a pre-poo with sunflower oil.

I just tried my first SM product the other day. I bought the 10-in-1 conditioner. My hair seems to like shea butter a lot (it gets really frizzy and is porous, so the shea butter helps seal and add a little weight), but I wasn't super enthused about the conditioner. It seemed less moisturizing, I think because it is very heavy on emollients as opposed to humectants. And there wasn't much protein. But I might try it as a sealer or as a leave-in, and it might work better in the winter.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CurlySiaCurlySia Registered Users Posts: 164
    With the exception of the Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Detangler, none of their products I've tried work for me either. I'd always get tempted when I see one of the awesome sales lol and am quickly reminded of why I don't use their products.
    4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
  • CuriousAquariusCuriousAquarius Registered Users Posts: 41
    Yeah I never understood the big hype. I tried the deep conditioner in the yellow container which was the worst thing ever. I tried the the whole Curl and Shine line in the pink bottle, which didnt do anything for me. BUT I do love the JBCO and professional line
    Products I use:
    Shampoo: SM JBCO shampoo/ ACV rinses
    Cowash: Taliah Waajad Creamy Cowash
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50/ Giovanni Tea Tree
    Leave-in: CJ Curl Assurance/ SM Strengthening Milk
    Deep conditioner: EVA Nye/ ORS Hair Mayo
    Oils: Apricot oil/ Avocado oil/ Coconut oil

Current (working on) Regimen:
    ACV rinses once a month
    SLS shampoo and deep condition once a week
    Protein treatment: 2x a month
    Cowash midweek
    Leave-in + oil everyday
  • juanabjuanab Registered Users Posts: 4,037 Curl Neophyte
    Actually to me the big hype is they have so many products, there is more than likely something that can work for your hair. There are also the lines for the body, for men and babies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Registered Users Posts: 310
    It's been a while but I tried several of their products in the past and my hair hated them. I found most of the products were too heavy for my curls, did nothing for my frizz and the smoothie was absolutely awful! The worst part was that I really wanted to love the Shea Moisture products especially because they are sold just about EVERYWHERE.

I recently started using the AO Honeysuckle Rose and to my understanding it contains little to no protein. I've been very pleased with it but I'm going to try the White Camellia next.:thumright:
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ashe0000Ashe0000 Registered Users Posts: 32 Curl Novice
    It is good to know that I am not the “odd woman out”.  It does not seem to matter which product I use from shea moisture I tend to experience something similar to what everyone is experiencing. 

Shampoos:

African Black Soap Deep Cleansing shampoo
    -really dried it out

Moisrure Retention: left a yuck film and did not retation moisture.  Hair felt hard. 

Conditioners:
    Low Porosity
    —Made my hair feel like straw and the mint was way too overpowering 

Restorative:
    sat on it and slid off...leaving me with hair that was brittle and dry

Stylers:

curl-enhancing smoothie:
    - thick (which I did not mind) but did not actually enhance Curl, just made my hair greasy and still rough 

Souflle: my hair was left feeling like kanekalon braiding hair, tbh.  Like my hair was actually made of plastic.  

I don’t think I’ll be wasting another dime on SM proflducts. They simply see just too experience for me to use and them to not be effective.  

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I have not like most of their products I have tried.  There are 1 or 2 I may consider buying again, but only if I run out of other options.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • skydrivejoskydrivejo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    I tried the smoothie, but I don't like it at all. My hair feels bad about it. My friend tried a few products and doesn't like it too 
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    I use a SM shampoo (in my sig) and it works very well. In fact, that's the only SM product that I've tried and had good results with. I tried the African Black Soap bar for my skin because it was said to fade acne scars. However, after using it once or twice, I developed 2-3 new pimples on my face!

Now that I have my routine down packed and my curls look the best they've looked since going natural, I don't have the desire to try new products (especially SM ones). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Registered Users Posts: 248 Curl Connoisseur
    An update:  I've tried (and actually love!) SM Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil shampoo--but I still don't like their deep conditioners or styling products.  I have low porosity hair--and that's probably why.  The products just sit on my hair and make it greasy.
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file