4a Definition for newbie

Curl4Curl4 Posts: 3Registered Users
I'm kind of new to the forum, I'm a guy who started growing his hair out. But my problem is that I dont know how to define my curls without using gel. What can I use to define them? I ask this because my curls are always under this layer of poofy frizz (without gel) and oils don't really work for me.

My curls resemble small spirals (4 months growth) so I'm guessing 4a/b hairtype

Comments

• coracora Posts: 456Registered Users
    Most folks need some type of styler to fight the frizz and define curls. Instead of gel, you could try a curl pudding/cream or use regular conditioner to style your hair.
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What she said. How are you currently using your gel or what is that you don't like about the gel?
    For instance you may need to have a lot of conditioner on your hair under it or mix conditioner into the gel to apply it for it to really work without making your hair super hard.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • Curl4Curl4 Posts: 3Registered Users
    lolo918 wrote: »
    What she said. How are you currently using your gel or what is that you don't like about the gel?
    For instance you may need to have a lot of conditioner on your hair under it or mix conditioner into the gel to apply it for it to really work without making your hair super hard.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlTalk App

I basically apply gel to dripping wet hair and go with my fingers over my hair in a forward fashion or with the the flow of the hair (the way the hair's growing)

What I don't like is the non-natural look it produces and the overal long wetness. What I see on the internet is people defining their hair and it looking more "natural". The main question is:

"How do I define gel without gel/oil"
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried the conditioner method? Used in large amounts, creamy conditioners can become stylers although I don't think all conditioners are well suited for. I use gel regularly now but for years all I put in my hair was conditioner (Tresemme) and oil. Terri Leflesh has list of conditioners she used but not if you are CG that she is not.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file