Can't figure out what is good for my hair (and why), particularly conditioners

AnnekeAnneke Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi everyone! First post here, amazed at the great responses people get on this site so I thought I'd give it a try, I hope I'm in the right place! I have been going the natural route and following the curly girl method for the last 2 months. I have been using Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner, from the Restorative line, followed by Kinky Curly Knot Today and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I'm not sure Shea Moisture are the products that have left my hair the absolute softest of all the products but it gets pretty darn close and that's without the silicones and everything else so I was extremely happy with it. I have moved for a few months, however, and I ran out of the conditioner way faster than expected and I can't get it or anything on the CG approved list here (ebay is banned here in Argentina and it's virtually impossible to actually receive things you buy from abroad). I am desperately looking for a replacement CG method conditioner.

While I'm at it I thought I'd mention a bit about my hair in case it helps those who are more curl savvy than me think of possible good matches for my hair:
-my hair hates coconut oil, mayonnaise
-it's also not a fan of olive oil, sunflower oil or apple cider vinegar rinses
-it seems to do ok with apricot kernel oil although it hasn't worked miracles and I haven't really tried it too much
-my hair has always been soooooo much softer in arid regions; anyone know why that is?
-In the past I've tried washing my hair once or twice a week but I noticed it got dry after a couple days. I have found that washing my hair every other day is what gives me consistently soft, healthy-looking hair

Because the shea moisture conditioner worked for me I'm thinking of buying raw ingredients (which I can get here) but from what I read, shea butter sounds heavy like coconut oil. Wondering if the shea moisture conditioner doesn't use a lot of it or just has some magical combination that I'll never be able to replicate if I buy raw shea butter. Wondering if anyone feels like their hair might be similar to mine and has any suggestions. I'm not sure if I'm protein-sensitive but it sounds like those with sufficient/excess protein in their hair tend to not have success with a lot of DIY treatments (mayo, oils, etc) so just hoping there are some natural options out there that I just don't know about. Thanks so much!

Comments

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    I am surprised no one commented on this. What is your curl type?

It sounds like your hair doesn't like protein... Mayo is rich in protein and so is coconut oil. If your hair isn't liking oils it could be because it is low porosity... That would also be a reason it doesn't like protein either.

How are you diluting the ACV? ACV is sometimes only necessary for removing buildup on the scalp. Some people use as little as a teapsoon to one cup of water and get good results.

You should be able to order online from curlmart too if you can't use ebay. That or google local salons and call and ask them if they carry anything that is CG friendly.

A sulfate-free daily care shampoo and conditioner might be all you need. If you can find your curl type you can browse products on curlmart based on curl type.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Just to make a couple of corrections, there is no protein in mayonnaise, and no protein in coconut oi - just look at your labels. So it's not really fair to say her hair doesn't do well with protein.

ACV is used for chelating, not removing product buildup. ACV is helpful if you've washed with something with a basic pH to offset the pH, or to remove hard water minerals.

Shea Moisture tends to use a lot of shea butter in their products, it's always one of the first few ingredients listed. The ingredients list goes from the most to least amount used in the product. Just be mindful that shea butter will not penetrate the hair, it only acts as a barrier between the hair and the elements. It can hold moisture in, that's the good thing about it. Although a lot of people have problems with shea butter bulding up, so clarify if you find frizz problems.

If you can get any of the Yes to... line over there, I recommend the Blueberries. Also, be careful with the KC Come Clean - it's pretty drying and should be used for clarifying only.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Mayo is made with eggs, eggs have 13 grams of protein per egg. So saying mayo doesn't contain protein is incorrect. It's just that the protein is too big to absorb into the hair shaft so it doesn't really work... According to curlynikki

As someone with sebhorrehic dermatitis I can tell you ACV does indeed remove scalp buildup. It also calms the scalp.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    My mayo has also said 0 to protein on the label. And yes, eggs do nothing for the hair protein-wise.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights