DIY Coconut Milk Protein Treatment ?

CruzanCurlz89CruzanCurlz89 Posts: 10Registered Users
So it's been awhile since I've done a treatment on my hair & I think my hair is frizzy n my curls aren't as defined because I have only been d.c.

I used to love to make a homemade treatment of: 1/3 can of coconut milk, 1 ripe mashed banana, 1/2 tsp olive oil, 1 Tbs coconut oil & 2tbs honey.
It was initially supposed to be a deep conditioner but it definitely felt like more of a protein treatment on my hair since I had to follow up with a conditioner.

(I learned working at the salon from a vet stylist that protein tends to push moisture out of hair so it's always good to follow with a conditioner).

Has anyone else realized that coconut milk seems more like a protein treatment than a conditioning one?
3c/4a // High Density // Med-Low Porosity // Med-Course Texture

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Coconut milk felt like too much protein on my hair, but so did mayo plus unflavored gelatin, and a mix of half oil half honey (with no protein). I came to the conclusion that it was more the oils than the protein for my hair, but I could be wrong. I also came to that conclusion because each time my hair didn't feel right to me again until I washed it.

I did and still use hydrolyzed collagen in the form of unflavored gelatin weekly treatments with no problems. I mix the gelatin with 1/3 c. boiling water, 3-5 drops of acv, some drops of oil, eyeball conditioner, aloe vera juice, and honey so this might be the difference. I also have made and used successfully a hair gel out of the gelatin. I haven't tested out whether or not my hair loves proteins other than hydrolyzed collagen, so again it could end up being a totally different story.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file