I need help ಥ_ಥ

Afro_OtakuAfro_Otaku Posts: 6Registered Users
Hi I'm new to the site and I need help with defining my curls. I usually keep my hair about 4-6 inches long but I had a misunderstanding with a new barber and he cut off all my hair. So now I'm growing it back. Unlike before I can't finger detangle or clump my curls by shaking since it's too short now. I've tried using denman brush and wide tooth comb with plenty of conditioner but they pick out my curls. Sometimes the curls pop and sometimes they don't when I use my fingers to rake my hair. I'm just looking for consistency. My hair is low porosity, medium to thick strands. Please help me!!! Also what is my hair type? I've always known my hair was curly but didn't know it all broke down to types. I use Shea moisture hair milks and the conditioners.

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some people find that combing or raking their hair wet disrupts their curl pattern. I don't have this issue but my suggestion would be to do your detangling earlier in the washing process. Have you ever done a prepoo? I prepoo with EVOO on dry hair that has not yet been washed. I actually do it as a hot oil treatment that sits about 15 minutes but that's up to you. the oil may be enough that you can finger detangle with it..Then you could wash your hair. Since you already detangled and your hair is short once you rinse out the conditioner your hair will likely look clumped. Since you are lopo I rec that you gently blot your hair with microfiber towel or tshirt before applying products. smooth in you leave in, oil, styler or whatever you like to use. . Don't rake
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • Afro_OtakuAfro_Otaku Posts: 6Registered Users
    Okay no raking and prepoo, I can prepoo before co wash right ( I don't shampoo)(★^O^★) Also thank you. I'll try tomorrow after work out. Also is it okay to co wash everyday? I did when my hair was longer and still do now since I work out 6 times a week.
    okay I will try this tomorrow after my workout. Also when my hair was longer I co wash everyday so is it okay for me to continue to co wash everyday after work outs?
    I wash every othr day in the summer no problem. But I don't use silicones or styling products with ingredients like pvp whichgive me buildup more quickly. Since you cowash every day it might be more convenient to pre poo with conditioner. Lots of people do it but I don't because it takes to much product to be able to spread over my dry hair since it's long. Your hair is short. Since you never shampoo do you ever use anything else to clarify your hair? Sometimes lack of curl definition comes from dryness and sometimes dryness comes from build up. Do you really need to detangle every day? Maybe some of those days you can wash and not rake?
    Also back when I workedout a lot I would some days just rinse my hair under the shower. Smoothing downward. Then blot out excess water. Add more product.
    I usually clarify with ACV. But honestly I'm thinking of trying out a sulfate free shampoo to see if it cleans up my build up better. I sometimes just rinse hair with water too. I'm scared that my hair may tangle up and damage because when it was longer I did have some damage from tangles. So I try to detangle a lot.
    Afro_Otaku wrote: »
    I usually clarify with ACV. But honestly I'm thinking of trying out a sulfate free shampoo to see if it cleans up my build up better. I sometimes just rinse hair with water too. I'm scared that my hair may tangle up and damage because when it was longer I did have some damage from tangles. So I try to detangle a lot.

Shampoo causes my hair to tangle too with the exception of raw African black soap which is a clarifyer. I can actually detangle with ABS.

With other products, I have a shampoo technique that has help me. putting just a small bit of shampoo in an applicator bottle then filling the rest with water. Basically diluting the shampoo and it works just as well for me. I put the nozzle at the roots and only scrubbing at the root. your hair is so short you could maybe do the do the smoothing motion and get the shampoo out of your hair. Speaking of which how did the smoothing method work for you?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file