Does my hair need protein?

KahrinnieKahrinnie Posts: 5Registered Users
I've noticed that if I were to try to pull a whole strand of hair out, it breaks of at a random spot. Also, it doesn't move very much. For example, whether my hair is straight or curly, only the top part moves when I shake my head and the bottom just stays in place.
I did a big chop in April of 2014, after transitioning for about a year. My hair is a 4a in most parts but 4b in some and I deep condition pretty often.
Please help.

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Protein can be such an individual thing. I use protein treatments, and even started using a homemade gel with unflavored gelatin. My hair has less frizz, retains moisture better, and it's better able to withstand things like staying curlier after I pull it or put it in a ponytail.

If nervous, start with using just a protein rinse out on wash day leaving it on for 3 to 5 minutes before rinsing. The less often you wash your hair the longer you would need to see results though.

You could also just try a milder treatment for 5 to 10 minutes. If it feels straw-like afterwards, just deep condition and know you didn't need the protein. If it feels somewhat better and you don't need to deep condition then you know you needed that protein. If it doesn't feel definitely better or worse without needing to deep condition then you may want to try it again- I'd guess at a stronger treatment.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • PadraiginPadraigin Posts: 36Registered Users
    If it breaks easily and is brittle, it may need more moisture and have too much protein. If it stretches without bouncing back, it definitely needs more protein. Hair that breaks easily because it is week needs more protein, but too much protein also causes breakage. If you google moisture or protein for hair, a lot of good articles cone up. I've added a few links that I have. I'm not sure why only one of my links show up, but the one that does seems like a good one.

Black Hair 101 » Blog Archive » Moisture and Protein Maintaining the Balance
  • KahrinnieKahrinnie Posts: 5Registered Users
    Do you have any product recommendations for the protein rinse?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kahrinnie wrote: »
    Do you have any product recommendations for the protein rinse?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App

I know that the vo5 moisture milks have protein in them and a lot of people like them. I tried all of them but my hair didn't respond well to them. One of my favorite blogs, www.science-yhairblog.com has a list of products according to properties such as for detangling, protein, etc. A lot of people also like curl junkie conditioners, some of which have protein like curl fix and repair me. I want to try their products but haven't gotten around to it.

Basically, pretty much any conditioner that is labeled as strengthening probably has protein in it. If it lists hydrolyzed keratin, wheat, oat, quinoa, silk, soy, rice, any of the previous proteins minus hydrolyzed, or amino acids in the ingredients it has protein. If you look at what you already have been using and see these ingredients though you may need to avoid protein to focus on moisture for awhile like the previous poster mentioned.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file