CurlTalk

Why is my 2nd day hair better than my 1st day hair? (pics included)

So the first photo is of my hair on Christmas day - 1st day hair. Then the second photo is of the next day - 2nd day hair. Christmas night I slept with it in a pony tail on top of my head and then scrunched some water into my hair when I woke up. I LOVE the 2nd photo of my hair. Oh how I wish my hair could look like that every day!

I just don't understand why it looks SO much more amazing on Day 2 than on Day 1. (And it doesn't always look this amazing on Day 2.)

Also, can anyone tell by these pictures what my hair type might be?

Christmas Day - 1st Day Hair: (sorry so big...not sure how to make it smaller...)
ChristmasHair.jpg

Day After Christmas - 2nd Day Hair:
ChristmasDayAfterHair.jpg
~Laura~

2a/b hair....I think??

Doing my hair curly is all new to me after blow drying and straightening for years.

Currently Using:
- Wash: DevaCare Low-Poo
- Conditioner and Leave-In: Aquage Healing Conditioner
- Style: Got 2 Be Kinkier mousse

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users
    Gorgeous hair! I think what you're liking on day 2 is the volume. Putting the hair up allows the hair to stand up at the roots.

You definitely look like much more than a 2a/b to me. You have complete spiraling going on, more like a 3a. On the very bottom of some curls I see a hint of 3b. 2c would be the loosest pattern, as you have some wave on top, but having the curl pattern start lower down is normal for a 3a.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • intotheirheartsintotheirhearts Posts: 52Registered Users
    Thanks Naturecat!

My hair keeps changing and getting curlier. I was probably more of a 2a/2b when I first wrote that into my signature. Wasn't sure if I am still that or if it has changed. Not all of my hair is spiraly though so it is definitely a combination. Sometimes there are sections that are SUPER spiral though....people ask me if I used a curling iron because it looks just like when you pull a curling iron out and have a spiral coil before loosening it. LOL
    ~Laura~

2a/b hair....I think??

Doing my hair curly is all new to me after blow drying and straightening for years.

Currently Using:

I need to figure out how to get that volume and look of my Day 2 hair all the time, even on Day 1! My hair has always frizzed and not looked good when blow drying it so I can't do that to add volume. However, I may try again with some new tips I learned.
    ~Laura~

2a/b hair....I think??

Currently Using:

And the crazy thing is that I did not expect it to be a good hair day on day 2. But it ended up as my best hair day ever! I love that photo! So I really need that hair all the time.
    ~Laura~

2a/b hair....I think??

Currently Using:

• eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users
    My hair is best at day 3, it's definitely the volume.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I get myself having the same reaction. When I don't struggle a lot to make my curls look good, they look their amazingly best. For myself I think it is that I expect less and get more as a return.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users
    I'm also finding this to be true, 2nd day looks better to me, and the other day I even went out with 3rd day hair. I think it's the volume.
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users
    I've never achieved second day hair, but I will say that my curls look their best when I don't do as much to make them look good. Weird!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I have went for 3rd day hair too but it became a bit dry after some hours. It was the coldest day ever so it was expected. b4a6eb902c0c2ebcc79bbb64d2bb2d87.jpg
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Posts: 373Registered Users
    I have the same "problem"-2nd day hair is usually better than day 1. I think it's both an increase in volume and full decrunching. IMO, it's a good problem to have. I also put my hair on top of my head with a scrunchie and love that I've figured out how to get second day hair; third day hair is usually bun day!;p
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 358Registered Users
    you never know with curly hair
    sometimes mine looks better first day, sometimes second
    When you dampened your hair the second day, it may have caused a bit more curling
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    For myself I think it is that I expect less and get more as a return.

Yes I think this is part of it.

To the OP, I think what you're reacting to is your hair has more volume on day 2, as others mentioned in the thread. I agree with Chupie to try root clipping. I have the Deva clips and clip at the roots and it gives me great volume.

If you're feeling adventurous try this diffusing method: /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dq5VOrNlX9SI" class="Popup It has given me some crazy good results with lots of volume and curl in the past but not every styler/gel I find is great for the flippy method. Volumax Mega and Ouidad Climate Control gels are two that have given me good results with this diffusing method. I also have a really nice diffuser and I think that helps a lot with minimizing frizz, however I initially tried this with a cheapy diffuser and it still worked. I would apply the gel to the hair soaking wet, then plop, then do the flippy method.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    By the way I think your hair is gorgeous both days.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • curlybohocurlyboho Posts: 130Registered Users
    For me I get great second day hair too...funny thing is its less frizzy on day 2 than on day one...Im not exactly sure why? It seems like the curls pop and are more defined.
    Low Porosity-Medium Density

Hair loves all sorts of proteins...my curls come to life in hot humid weather!