Police Murders in New York

claudine191claudine191 Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The comments about Al having blood on his hands are nothing new. Many white and black Americans have little appreciation for his ways. He has called for violence over civil disobedience in the past and has gone through some rather scandalous legal action after being the voice on cases that turned out to be false/a hoax. His own former staff members have spoken out against him making sure that they note he often starts out good but was prone to spinning out of control. Hence his title of "The New Al Sharpton" when he came back on the scene. Trust for him was deeply damaged in the past.

ETA: Did you see any of the footage of Ferguson telling Al and Jesse to get out of their town? It was the majority of residents involved in the peaceful protest, until others came in. That is based on numerous experiences in the past. Some first hand, many second hand stories from people who watched their community go up in the '70s thru early '90s, many television reports, and a lot of documentation. Not to mention him being caught on camerq trying to buy mass amounts of cocaine in the 80s and him becoming an FBI informant (files were released). He was also named the "Talking Microwave" by members of the black community in the 80s because he could heat a situation up in minutes. People can debate on change and the trust issues all day long but unfortunately several POC get mocked for their feelings by those younger and uninterested in the other side of the story.

I found the officers turning their back on the Mayor to be a great example of civil disobedience/protest. They are citizens of this country as well as law enforcement officers. They have the right to make their feelings and voices heard. Many do believe the situation was handled in a way that caused and even allowed more bad behavior toward police officers, many not involved in any of these high profile cases but treated as one and the same. I don't think one should say that specific people have blood on their hands, on either side of the discussion, and it has been said as a collective numerous times against the police. I see nothing wrong with fair assessments or complaints on either side.

I really hope the reports I heard about people gathering to clap and cheer the deaths/retaliation as the officers gathered to salute was not true. That is reprehensible. It would be on either side of the discussion.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Rashid Abdul-Salaam:

When asked by CNN about the division between PoC and Police in NYC, after watching a video showing protestors chanting about wanting retaliation/slain police officers (despicable and grotesque regardless of color), Mr Abdul-Salaam said it was terrible. He spoke of supporting the Police, of which the majority are good. (This is a point many men and women of every race/nationality wish their Mayor would have stressed). He spoke of community policing and the idea that supporting or helping was somehow aiding or abetting was simply hypocritical. He noted that no department was any stronger than it's community involvement and that this is NOT all about protest. It's about support as well, and went into different ways to do this. Finally he stated (very slightly paraphrased), 'No one that I know or love or is concerned about this wants to live in a lawless community. If they do wish for that type of community, there are many lawless places through-out the world that can be relocated to. This, is a nation of laws and most do buy into that.'

So well said, imho. I want to stand up and applaud Mr. Eric Allen, saying a few words in Brooklyn, (again watched on CNN) when family members of the officers spoke. They brought in several leaders of the community, because as he noted, with no disrespect intended, "There is more than one". Others expressed that there was not one side or one view alone as well.

Very good words from 2, former NYC Police Officers, PoC and Community Leaders/Supporters (absolutely plural).

This is a shared sentiment I have seen from so many today be it on television or from friends. Stressing community support, thru Big Brothers/Big Sisters, community involvement, joining the police for the right reasons if you truly want to support and aid your community. Either way, working together and toward a common goal. Not getting stuck in protest alone.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They do have a motive, as far as the police officers go. He had been posting anti police comments on Social Media for some time. He flat out posted, time/date/location stamped that he was going to "put wings on pigs". He also shared pictures of his gun and pants with blood splatter on it, after he shot his girlfriend, and said this was for MB and EG. Mike & Eric. That is clear motive. The Slate should have elaborated that they had no motive for the shooting of his girlfriend (ex I have heard). She is in critical condition and of course has not been interviewed yet. I really hope she pulls thru. The a** hole took her cell phone after he shot her so she could not call for help. When she was found, his social media accounts were searched and the threats were found. Baltimore sent a warning to NYPD at the same time the officers were shot. He was also trying to get people to watch him shoot the officers, per witnesses. He was telling people to "watch what he was going to do" before he walked up to the police car and shot. This is clearly pre-meditated with much motive provided. That part is not speculation. Nor is video evidence of protesting groups calling for death of police as retaliation before this happened.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    How many times have people on this site said that violence was a valid reaction? *Be it against innocent members of a community or police officers involved or not even involved. Doesn't matter. Just ignore proper justice and destroy.* I've seen it more than once.

If reports I have read are correct, one man leading some of the more horrible protests thru Ferguson and New York is on a DOJ panel to discuss police reform. He was most recently seen leading a protest, after the murder of the 2 NYPD officers, screaming "Pigs in a blanket. Smells like bacon". Given his clear hate speech. Reform is not what he is interested in.

It amazes me when people ignore clear motive but fall apart and violently condemn over their own speculation in particular cases. Long before the evidence is even known.

*I truly have to say one more thing. I have already said that I did not particularly agree with with saying so and so has blood on their hands. Given experiences, personal involvement with the Mayor/community/activists/belligerent protestors being allowed to call for death in the streets and a long history, I understand where it came from in that moment. STILL... That is very different than demanding so and so should be handed over for murder. That is very different than Jesse Jackson going on national televison and defending people who rob and commit arson, or call for others to do the same, destroying the livelihood of innocent people who live in a neighborhood already in turmoil, in the name of Justice. Even when asked why he was defending burning down businesses, given one of the top complaints is lack of jobs, he carried on with a uh, uh, and kept saying it was okay because history and grief. It has gotten out of hand on so many levels. People do have a responsibility to not turn groups further against each other in the name of reform. The police have stepped up security due to numerous threats. They have not called for officers to kill others in the street or burn down buildings. I would never support that, not for a second. *They also handed in a petition to the Mayor, who they felt did nothing to ease tensions, asking him to not attend officers funeral a week before this happened. They knew it was coming.*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The cops turned their backs on the mayor during the press conference and blamed him and Pres. Obama for the violence. :roll:

Yes, the union rep did. He said numerous people had blood on their hands when it came to this. I take no issue with the officers turning their back on the Mayor as he walked thru, given the things that had happened. Again, I don't think it is right to go off on the number of people with blood on their hands, but I can only imagine how frustrating it is when you find out (again, if the reports are true) a person marching around your streets (and previously ferguson), leading hate speech and threats toward officers, had possibly been invited by Eric Holder to work on police reform. Now does that mean Eric or Obama knew everything this guy was up to? No. Many do not appreciate the tight restrictions coming from the top, at times, that forbid officers doing much with crowd control during the protests. I would not consider hate speech and death threats "peaceful protest", which is what each of us has the right to do. Thats why I say, it has fallen apart and gone wrong on so many levels. It should not be community OR police. It's community and police.

*Hope you get what I am saying there. Most people would consider Westboro Baptists approach to be hateful, especially when it comes to deaths & funerals. Nasty! If someone would have marched around Ferguson or Clevland after Mike or Tamir's death saying something to the effect of... 'Blank in a blank. Smells like blank'. Horrible, hateful and no excuse for it. I sincerely hope the family members of the 2 officers did not hear people walk around yelling Pigs in a blanket, Smell like Bacon. Not good. What the Union Rep said was out of bounds but did not illude to anyone being happy about the deaths or the situation. It was about personal accountability and got too personal, imo. Someone marching around saying they want people to die, now!! And telling people to burn down towns absolutely falls under inciting violent acts. That is why Lewis Head was questioned. This is not some movie, song, or work of fiction. As seen in Ferguson, there are consequences.

Police are really cracking down on/tracing threats made via social media right now, too. Given what has been happening, it has to be taken seriously. I just heard the number of death threats made specifically toward NYPD was way up there, and apparently they talked to the Mayor about this. Nothing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • claudine191claudine191 Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I hope you will leave room for other members to post, especially as Spider has asked for the same courtesy in other threads.
    I hope you will leave room for other members to post, especially as Spider has asked for the same courtesy in other threads.

And exactly what have I done to stop other people from posting or exceed the limits, on the first page of a thread, that can continue for as many pages as necessary? I've simply been joining an important discussion.

Claudine, I am honestly worried about you. I hope you get help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    noodly wrote: »
    *I basically was insulting the police*

Anyways, OP, I was wondering what you think about the article and comments?

What is the opinion about relations between public service employees (police) and PoC in the US, in your country Noodly? I know you said in the Tamir thread that PoC can not ask for things softly when fighting for rights. The majority are for and completely respect, admire and love the right to peaceful protest and civil disobediance. They are two of the things that make our country great. Many have made it very clear that they do not agree with this mans actions or the threatening protests or inciting violence that go against peaceful protest and civil disobediance (key word being civil/peaceful and most pratice non violent forms like Gandhi and MLK) do not help ease tensions and can often cause harm to members of the community trying to excercise their rights. You do have legal implications when it comes to others property being destroyed and lived being lost. That right doesn't just disappear for other citizens while some are trying to improve conditions and reform. *Idk what will happen in the case of Mr. Head. I'm not sure if it's been decided yet. There are clear laws against riots in his state but they are less specific about inciting unless you can prove an agreement between him and so many people. That has been debated. 15 people lost their livelihood, more lost their jobs and a community lost several needed businesses/offices/gathering spots. Many PoC. Their lives matter, too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Curl Virtuoso Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso

Thank you, thank you, Claudine 191. This is getting so frustrating.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Lotsawaves wrote: »

Thank you, thank you, Claudine 191. This is getting so frustrating.

I would thank you if you would tell me how facts and opinions you may not agree with are keeping you from sharing your opinion, as opposed to you simply not wanting to hear any other voice but your own, echoed endlessy. I'm just showing you what it's been like.

I am disgusted. Disgusted with the constant vaccums and echo chambers. Ones you have used to run countless people out of here in the past. Teen agers in NY over the last weekend have been caught unloading guns into buildings and trying to shoot police. Teenagers. Everyone runs around acting like the slightest and stupidest little thing is abuse to the eyes and ears but try to discuss the consequences of those who are not being responsible with words or actions, when calling for death and destruction in the street, and you just can't take it! Believe it or not, this is important to me. People try to place blame on a national level, in a field I am a part of, in more than one way... It matters to me. The voices of many people in the middle of the protest areas matter to me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It kills me because now we have another part of a generation lost. They will he lost to the idea that police hate them. That they all are trained to hate them and kill them, and that is hardly the case. Most your people on police forces now were born between the mid 60s thru early 90s. I hate it for the people who have been and are working so hard for improvements, in positive ways, that are dismissed and thrown to side while others speaking hate are put in the spot light. I hate that it took a police department, in a hospital, turning their back to a Mayor, for people to say "This is gotten out of hand". Most people have been saying that for some time, and it doesn't come from a bad place or a place of judgement against all. I am well aware people in Ferguson worked their butts off asking for peaceful and positive change, that has to continue and flourish after cameras leave. Press, hateful groups calling foe violence and higher ups who refused to stop them do have a part in making it harder to bridge that gap. Which is something most of you or them don't have to actually fool with in the aftermath.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Curl Virtuoso Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    FiFi.G, you are very well informed & have your opinions, but you don't get it. You monopolize the threads & personally after 2 long paragraphs, I quit reading. Someone else suggested you do a blog. I think that would be a good idea. I really am not trying to offend you.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    FiFi.G, you are very well informed & have your opinions, but you don't get it. You monopolize the threads & personally after 2 long paragraphs, I quit reading. Someone else suggested you do a blog. I think that would be a good idea. I really am not trying to offend you.

It has also been suggested in other threads that I was simply biased and stirring the pot because of my job, but my job deals with all sides. The public to police, fire, resuce and ems. I'm a link for all, I find these discussions important (especially when people are discussing NYC, Missouri and Cleveland on a national level). I'm also not a 150 character person. No one has to read all my posts if they don't care to. I don't mind. I don't mind reading others long ones. There just seems to be an ever changing laundy list of things I am intentionally doing to others here by not saying exactly what they want me to say and in how many words they "give me".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honestly, there were people here who wrote books (comments that you had to extend to read) often and they were loved. There are also a lot of people here who refuse to comment in threads of this nature, and several others, because of the thought police/vaccum of similar ideas.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That is a shame. Considering the number of police/sheriff's departments in US and the number of officers, there are far more who do their job right. A 17 year Veteran with a flawless record was just shot and ran over in Florida. That is the type of officer you want and need, but when you when you make the ignorant decision to start taking them out, you get the good ones. Guess who you're left with.

Karma's a bi*ch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Not that you care about increased risk/danger for multiple lives here, Noodly. You don't even live in the US, right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    noodly wrote: »
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    That is a shame. Considering the number of police/sheriff's departments in US and the number of officers, there are far more who do their job right. A 17 year Veteran with a flawless record was just shot and ran over in Florida. That is the type of officer you want and need, but when you when you make the ignorant decision to start taking them out, you get the good ones. Guess who you're left with.

Karma's a bi*ch

Maybe I'm generalizing but I've never met a good cop. But maybe it's because I'm traumatized because I was a victim of police brutality at the mere age of 14. And when I reported something I wasnt taken serious. Maybe that's why I wish them all bad things. I agree good cops are what we need.

Well it's not like anyone is researching their record before they pull the trigger. Calls and threats have been made to kill officers, as if they are all one united evil, based on different cases with different circumstances. Lumping people all together is horrible. No one wants that and it is why I am careful to seperate elements of the protesters. There are far more who want to work together and who are willing to work together but others are putting so many more lives in danger with out a thought or care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And I am sorry about the police brutality you said you experienced at 14. Don't let thay turn you against everyone. I didn't have the best thoughts or views (though never ill will, I reserved that for lawyers and judges), but I ended up meeting a ton of good. I've experienced other bad things in my life, but I still love men. I won't let anyone or anything take that ability away from me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users

It has also been suggested in other threads that I was simply biased and stirring the pot because of my job, but my job deals with all sides. The public to police, fire, resuce and ems. I'm a link for all, I find these discussions important (especially when people are discussing NYC, Missouri and Cleveland on a national level). I'm also not a 150 character person. No one has to read all my posts if they don't care to. I don't mind. I don't mind reading others long ones. There just seems to be an ever changing laundy list of things I am intentionally doing to others here by not saying exactly what they want me to say and in how many words they "give me".

Fifi, I think that everyone is just trying to say that the volume is overwhelming. no on can police the amount you post (we aren't the mods), but some of us find it a deterant to post when a single poster takes up so much of the thread.

Me not agreeing with what you say, well that's a different story. I don't think that is ever going to go away. I don't think anyone wants you to stop posting because we disagree with you. That would make the thread boring. but it would be nice if it felt like you took into consideration what what said instead of just more and more posts about your thoughts.

I think everyone is just looking for a balanced conversation. I think the 2nd page of this thread is a perfect example of what people are asking for
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

And exactly what have I done to stop other people from posting or exceed the limits, on the first page of a thread, that can continue for as many pages as necessary? I've simply been joining an important discussion.

Fifi, sometimes I agree with you, sometimes I've "liked" you, sometimes I lose patience with your long threads and sometimes not, but the above to Claudine is just plain nasty and highly sarcastic. Not good! Not at all!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    ^^ agreed!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    curlypearl wrote: »

Fifi, sometimes I agree with you, sometimes I've "liked" you, sometimes I lose patience with your long threads and sometimes not, but the above to Claudine is just plain nasty and highly sarcastic. Not good! Not at all!

I gotta disagree. I think several boardies have been coming for her repeatedly and trying to intimidate her...and it's only natural that she would eventually snap back. (Scrills knew she was doing it and had the decency to later admit it and apologize.)

That's just Fifi's posting style. There's room for everyone on the board IMO. And if someone's posts aren't to your (gy) liking, you can choose to not read them, right?

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to you opinion, tho, CP! I just want to go on record as saying that not everyone feels that way...and piggybacking on your post is just how i'm saying it.

I'm honestly not trying to be nasty to her. That is my feelings based on a person I have seen quickly condemn mild disputes in several situations, requests threads to be locked to avoid differences in opinion, but seems to strongly support generalized violence/physical harm or destruction to livelihood of innocents in this situation.

I also do not want to drag a bunch of other stuff in here but I will say despite my attempte Claudine has rarely said a word to me for quite some time. Best I could tell, she is upset about a thread from a while back. The Bill Cosby thread was the first time she acknowledge my existence in some time, aka when she told me a blog might be better for me than this board. and it's not been pleasant since. Ex: Just biased and trying to upset people because of my job. Basically saying that puts me as coming from a bad place by default. That is frustrating.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I promise I am not quite as evil as many seem to think I am, but I am a bit frustrated.

ETA: Pardon. I'm running on 4 hrs sleep and little caffeine. Thank you to those with nice words. I obviously like it here, like a lot of people here and discussions here or I would not bother logging in. I just wouldn't. I think there has a been a bit more going on than meets the eye and granted, it is not the first time I have been told I was being nasty to Claudine. The last time I didn't even say what upset her but was asked to apologize for it. I don't even know. I'm not after her but will only put up with so much.

I don't mean to make others feel uncomfortable or overwhelmed with my posting style either. Things like that don't even cross my mind.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Spider, I wasn't commenting on Fifi's writing style, just her post to Claudine, in case I wasn't clear about that.

Anyway, too bad we can't all get together and have some Xmas (Chanukah, Kwanza) cheer. You can tell I'm from the cumbaya (oy spelling) "can't we all just get along" school. :wave:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Spider, I wasn't commenting on Fifi's writing style, just her post to Claudine, in case I wasn't clear about that.

Anyway, too bad we can't all get together and have some Xmas (Chanukah, Kwanza) cheer. You can tell I'm from the cumbaya (oy spelling) "can't we all just get along" school. :wave:

I'm not upset with you, CP. I really don't have any issues with different opinions, different styles or different in general. Whatever. I always hope that my somewhat limited knowledge might help when people have questions or concerns. Most departments are only trained similarly when it comes to defense tactics, physical requirements and about 20 sections of class material. All states have some different policy and policing style normally discussed with and sometimes voted on by the public (like NY's Stop & Frisk vs Community Policing. I live in a CP type area). I still have a different perspective. I don't try to hurt by sharing it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, I know. It was harsh but...

911 for over 10 years. They are all set up differently all over the country too. I work in one that is it's own separate agency but dispatches for every emergency responder from EMS to Police.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file