Need help with a protein flaxseed gel

lisar12lisar12 Registered Users Posts: 45 Curl Neophyte
My hair is very funny with ingredients and I am not much of a mixologist. I am trying to make a simple protein gel with flaxseed and either silk protein or keratin. The problem is I am not sure how to measure it out or when to add it and if I would need to add anything other than those two ingredients. I am not opposed to leaving it in the fridge so I wouldn't really need a preservative. I want to keep it simple because I need it to work with Kinky Curly Knot Today. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    At Sally's there is a product called Neutral Protein Filler that comes in a little bottle. I'd get something like that and just start with a little added in. Keep track of the amount you use and adjust from there.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Science-y Hair Blog has a great flaxseed gel page that lists a basic recipe, how to make the gel, as well as several additives, what they do, and when /how much to add. For hydrolyzed protein, it suggests some Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (from Sally's), which contains hydrolyzed keratin and hydrolyzed wheat. Science-y Hair Blog: What's Cookin' This Week (for hair): Homemade flax seed gel
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low /medium porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure
    CO: As I Am
    RO /LI: GVPCB, Ion Effective Care, Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture, Herbal Essences Birch Bark
    Stylers: Zotos All About Curls Bouncy Cream, Herbal Essences Body Envy Mousse, LALSG, UFDCM
    PT (as needed)IAGirl's, Mielle Babassu Mint, Zotos All About Curls Divine Treatment
    And I've been confused for a long time but Colorful Neutral Protein Filler and Neutral Protein Filler are the same thing apparently. This recently came up at WHC.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    chupie wrote: »
    And I've been confused for a long time but Colorful Neutral Protein Filler and Neutral Protein Filler are the same thing apparently. This recently came up at WHC.

I believe Colorful is the brand, and Neutral Protein Filler is the product name.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    RO /LI: GVPCB, Ion Effective Care, Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture, Herbal Essences Birch Bark
    Stylers: Zotos All About Curls Bouncy Cream, Herbal Essences Body Envy Mousse, LALSG, UFDCM
    PT (as needed)IAGirl's, Mielle Babassu Mint, Zotos All About Curls Divine Treatment
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

I believe Colorful is the brand, and Neutral Protein Filler is the product name.

That's it! but it's not clear from the different bottles. They look like different products.
  • lisar12lisar12 Registered Users Posts: 45 Curl Neophyte
    Science-y Hair Blog has a great flaxseed gel page that lists a basic recipe, how to make the gel, as well as several additives, what they do, and when /how much to add. For hydrolyzed protein, it suggests some Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (from Sally's), which contains hydrolyzed keratin and hydrolyzed wheat. Science-y Hair Blog: What's Cookin' This Week (for hair): Homemade flax seed gel

Thank you. I will try the colorful neutral protein filler and see how it goes.:afro:

That's it! but it's not clear from the different bottles. They look like different products.

I took a quick look at what "Colorful" brand products Sally's had, and you're right Chupie, they do look like completely different product lines. The Colorful Neutral Protein Filler is a clear liquid product in a white bottle. The Colorful Professional Protein Filler is a colored product in a black bottle for use during coloring (added to the dye), to refresh fading color (you shampoo it in for this), or to correct porosity (what the directions call "color corrector"). It comes in brown, red, platinum, and golden, and I could see it giving very unexpected results if accidentally purchased and used like we do the Neutral Protein Filler.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
  • lisar12lisar12 Registered Users Posts: 45 Curl Neophyte
    At Sally's there is a product called Neutral Protein Filler that comes in a little bottle. I'd get something like that and just start with a little added in. Keep track of the amount you use and adjust from there.

Thank you very much. I will give it a shot and see if my hair likes it. Fingers crossed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file