Question for guinea pig savvy peoples

sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
So, as some of you know I just got some pigs not too long ago. I got them from the pet store. Ellie has gotten increasingly fat pretty fast. I joked a couple weeks ago with my fiancé that maybe she's pregnant. My fiancé posted a picture of her to facebook last night and someone asked if she was pregnant. So now I'm paranoid over here. We got her 1.5 months ago and she seemed around a month old, judging by size. We got her the day they put her out (all female store), so no clue if she was with any males before that. I do realize babies grow pretty fast. Does she look pregnant or just fat? She hogs the food and will steal Paige's veggies all the time. She either needs to pop out babies or I separate at feedings. She gets plenty of exercise, she's always running laps and popcorning. She does nothing but eat! I guess that's what a pig does.

Here is a picture comparing when we first got her and what she looked like about a week ago
NHL2pUy.jpg

One from behind. I don't think she looks pregnant, but what do I know.
W7UbasF.jpg?1
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm watching this thread bc I want her to have babies! (For purely selfish reasons, I want to see pictures)
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I know absolutely nothing about them, I don't know that I've ever seen on in person, but she's just looks grown to me, not even fat.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    No info here except I looked up their gestation period and it's 59-72 days so no, you're not out of the woods. But whenever I got female hamsters I always thought they were pregnant after a week or two, and they never were. I think there's just less competition for food and less activity after they're adopted.

My pet store would assure me there was very little chance they were pregnant and that they would take the babies if they happened to be wrong. Somaybe your pet store will do the same?

Cute!

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    She doesn't look particularly fat to me (I've had some chubby piggies) but she sure is cute!
    And yes, I'm waiting patiently to see some babies!!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Gosh, she's like twice the size of Paige in the fat department!! She's still a baby, so is still pretty tiny. I think she's just fat. I looked up some tips about feeling around the abdomen.. I didn't feel much. There's is a questionable bump on her left size, but I might just be making nothing into something there. We don't have the space for babies, so she'd better not be! But I do agree, it would be like the cutest thing ever in life.

I joked with my fiance today - here we are worried about Ellie, and watch Paige be the one who is pregnant. lol

I hear so many stories about buying pigs from pet stores who are pregnant before they got there. A lot of breeders don't seem to care who they are paired up with and if they are pregnant when they sell them. It's kind of sick to think about, really.

Well, I will feel better in a couple months when there are no babies running around.
    My pet store would assure me there was very little chance they were pregnant and that they would take the babies if they happened to be wrong. Somaybe your pet store will do the same?

Cute!

Sure.. we raise them until 4 weeks for them to sell them and not do any work! I'd get any babies adopted before I took them back to the pet store. I'm sure they would be happy to take them, though. They seem to be pretty popular around here. I'm always eyeing the cage when I go get cat food.
    Somebody please tell me she's just fat, and I'm imagining that lump on her side?

QWt5Yek.jpg?2

We are officially starting to worry. She's visibly bigger than she was just 2 days ago even.
    Are there vets who specialize in guinea pigs? Maybe one could tell you what to look for or just give her quick check up?
  • ChaeChae Posts: 4Registered Users
    She looks like she might be..., but whenever I think one of my piggies might be, I feel around their under/hind quarters, if you do not feel a little grape type shape, she probably is not.
    If she is 1-4 months old it can be very dangerous for her to give birth
    and I wouldn't believe pet stores, it is not a rare occasion for pet stores to confuse the two sexes since they are sometimes difficult to tell apart.
    Also, any vet should be able to check a guineapig, they don't have to be specialized.
    I hope this helped! Best of luck to you!
    PerriP wrote: »
    Are there vets who specialize in guinea pigs? Maybe one could tell you what to look for or just give her quick check up?
    Chae wrote: »
    She looks like she might be..., but whenever I think one of my piggies might be, I feel around their under/hind quarters, if you do not feel a little grape type shape, she probably is not.
    If she is 1-4 months old it can be very dangerous for her to give birth
    and I wouldn't believe pet stores, it is not a rare occasion for pet stores to confuse the two sexes since they are sometimes difficult to tell apart.
    Also, any vet should be able to check a guineapig, they don't have to be specialized.
    I hope this helped! Best of luck to you!

I'm not sure we have any exotic pet vets in my area, it's probably more closer to the city - which would be super expensive and not the most fun drive. I figure if she is, I'll find out definitely in the next couple of weeks. I took both pigs to the vet to get their nails clipped yesterday and was not impressed at how they handled Paige. I ended up taking her from the lady (I couldn't stand to watch her squirm and almost choke herself on the lady's hand) and holding her correctly. Makes me wonder what a vet there would do - so I'm nervous to take her, unless I absolutely need to.

I've sexed the other pig, and she definitely looks female. I've never seen her mount this one, it's always the other way around.

I think she's about 2.5 months old right now, even though the pet store said they should've all been 3-4 months when we got her. It's possible she might be a runt, I suppose.. I'm not sure.

I've tried to feel around, and I can't really tell what I'm feeling. I've never felt a guinea pig before, so this is all new to me. Maybe I should palpate the other pig to compare.

ETA: She's gained just shy of 1oz since yesterday morning.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Well now I'M getting worried about her!
    As Chae said, any vet should be able to look at her, not just an exotic pet vet.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've owned guinea pigs for years. Honestly, she looks pregnant to me. Pet stores are notorious for sexing wrong and/or sending people home with pregnant guinea pigs. Here's a link to a forum of people knowledgeable about GP's: Guinea Pig Cages, Care, Photos, News, Forum, Blogs and Chat
    Another good forum: Guinea Lynx

Edit: do get her to vet as soon as possible.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    I'm part of the Guinea Pig Cages forum and posted there too - didn't get very many replies, but that's ok. I keep going back and forth with she isn't, she might be, she is, I don't know.

I'll keep monitoring her weight this week and taking pictures. If she gets any bigger, I think I will take her to the vet next week to be sure. I'm worried if she is, she's way too young. I don't want anything bad to happen to my baby :(

I checked Paige out again last night. She looks different than Ellie in that department, and part of it is a different color. I couldn't get anything to pop out, so we decided she was female. There's definitely no balls or anything either.
    Update on Ellie -

I concluded she wasn't pregnant.... but this past week she has gained 2.4 oz!!! That's a LOT.

She looks like a normal fat pig....
    9zx12XM.jpg?1

until she leaned over my leg....
    wO54CqT.jpg?1

Now I don't know what to think again!!?? lol

I still don't feel anything. Will a plain ol' non pregnant fat pig bulge out like that?
    Wow! Please keep us posted
    I will! I'm debating on a vet visit so we know for sure. I'd like to talk with them about any complications she could have too. If she's going to have any babies, it will be in the next week, probably. Unless Paige is really a dude and hides her part well.
    She needs to go to the vet. You'll then know for sure if she's pregnant, and you can also discuss any possible complications like you mentioned if she is in fact pregnant. She's too young for a pregnancy. She really does need to be seen by a vet asap. For one thing, if she is in the advanced stages of pregnancy, you shouldn't really be handling her much unless absolutely necessary (such as putting her down for exercise). Also, if she is pregnant, she needs extra floor time because they need more exercise.
    She gets plenty of exercise in her cage, we don't exactly have a guinea pig proofed house as it's all open and there's tons of places to hide. They have 2 levels and she loves running laps and going up and down the ramp. I don't pick her up, I get her into a cozy sack and then dump her on my lap. No handling involved :) Work smarter, not harder.

People on the guinea pig forum mentioned it might be dangerous to get an xray if she is pregnant, so it's kind of pointless. I think I will still call and ask some questions, though.
    sixelamy wrote: »
    She gets plenty of exercise in her cage, we don't exactly have a guinea pig proofed house as it's all open and there's tons of places to hide. They have 2 levels and she loves running laps and going up and down the ramp. I don't pick her up, I get her into a cozy sack and then dump her on my lap. No handling involved :) Work smarter, not harder.

I REALLY am not trying to be a pain --I promise! I've just been raising them for a good 16-17 years, so I know a lot about caring for them. :) But, if she has a pet store cage (and obviously I don't know if she does or not), she is not getting enough exercise. Unfortunately, my house wasn't GP-proof either, but I got a couple of those small animal playpens for floor time and also built a C&C cage (which was pretty easy, thankfully), and that solved the problem. Here's a good link about minimum space requirements for guinea pigs. They need more space and exercise than most people realize:

Your Guinea Pig's Home (metric)

Anyway, good luck with Ellie! She sure is adorable. :)
    It's ok, I know you are trying to help. Here is their (empty) cage:

94JueHu.jpg

Plenty of space to run laps and go up and down :toothy10:

They actually do not like being out of their cage. The play pen is smaller than the perimeter of their cage, so I really see no point. They both get out and run after the lights go off, and occasionally throughout the day. Although Ellie seems to have slowed down a little the past couple of days.
    It's ok, I know you are trying to help. Here is their (empty) cage:

94JueHu.jpg

Plenty of space to run laps and go up and down :toothy10:

They actually do not like being out of their cage. The play pen is smaller than the perimeter of their cage, so I really see no point. They both get out and run after the lights go off, and occasionally throughout the day. Although Ellie seems to have slowed down a little the past couple of days.

That is a great C&C cage! :D
    Thanks! We love it :) I've since added a grid up top so they don't fall and a sign that says "Beware of Guinea Pig" lol
    Thanks! We love it :) I've since added a grid up top so they don't fall and a sign that says "Beware of Guinea Pig" lol

Haha! That's great! :laughing9:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    What's up with the piggy??
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Turns out she's just very fat and has a lot of hiccups!
    That's good!
    Audrey Hepburn
    Yes it is.. in many ways. Although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad there won't be any baby Ellie's running around. lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights