Braiding my hair to dry during the day takes forever! Help!

peahatpeahat Posts: 1Registered Users
Hi there. I'm new here, so let me know if this is in the wrong place or something!

I have 2C hair that I'm finally getting sort of under control! I cowash, gently dry my hair with a t-shirt, and apply Moroccan Oil before putting it in a braid to dry. I like the outcome of this method, as it makes my curls less voluminous and more wavy, which I prefer. My hair is fairly long (it's about 2/3 down my back) and extremely thick, which is why I like it wavy because it's less overwhelming.

The only problem is that it takes FOREVER to dry! I find that leaving it in until about 1-2PM gives the best results. I put it in a braid, loosen it up, and when it starts to get a little frizzy I take it out, brush out my hair with my fingers, and put it back in a braid. I was thinking about trying this method while I sleep to save some drying time, but I'm a rough sleeper and I'm 100% sure the braid would fall out. The other thing is that my hair is incredibly malleable. If I bend or twist the braid while sleeping it's going to come out wonky. Any suggestions for sleeping with a braid? It becomes very soft when I wrap it up, like in a scarf or a t-shirt. So I was wondering maybe I could wrap it somehow?

Thanks for reading! :reindeer:

Comments

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You could just sleep with a scarf on
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    A friend of mine who has very, very thick straight hair used to braid it after she washed her hair too. She complained that it took several days to dry. If I put my thick hair up at all while it's wet, it will still be wet when I take it down. I think the only thing you could do to dry your braid more quickly would be to use a hair dryer on the braid. Perhaps put your braid up and use the "bonnet" attachment some dryers have?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • wavesandsmileswavesandsmiles Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Novice
    My hair takes forever to dry too, when I braid it I usually wait until it is damp rather than wet and it still works for me. Or I use a hair dryer
    CG since June 2011 :)
    2b/c, thick, medium/coarse, low-medium porosity
    full Chinese Canadian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file