Christmas/Holiday Baking

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
What's everyone making??

I've done a few things for parties, but the big bake is Sunday. Looking for some different ideas. I'll do shortbread, magic bars, peanut butter bars, fudge & bark. All easy to make, store and transport....so anything along those lines would be great!
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm taking this year off. Normally I make German butter cookies (family recipe). It's usually a full weekend project since I'm the only one in the family who makes them (everyone asks for some).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for making this thread!

I was going to bake for the first time in years (I mean really bake) and I was hoping someone would have some good ideas or recipes!

I usually make oatmeal cookies and sometimes peanut butter. The recipe that was passed down for sugar cookies isn't so great, so I'm looking for a good one if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you in advance!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cinnamon spiced cookies which are already baked and in the freezer :) I'm planning on making red velvet cupcakes for everyone tomorrow and then freezing them as well. And then closer to Christmas I'll put the frosting on them, I'm also going to make peppermint cream chocolates.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    One of the girls at work makes really good sugar cookies, will ask her for the recipe tomorrow.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I made flourless peanut butter cookies last week which were a hit. So now i'm feeling froggy! Looking for ideas.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I usually make between 70-100 dozen cookies at Christmas, mostly the same kinds every year with a new one thrown in once in awhile for fun. So far I've made 13 doz Italian Wedding Cookies (tarralucci), 7 doz molasses biscotti (morzette), 7 doz Italian sesame cookies (giuggiulena).
    This weekend I will probably make another 13 doz wedding cookies, 6+ doz Swedish lemon butter cookies (citron kakor), and 30+ doz biscotti (a few different kinds- anise, choc chip walnut, chocolate spice, lemon poppyseed, honey pecan).
    I will also help dad make fried gloves (guanti).
    I couple favorites I make every few years are Swedish ginger cookies (made with bacon grease, they are so good.) and a sugar cookie that I call YWCA Sugar Cookies because I got the recipe from a lady about 40 years ago when I worked at the YW (they are a light crisp cookie and I really like their texture. no icing, really good with tea/coffee.)
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    OMG Jeepy.....you're my hero!!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm supposed to be roasting some peanuts, baking bread and making some cookies.

But I keep forgetting. 😖
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,153Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I made a Christmas cake a couple of months ago and am in the process of icing it - one coat on and I'll do the other tomorrow. Also have some dried fruit soaking now to make a Christmas pudding on Saturday. Other than that, probably just the usual mince pies.
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie, do you have hard sauce with your pudding and mince pies? I've been doing the mince pies since my grandfather (he made the best, and always made me extra to take home!) passed and I can't get the hard sauce right. Just not stiff enough, and last year I think I added almost double the powdered sugar the recipe called for and it still wasn't right.
    Audrey Hepburn
    One of the girls at work makes really good sugar cookies, will ask her for the recipe tomorrow.

Thank you!

Also, you all are so amazing! My family has never really baked anything besides oatmeal cookies at Christmas (the recipe from the lid of the oatmeal container). It's a family favorite, but I am always looking for new ideas. I find that cookies are inexpensive and make people feel the spirit of Christmas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Just heading to work, but the shortbread and bars I do are all super easy. Will
    Post the recipes when I get there.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I made flourless peanut butter cookies last week which were a hit. So now i'm feeling froggy! Looking for ideas.

The 3 ingredient pb cookies are the only thing I can bake...it's so sad. Last year for Thanksgiving I made individual pumpkin cheesecakes, but used nilla wafers for the bottom. I made homemade gluten free nilla wafers, but they ended up as big as plates...oops. Story of my life. BK and I are making ninjabread cookies from a kit, but I'm not too confident about how they'll come out. This is why we usually make things like marshmallow snowmen or santa hats made of fruit. :)
    Audrey Hepburn
    The magic bars, I add a little sea salt to the top. They are crazy sweet and I like the sweet/salty combo.

I'm going to try a batch with pretzels this year.
    Audrey Hepburn
    http://www.food.com/recipe/pan-shortbread-198138

Best shortbread!! I do a double batch and that's enough for a cookie sheet and a round cake pan. The cookie sheet one, I cut in bars and dip the ends in chocolate and crushed pecans when cool.

The cake pan ones I sprinkle with coarse sugar just before they are done.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Stupid question but what do you guys do w/ all of these cookies??

Work, family, neighbours, friends.

I usually do about 10 boxes up, and have them ready when we go to people's houses.
    Audrey Hepburn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

Yep! I always put them in the fridge for a few days and usually forget that they're there for a few weeks before I throw them out. I don't eat cookies, my family doesn't, and neither do my friends.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have lots of people I give cookies to and really could make many more, but it gets tiring!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Munchy wrote: »

Yep! I always put them in the fridge for a few days and usually forget that they're there for a few weeks before I throw them out. I don't eat cookies, my family doesn't, and neither do my friends.

Yeah, most ppl I know are on diets of some kind or another and might take one or two but never more, even if they're great. Even if it's for a school holiday party, the little kids only have time and room enough for one or two after lunch.

Those flourless peanut butter cookies are great for low-carbers if you use erythritol and/or sucralose. But then I guess you can low carb lots of cookie recipes if you use low carb flour.

The temptation is just too much so I rarely bake anything.:snorting:

It's Christmas. Even all the people I know who eat clean and healthy all year will still sit down and eat 8 cookies this time of year without blinking. hahaha.
    My 1000+ cookies will be gone in no time.
    It's Christmas. Even all the people I know who eat clean and healthy all year will still sit down and eat 8 cookies this time of year without blinking. hahaha.
    My 1000+ cookies will be gone in no time.

Yep!!!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,153Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Starmie, do you have hard sauce with your pudding and mince pies? I've been doing the mince pies since my grandfather (he made the best, and always made me extra to take home!) passed and I can't get the hard sauce right. Just not stiff enough, and last year I think I added almost double the powdered sugar the recipe called for and it still wasn't right.

I'm afraid I have no idea what hard sauce is! I make rum sauce to go with the pudding (plain sweet white sauce with a bit, ok a lot, of rum) and eat mince pies just as they are. Sorry, no help.
    3b in South Australia.
    We have rum sauce with pudding, and I think hard sauce is close, just thinker.

It's powdered sugar, butter and rum. Like an icing, but really stiff.

Image from http://s3.amazonaws.com/gmi-digital-library/fe5ee09b-83f4-4ec0-8e7c-e990be3e65aa.jpg.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I always feel so bad because I'm gifted with all these candies, chocolates, and baked goods (they're all on my desk right now!) and I take them home for them to just be thrown away :(

Someone gave me socks this year at work and another person gave me handmade soap! That's really awesome.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do not do the mass baking/hand them out as gifts thing. My Aunt always has. She makes hay stacks, peanut butter balls, cheese balls, and the cookies with a kiss in the center. I bake for dinner. I do a homemade coconut cake, my mom usually makes pies and often buys some. We have an apple orchard near by that bakes pumpkin, pecan and apple pies that are wonderful! It's a good way for them to make some $ during the slow periods. One thing we do is order oranges being sold by students in the local bands, or chorus, etc. It is a popular winter fund raiser. We then gift a lot of the oranges. There are diabetics in the family so we opt for a natural sugar as opposed to a lot of sweets.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I always feel so bad because I'm gifted with all these candies, chocolates, and baked goods (they're all on my desk right now!) and I take them home for them to just be thrown away :(

can you re-gift to a coworker? that's what i've been doing with mine. Not re-gift as in pretend it's from you, but just slyly hand them on.
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    PerriP wrote: »

can you re-gift to a coworker? that's what i've been doing with mine. Not re-gift as in pretend it's from you, but just slyly hand them on.

Most of my coworkers got the same gifts (they're from our coworkers lol) but my mom just came by and stole my tray of biscotti. One down!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file