Help taming frizzy roots !! 3c/4a/4b

CruzanCurlz89CruzanCurlz89 Posts: 10Registered Users
Hi all! So I have a pic attached of my hate fresh out if the shower. My ends curls but my roots, specifically at the front on my head, are super frizzy. That is where I experience the most frizz but my ends curl. I just would like to achieve a wash & go with more definition especially in that front area, but I have no idea how to get those curls to clump. When I gel my hair down I can see the curl, it's just when I want to leave it loose no gel/stylers work for me.

Should I try smaller sections? I've tried Eco styler & Shea Moisture gel soufflé so far. The mixed chics leave in has given me the best definition from root to end but it still needs something more on top.

Does anyone have hair like this & do u recommend anything?
3c/4a // High Density // Med-Low Porosity // Med-Course Texture

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What ultimately works for you will be individual but I can tell you what worked for me and what my other hair properties are to see if anything helps. My hair is fine textured (feels like a spiderweb is on my arm when a hair is shed), lower density (you definitely have higher density), low porosity, and 3C/4A. My hair takes a long time to dry, even when I wait for awhile with a tshirt on my head after I finish washing and even if I use a diffuser. It also gets build-up really easily and doesn't do oils well. The SM gel souffle slicks my hair back very well if I want to wear a bun but I have to wash my hair soon after using it because it makes it so stiff/gunky. I can't use it on loose hair.

I wear my hair loose 90% of the time. I've found that if I mix conditioner with gel my hair does best for definition. I also get really frizzy roots when I need protein or have been using oils which cause frizz for me. On the other hand, that kind of frizz can also mean that you need more moisture too. Perhaps try deep conditioning every week if you aren't already.

To really help, more information is needed though. What is your routine- what products do you use?
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is it possible you have heat damage in that section? If no my other thoughts is your moisturizing product isn't working well enough for you. or you could benefit from either a henna or protein treatment. Henna and pts are good for strengthening curl patterns but be sure to follow with deep conditioner. Also for my looser sections I find with length and when using a heavier product it tends to weigh my curls down more at the roots. Some curlies get flat roots when their hair is long. But I don't wash and go much so not so bad for me. You could also try finger coiling that part of your hair. A denman can be helpful for clumping.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • CruzanCurlz89CruzanCurlz89 Posts: 10Registered Users
    My hair is high density, I have normal porosity. I shampoo once or twice a month depending on build up & deep condition each time I shampoo. I co wash between washes & finger detangled. I haven't used heat on my hair in more than a year, so no heat damage. I do have to admit I haven't done a protein treatment on awhile :/.

Im a licensed stylist so I know hair properties petty well but you know we aren't taught a lot about natural hair. For the most part it's pretty healthy, it's just the loose styling I struggle with & I don't wear my hair loose often. I protective style a lot. I'm also pregnant right now (8months), so idk if that'll affect it too?

I mainly use the she's moisture lines but I recently started using the kinky curly line & I my hair responds to it much better but again, curl definition is def my main issue. Maybe I should try protein?
    My hair is high density, I have normal porosity. I shampoo once or twice a month depending on build up & deep condition each time I shampoo. I co wash between washes & finger detangled. I haven't used heat on my hair in more than a year, so no heat damage. I do have to admit I haven't done a protein treatment on awhile :/.

Im a licensed stylist so I know hair properties petty well but you know we aren't taught a lot about natural hair. For the most part it's pretty healthy, it's just the loose styling I struggle with & I don't wear my hair loose often. I protective style a lot. I'm also pregnant right now (8months), so idk if that'll affect it too?

I mainly use the she's moisture lines but I recently started using the kinky curly line & I my hair responds to it much better but again, curl definition is def my main issue. Maybe I should try protein?

I think you should try a pt followed by a dc and see if that helps. Maybe a reconstructor. I rarely do pts because I'm protein sensitive however I make it a point to use protein rinseouts. I do sometimes use ayurvedic treatments which mimic protein treatments and I definitely see a difference in the strength of curl pattern. Congrats on the baby.
    Thanks! I will try a protein treatment! I did notice when I was doing them once every two months my curl pattern was more defined... I guess I just got lazy :/

Do you recommend any protein treatments? I used to use the reconstructor by shea moisture. My hair isnt protein sensitive, but the ayurvedic treatment sounds like it'd be worth a try too!
    I do hope the protein treatment works. I replied to another thread that you started, but I've tried coconut milk, mayonnaise, unflavored gelatin, the shea moisture masque for fine hair, and the aphogee 2-step treatment. The trial started last spring, but the only one that I have kept is the gelatin treatment.

I've also heard that Curl Junkie protein treatments are awesome- that they provide protein and excellent conditioning with no need to deep condition after the treatment. I think the product names are curl fix and curl rehab. My loose recipe for the gelatin treatment was started off of the protein treatment from www.science-yhairblog.com, but I don't measure anymore. The blog also has a list of various add-ins that you can try.
    CG since November 2013.

Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Thank you lolo; I saw your other reply too; I will def check it out. All trial & errrrr right?? :)
    Yes, it certainly is! I thought about making this year more trial and error since I just kind of luckily landed on the gelatin treatment that worked so well for me. I started with monthly treatments, then moved to twice monthly, then 3 times a month, and finally weekly treatments. I figured if at any time my hair felt hard after putting the treatment in I'd just skip a week, but it never really happened. I kept that up for a long while, but then I stopped when my schedule got busy this fall. I started having bad frizz again before I realized that I had been skipping them. =(
    CG since November 2013.

I've heard good things about the Nexxus Emergencee one from people who like protein.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file