Braiding my hair to dry during the day takes forever! Help!

peahatpeahat Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi there. I'm new here, so let me know if this is in the wrong place or something!

I have 2C hair that I'm finally getting sort of under control! I cowash, gently dry my hair with a t-shirt, and apply Moroccan Oil before putting it in a braid to dry. I like the outcome of this method, as it makes my curls less voluminous and more wavy, which I prefer. My hair is fairly long (it's about 2/3 down my back) and extremely thick, which is why I like it wavy because it's less overwhelming.

The only problem is that it takes FOREVER to dry! I find that leaving it in until about 1-2PM gives the best results. I put it in a braid, loosen it up, and when it starts to get a little frizzy I take it out, brush out my hair with my fingers, and put it back in a braid. I was thinking about trying this method while I sleep to save some drying time, but I'm a rough sleeper and I'm 100% sure the braid would fall out. The other thing is that my hair is incredibly malleable. If I bend or twist the braid while sleeping it's going to come out wonky. Any suggestions for sleeping with a braid? It becomes very soft when I wrap it up, like in a scarf or a t-shirt. So I was wondering maybe I could wrap it somehow?

Thanks for reading! :reindeer:

Comments

• RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    You could just sleep with a scarf on
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Banned Users Posts: 1,099 Curl Neophyte
    A friend of mine who has very, very thick straight hair used to braid it after she washed her hair too. She complained that it took several days to dry. If I put my thick hair up at all while it's wet, it will still be wet when I take it down. I think the only thing you could do to dry your braid more quickly would be to use a hair dryer on the braid. Perhaps put your braid up and use the "bonnet" attachment some dryers have?
  • wavesandsmileswavesandsmiles Registered Users Posts: 59 Curl Novice
    My hair takes forever to dry too, when I braid it I usually wait until it is damp rather than wet and it still works for me. Or I use a hair dryer
    CG since June 2011 :)
    2b/c, thick, medium/coarse, low-medium porosity
    full Chinese Canadian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file