Problems with Protein

russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
Why is it that when I use a light protein treatment, my hair gets super soft but my curls all but collapse on one another? Is that a sign that I shouldn't be doing weekly protein treatments? That it's too much? Or something else?!

Please help!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• heartincloverheartinclover Registered Users Posts: 33
    noodly wrote: »
    Maybe because your hair is overmoisturized? If that's the case you should actually increase your proteins! And as for why your hair loses its curls its probably because your hair is too soft to hold your curls, and if your hair is like in the profile picture no way your (too) soft strands is able to hold your soft curls(as in loose).
    3 Signs That You’re Over Moisturizing | Black Girl with Long Hair

Thanks for the link! I'm sitting here with a processing cap on doing my second hair mask today, and I'm wondering if I may be over-conditioning my hair, oops. Sometimes I get too excited. :blob5:
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, soft hair after a protein treatment is generally a sign you needed the protein. If over protein'd your hair would feel brittle or hard etc.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Novice
    If you've been conditioning a lot, then your hair is probably overconditioned and more protein should fix it. If you haven't, it might actually be too much protein. With my hair both too much and too little protein makes it feel and look overconditioned (even when it's not). You might be the same.

Current Products:

• Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    Hmmmm.... I wouldn't say it feels over conditioned, though I might be wrong. I do a protein treatment every week and try to use products that have both moisturizing and strengthening ingredients in them. And it definitely doesn't feel like that every time after I do a protein treatment (tho it has been about 10 days since my last one)...

Weird. Any recs for other duel purpose protein/moisture products?

Current Products:

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Hm, if you leave out protein and just use moisture, how does your hair react? Isolating the variables may be the way to figure this out.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Novice
    I agree with Naturecat. If protein used to work but now doesn't, then I would try a couple weeks without it. If it helps, you know what the problem is/was.

Current Products:

• Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

Yeah that's an interesting idea. It might be my hairs not feeling the protein right now. I used a really thick conditioner the other day with avocado (and baobab oil) and my hair was just in love. I had these thick ropey curls all day. I know avocado has some proteins in it... Don't know much about baobab oil. I also know both those things are moisturizing too. I brought it on my trip with me and am gonna use it again so we'll see. Thanks for all the advice!!

Current Products:

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah that's an interesting idea. It might be my hairs not feeling the protein right now. I used a really thick conditioner the other day with avocado (and baobab oil) and my hair was just in love. I had these thick ropey curls all day. I know avocado has some proteins in it... Don't know much about baobab oil. I also know both those things are moisturizing too. I brought it on my trip with me and am gonna use it again so we'll see. Thanks for all the advice!!

An avocado in whole form does have some protein in it. however unless improperly processed, pure oils are protein free. If you read the nutrition label on avocado oil, it indicates 0g protein.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    Hmmmm.... I wouldn't say it feels over conditioned, though I might be wrong. I do a protein treatment every week and try to use products that have both moisturizing and strengthening ingredients in them. And it definitely doesn't feel like that every time after I do a protein treatment (tho it has been about 10 days since my last one)...

Weird. Any recs for other duel purpose protein/moisture products?

curl junkie repair me!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    I've heard about that one! Weirdly, I went back into the shower and used that avocado conditioner. It has absolutely NO slip but I piled it on and it felt gummy kinda IN the shower, but after it was well rinsed out, my hair felt amazing and it curled up nicely AND it was soft and strong when pulled on both wet and dry strands.

Current Products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file