When Co-Washing does NOT work...

Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
It has been my experience that co-washing does NOT work when you use products that have ingredients that are NOT CG friendly.

If you use oils that do NOT absorb into your hair shaft but LAY on your hair, you will NEED to wash them out of your hair with shampoo.

IF you use products with silicone, parabans, paraffins, propylene glycol, mineral oil, petrolatum, etc. then you need to shampoo your hair.

If you use gels, [not the KCCC or SM CH Souffle], then you will need to shampoo your hair.

You cannot just put any and all things in your hair and think you can co-wash them out.

Co-washing is a "natural" process and should be used accordingly.

I am speaking from MY experience, I have co-washed for 2 years this month and haven't had any problems however I only use SM CH products on my hair, [not a product junkie], and I love it!

Also, the only "gel-like" products I have used periodically is KCCC or SM CH Souffle or DIY FS Gel. Now, I use none of these at all.

As far as "how-to"...
  • Section hair, put a handful of conditioner on each section, [I generally wait about 10 minutes]...
  • Then squeeze it out by each section, [root to tip]...
  • After that add a little water at a time...
  • Rub your hair like you do when shampooing it...
  • Keep adding water until it seems to "lather up"...
  • Then rub each section of hair together as you are rinsing the conditioner out...
  • By the time it is all the way rinsed out my hair is clean.
My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
Hydration - SM CH
Curl & Style Milk
LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to disagree. In your reasons for why cowashing might not work for someone you made no mention of the scalp. The hair and the scalp are two different things that may have totally different needs depending on the person. Twice I have tried conditioner only and both times it was my scalp that did the major rebelling. My scalp needs shampoo, and not just any shampoo but one that serves special needs of my scalp, and there have been many other people say they are the same.

. My experience with the SM CH line is quite different. My hair is fine and dense and low porosity and very easy to get buildup. So I need products I can use enough to coat all of my hair without making my hair greasy. I prefer to take products with little oil and add the amount I want of oil to it than buy products loaded with oil. The SMCES is too heavy for my hair and gave me HORRIBLE buildup. SM milk makes my hair greasy if I use more than dime size of it.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • superzerosuperzero Posts: 80Registered Users
    Hey wernt you on another forum about cg telling this girl to get her facts straight? Lol
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    A lot of people with specific scalp conditions need to use shampoo--SD, for example. On the other hand, shampoo is irritating for some. It took me years to figure out that my constantly dry, itchy, flaky scalp was due solely to shampoo. Even mild, non-SLS shampoo makes my head itch.

I've never had problems with conditioner getting any kind of gel out, or oil for that matter. A number of people over at LHC (they tend to use a lot of oil over there) have said they've gotten mineral oil out with conditioner, no problem. I don't use MO so can't attest to that, but haven't had any issues with coconut oil, argan, camellia, or castor oils. I do agree that you can't rely on conditioner to get everything out, nor that anyone should wash with conditioner if it doesn't agree with their scalp. No one should do what "everyone says to do" if it's not working out for them.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • XhexaniaXhexania Posts: 65Registered Users
    I also run into problems if I don't shampoo. My scalp becomes itchy very quickly, so just using conditioner to wash has never worked well for me. I've literally co-washed my hair one day only to find myself shampooing it the next day to relieve the incessant itch.
    Fine Strands, High Density, (Seemingly) Normal Porosity
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    adthomas wrote: »
    I have to disagree. In your reasons for why cowashing might not work for someone you made no mention of the scalp. The hair and the scalp are two different things that may have totally different needs depending on the person. Twice I have tried conditioner only and both times it was my scalp that did the major rebelling. My scalp needs shampoo, and not just any shampoo but one that serves special needs of my scalp, and there have been many other people say they are the same.

. My experience with the SM CH line is quite different. My hair is fine and dense and low porosity and very easy to get buildup. So I need products I can use enough to coat all of my hair without making my hair greasy. I prefer to take products with little oil and add the amount I want of oil to it than buy products loaded with oil. The SMCES is too heavy for my hair and gave me HORRIBLE buildup. SM milk makes my hair greasy if I use more than dime size of it.

I massage a mixture of oils, [Coconut oil, EVOO, JBCO, Emu oil, Argan oil, and Avocado oil], on my scalp before co-washing, wait about 10 minutes then I apply SM African Black Soap Purification Masque to my scalp and massage. Then I follow the above steps, "massaging" my scalp while I co-wash my hair, [I do not know how to "wash" my hair and NOT my scalp].

As I said, it works for me-no problem. If it is NOT working for you, then "do you, boo"...:wave:!

I don't try to get everyone to co-wash; on the flip side, I feel that those who do not have success in co-washing shouldn't attempt to discourage others from doing it. Just say it didn't work for you and leave it at that.

No biggie...smiley_shrug%5B1%5D.gif

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    A lot of people with specific scalp conditions need to use shampoo--SD, for example. On the other hand, shampoo is irritating for some. It took me years to figure out that my constantly dry, itchy, flaky scalp was due solely to shampoo. Even mild, non-SLS shampoo makes my head itch.

I've never had problems with conditioner getting any kind of gel out, or oil for that matter. A number of people over at LHC (they tend to use a lot of oil over there) have said they've gotten mineral oil out with conditioner, no problem. I don't use MO so can't attest to that, but haven't had any issues with coconut oil, argan, camellia, or castor oils. I do agree that you can't rely on conditioner to get everything out, nor that anyone should wash with conditioner if it doesn't agree with their scalp. No one should do what "everyone says to do" if it's not working out for them.

I agree which is why I preface my statements with "my experience". It is what I have experienced, and info from those I have spoken with.

I posted in an attempt to help those that are struggling with "co-washing". What I posted may be one a reason for some of the problems they are having.

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    superzero wrote: »
    Hey wernt you on another forum about cg telling this girl to get her facts straight? Lol

As I explained, my "facts" are straight as far as "my experiences", and those whom I have spoken to...under normal conditions.

Also, I never told anyone to get their "facts straight", I DID ask a poster to validate her claims with links to the "research" she had done.

I cannot, nor do I attempt to, speak to those who have "scalp issues"; those are special conditions which I am not qualified to address.

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk

I massage a mixture of oils, [Coconut oil, EVOO, JBCO, Emu oil, Argan oil, and Avocado oil], on my scalp before co-washing, wait about 10 minutes then I apply SM African Black Soap Purification Masque to my scalp and massage. Then I follow the above steps, "massaging" my scalp while I co-wash my hair, [I do not know how to "wash" my hair and NOT my scalp].

As I said, it works for me-no problem. If it is NOT working for you, then "do you, boo"...:wave:!

I don't try to get everyone to co-wash; on the flip side, I feel that those who do not have success in co-washing shouldn't attempt to discourage others from doing it. Just say it didn't work for you and leave it at that.

At what point did I discourage anyone from cowashing?lol I'm not advocating for or campaigning against it. Doesn't matter to me. I have cowashed thousands of times but I don't do it exclusively.

I was pointing out that in listing reasons why cowashing only might not work for someone, you talked only about how conditioner doesn't get all ingredients out but you made NO mention of scalp issues which is a MAJOR reason a lot of people have a problem with it. In your follow up post you explain that you have a step for your scalp that goes beyond just cowashing which I think would have been helpful to those you are trying to help overcome difficulty with CG. I don't see anything in the original post about you using SMABS purification mask which a scalp treatment that also serves to remove buildup.Like you said you don't know how to wash your hair and not your scalp so with this product on your scalp you are clarifying your hair. That's important in explaining to people how to get rid of buildup.

I like the purification mask but I prefer to just buy Raw African Black Soap in bulk. I apply that at the scalp. Or I use an ayurvedic poo bar at my scalp. I think of ABS and products with it as a strong cleanser/ shampoo but maybe others see it differently

At what point did I discourage anyone from cowashing?lol I'm not advocating for or campaigning against it. Doesn't matter to me. I have cowashed thousands of times but I don't do it exclusively.

I was pointing out that in listing reasons why cowashing only might not work for someone, you talked only about how conditioner doesn't get all ingredients out but you made NO mention of scalp issues which is a MAJOR reason a lot of people have a problem with it. In your follow up post you explain that you have a step for your scalp that goes beyond just cowashing which I think would have been helpful to those you are trying to help overcome difficulty with CG. I don't see anything in the original post about you using SMABS purification mask which a scalp treatment that also serves to remove buildup.Like you said you don't know how to wash your hair and not your scalp so with this product on your scalp you are clarifying your hair. That's important in explaining to people how to get rid of buildup.

I like the purification mask but I prefer to just buy Raw African Black Soap in bulk. I apply that at the scalp. Or I use an ayurvedic poo bar at my scalp. I think of ABS and products with it as a strong cleanser/ shampoo but maybe others see it differently

SMABS is still a conditioner, not a "clarifying shampoo". There are times that I do not use it and I still do not have build up and my hair is clean, which is why I didn't mention it initially.

My point is that ALL naturals do NOT have build up however those of you who do always want to make it seem that ALL naturals get build up no matter what, and NEED to "clarify" with some sort of "shampoo". This is NOT the case.

This product does get rid of build up however it is a conditioner.

"SheaMoisture African Black Soap Purification Masque is an intensive treatment masque that conditions hair while relieving dry, itchy scalp. It removes product buildup while strengthening hair by sealing in natural moisture. Purifying Kaolin clay and botanical extracts help absorb impurities. Plantain enzyme helps calm itching and irritation. Tea tree oil removes buildup for enhanced shine and volume. Willow bark extract exfoliates and detoxifies hair and scalp.

No sulfates. No parabens. No phthalates. No paraffin. No gluten. No propylene glycol. No mineral oil. No synthetic fragrance. No PABA. No synthetic color. No DEA.

Reviews:

African Black Soap Purification Masque

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk

SMABS is still a conditioner, not a "clarifying shampoo". There are times that I do not use it and I still do not have build up and my hair is clean, which is why I didn't mention it initially.

My point is that ALL naturals do NOT have build up however those of you who do always want to make it seem that ALL naturals get build up no matter what, and NEED to "clarify" with some sort of "shampoo". This is NOT the case.

This product does get rid of build up however it is a conditioner.

"SheaMoisture African Black Soap Purification Masque is an intensive treatment masque that conditions hair while relieving dry, itchy scalp. It removes product buildup while strengthening hair by sealing in natural moisture. Purifying Kaolin clay and botanical extracts help absorb impurities. Plantain enzyme helps calm itching and irritation. Tea tree oil removes buildup for enhanced shine and volume. Willow bark extract exfoliates and detoxifies hair and scalp.

No sulfates. No parabens. No phthalates. No paraffin. No gluten. No propylene glycol. No mineral oil. No synthetic fragrance. No PABA. No synthetic color. No DEA.

Reviews:

African Black Soap Purification Masque

Ok. I didn't say ALL naturals need to clarify their hair. What I said was YOU clarify your hair because YOU do. Even those of us naturals who feel we "need" to clarify don't do all it with the same frequency and we don't all use clarifying shampoos. I have never heard anyone say only clarifying shampoos can clarify hair. ACV, baking soda, clay are very popular and not a clarifying shampoo. I'm sure like you many people don't all put a clarifying product in their hair every time they wash either. For those who get buildup there are factors that it becomes a problem for some sooner than others. Some people don't do a clarify for months and that's not saying their hair is "dirty" for months. I'm sure there are people who don't clarify ever and that's great if it works for them.

You said in your original post you only use SM CH products in your hair. There are no clarifying products in that line so by your "intentional" omission you were thereby saying that you NEVER clarify your hair. I don't believe SMABSPM is in SM CH line. So if you want to tell us you don't need a clarifier because SM CH gets buildup out of your hair but you just sometimes slap in a clarifying product that removes buildup in your hair for the fun of it... ok that's great.

You are right that masque is not a shampoo. I use an ingredient in the mask which is raw ABS as a clarifying shampoos. I also clarify with clay to clarify which is one of the ingredients.

Options For Clarifying Natural Hair | Bella Kinks

*********ORIGINAL POST*******
    I am speaking from MY experience, I have co-washed for 2 years this month and haven't had any problems however I only use SM CH products on my hair, [not a product junkie], and I love it!

Also, the only "gel-like" products I have used periodically is KCCC or SM CH Souffle or DIY FS Gel. Now, I use none of these at all.

As far as "how-to"...

• Section hair, put a handful of conditioner on each section, [I generally wait about 10 minutes]...
    • Then squeeze it out by each section, [root to tip]...
    • After that add a little water at a time...
    • Rub your hair like you do when shampooing it...
    • Keep adding water until it seems to "lather up"...
    • Then rub each section of hair together as you are rinsing the conditioner out...
    • By the time it is all the way rinsed out my hair is clean.
    You said in your original post you only use SM CH products in your hair. There are no clarifying products in that line so by your "intentional" omission you were thereby saying that you NEVER clarify your hair. I don't believe SMABSPM is in SM CH line. So if you want to tell us you don't need a clarifier because SM CH gets buildup out of your hair but you just sometimes slap in a clarifying product that removes buildup in your hair for the fun of it... ok that's great.

You are right that masque is not a shampoo. I use an ingredient in the mask which is raw ABS as a clarifying shampoos. I also clarify with clay to clarify which is one of the ingredients.

{/QUOTE]

I will end with this, AS I SAID...I do not have build up and I use SMABSPM as a preventative measure at times because it is a conditioner that also cleanses the scalp,
    [listed in my "sig" and always have been].

The CG method is about using conditioners to cleanse your hair which is what I do and that was my point.

There are many of us that follow the CG method and co-wash that do not have build up and never have to shampoo their hair or use ACV or baking soda, or anything else to cleanse their hair.

Now, I refuse to go back and forth with you; I don't know what your issue is however take it to someone else.

You are entitled to your opinion however I am entitled not to have to be addressed by you any longer. If you continue to do so, I will no longer respond.

Have a happy holiday!

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk

Leave a Comment