Vegetarian?

mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
Hey guys! I am considering becoming a vegetarian. I recently found out that Whole Foods of Northern California sells rabbit meat and I was really disturbed. I know some people enjoy it but to me, it feels akin to eating dog. Bunnies are pets to me. So at first I was just never going to shop there but I got to thinking and feeling like it wasn't really enough to just be upset about it, I needed to make a change in my life. I've always been a bloody steak kind of girl but I don't think I'll miss it as much as I had previously thought.
But I know my parents are going to flip because "where are you going to get your protein?" I am of the impression that the American emphasis on protein is a bit overblown. Correct me if that's wrong. I don't know exactly how to go about starting this and maintaining a healthy balance in my diet.
I also have some fish issues. I don't eat much seafood other than canned tuna and sushi. But I've heard some negative things that make me question whether I should also give up fish or not. I really like sushi and raw fish but I'm not big on other forms of sea life and is it hypocritical if I keep eating sushi? I know it's a personal decision but I really want to hear some opinions from people who practice or used to practice or are knowledgable about it.
I'm also unsure if I can handle veganism just yet but might consider it if I can successfully be a vegetarian first.
Thanks in advance for all your input/help.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
:hockey:

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hey guys! I am considering becoming a vegetarian. I recently found out that Whole Foods of Northern California sells rabbit meat and I was really disturbed. I know some people enjoy it but to me, it feels akin to eating dog. Bunnies are pets to me. So at first I was just never going to shop there but I got to thinking and feeling like it wasn't really enough to just be upset about it, I needed to make a change in my life. I've always been a bloody steak kind of girl but I don't think I'll miss it as much as I had previously thought.
    But I know my parents are going to flip because "where are you going to get your protein?" I am of the impression that the American emphasis on protein is a bit overblown. Correct me if that's wrong. I don't know exactly how to go about starting this and maintaining a healthy balance in my diet.
    I also have some fish issues. I don't eat much seafood other than canned tuna and sushi. But I've heard some negative things that make me question whether I should also give up fish or not. I really like sushi and raw fish but I'm not big on other forms of sea life and is it hypocritical if I keep eating sushi? I know it's a personal decision but I really want to hear some opinions from people who practice or used to practice or are knowledgable about it.
    I'm also unsure if I can handle veganism just yet but might consider it if I can successfully be a vegetarian first.

I was a vegetarian for 4 yrs at one point. And then tried it again for another 6 months. I really like meat (and I do much better on a high protein and fat/low carb eating style) so vegetarianism is not for me but it's definitely doable. Nuts, legumes, eggs, soy products, Greek yogurt, certain grains and certain vegetables (like spinach) are high in protein. You will have no trouble getting protein if you want to.

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Oh awesome! I love all those foods already.
    Yeah I've heard from one other vegetarian friend that she did it for a long time but eventually went back to eating meat because it was a difficult lifestyle to maintain for her. I'm thinking that may be what happens to me in the long run but if I go into it one day at a time it will be easier for me than just telling myself I'll never eat meat again.

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

• PerriPPerriP Curl Neophyte Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm vegetarian and also do not eat dairy (no eggs, milk, cheese, etc). I've eaten this way for almost a year and a half. There are lots of differing views on the protein thing (from "we get more than enough" to "plant protein is different and limiting" to "you need at least 30g of protein per meal"). You'll have to make your own decision regarding all of that - well, regarding most of it :)

a great resource is happyherbivore.com, she's easy to read and has several easy cookbooks (if you cook). (also engine 2 diet has recipes, but I am not very familiar with their site). There is a lot of information out there if you really want to stop eating meat. Many recommend easing into it, cutting one thing and then another. I stopped meat then about 2 weeks later stopped dairy, I didn't really wean off of anything, but I tend to be pretty bullheaded once I've made up my mind to do something.

Best of luck to you, keep us posted

also, I never, ever, thought I would give up meat, I always considered myself a meat-lover but once the flip switched for me, I don't miss it at all, occasionally, I will miss cheese (mostly when I think about a good slice of pizza) but that is rare.

you don't have to just stop doing anything, even if you simply incorporate more plant based meals in your diet, you are still making an impact, this is 100% your decision.
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Curl Connoisseur Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I've been a vegetarian totally for about 15 years, but really most of my life. It's a texture/taste thing for me though.

I eat a lot of salad, pasta (too much, having cutting that out) and stuff that's easy to make without meats....soups, stir frys, chilli, etc.

I do have two protein shakes a day.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • claudine191claudine191 Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been a vegetarian for about half my life. Meat looks like dead animal to me. Protein is not an issue, since I also like tofu. I do eat cheese and eggs and a tiny bit of milk (I love French Toast), but the products I buy are from humanely treated animals (and the cheese doesn't have rennet).

I've also begun replacing leather as much as possible, choosing shoes and purses and belts from alternative sources. I doubt I'll ever succeed 100% but I'd like to get close.

I hope you decide to join us.
  • eveumeveum Curl Neophyte Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am not vegetarian but I am not big on meat either. I don't eat any red meats and have never been fussed on them. When it comes to meat I currently eat just chicken and fish/seafood, about once or twice a week. However I eat a diet very high in vegetables and fruits, they usually form the basis of most of my meals. I also limit my refined sugar and wheat, and dairy intake. I don't like the idea of strictly limiting myself though and ruling anything in particular as forbidden. In my day to day life I don't gorge myself on sugary foods but I still want to be able to eat store bought chocolate/candy occasionally.

For me this is what works AND makes me happy and I find it realistic as a long term lifestyle choice. I'm sure I could be healthier if I really wanted to, but I'm very happy with the way I eat now. I usually consume 5-10 portions of fruit/veg a day with little refined sugar/wheat and no dairy. I experimented a lot to get to this stage, that's all the advice I can give you MustangBunny, be healthy! But you don't want to feel like you are depriving yourself or that you're on a constant diet that you can't wait to be off.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was a vegetarian for a year when I lived with a guy who was a veg.

From what I read, it's pretty easy to obtain protein, but vegetarians can have trouble obtaining sufficient Vit. B 12 so be alert to that.

Some advice I would give is be a skeptic. Don't believe everything you read or hear from "true believers" whether veg. or meat eating, gluten avoiding, low carb, low fat, paleo, take this or that supplement, etc. Every week there's a new study that contradicts 10 other studies and what was considered "bad" is now good and the reverse. In other words, take everything you read or hear "with a grain of salt."

. :wave:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    noodly wrote: »
    I used to have a (fake) vegetarian diet when I was 11 til I was 14. I stopped completely because I realized almost all the products my mum got from stores contained meat/bones/organs. And I love fashion and makeup so eventually I wanted to stop worrying about what I eat or wear to relax a bit more.
    Anyways,
    My only opinion about being a vegetarian is to not be an extremist PETA worshipper and if you absolutely cant resist the urge of meat no matter how many months/years you tried, you dont have to try so hard! It's not a temporary diet in an attempt to lose weight, right? I wish you good luck on your diet!

Also, keep in mind if you eat fish you can't call your diet vegetarian but a pescatarian one! Many "vegetarians" make that mistake

Thanks, Noodly! I agree, I would not be a true vegetarian if I decided to keep eating fish.
    Just to reassure you, this is not about weight loss! If anything I think I will gain weight because I love carbs . . .

Go Red Wings!

PerriP wrote: »
    I'm vegetarian and also do not eat dairy (no eggs, milk, cheese, etc). I've eaten this way for almost a year and a half. There are lots of differing views on the protein thing (from "we get more than enough" to "plant protein is different and limiting" to "you need at least 30g of protein per meal"). You'll have to make your own decision regarding all of that - well, regarding most of it :)

a great resource is happyherbivore.com, she's easy to read and has several easy cookbooks (if you cook). (also engine 2 diet has recipes, but I am not very familiar with their site). There is a lot of information out there if you really want to stop eating meat. Many recommend easing into it, cutting one thing and then another. I stopped meat then about 2 weeks later stopped dairy, I didn't really wean off of anything, but I tend to be pretty bullheaded once I've made up my mind to do something.

Best of luck to you, keep us posted

also, I never, ever, thought I would give up meat, I always considered myself a meat-lover but once the flip switched for me, I don't miss it at all, occasionally, I will miss cheese (mostly when I think about a good slice of pizza) but that is rare.

you don't have to just stop doing anything, even if you simply incorporate more plant based meals in your diet, you are still making an impact, this is 100% your decision.

Yikes, cheese is my life! But I used to think that about meat. So who knows!
    I checked out Happy Herbivore, I think I might get one of her cookbooks! Thanks for the recommendation. :elephant:

Go Red Wings!

I've been a vegetarian totally for about 15 years, but really most of my life. It's a texture/taste thing for me though.

I eat a lot of salad, pasta (too much, having cutting that out) and stuff that's easy to make without meats....soups, stir frys, chilli, etc.

I do have two protein shakes a day.

Pasta has always been one of my favorite things to eat. Tonight I made my first vegetarian dinner! I made a noodle bowl with tofu and spinach. I quick fried it in a little sauce I'd made. Thanks for the support!

Go Red Wings!

I've been a vegetarian for about half my life. Meat looks like dead animal to me. Protein is not an issue, since I also like tofu. I do eat cheese and eggs and a tiny bit of milk (I love French Toast), but the products I buy are from humanely treated animals (and the cheese doesn't have rennet).

I've also begun replacing leather as much as possible, choosing shoes and purses and belts from alternative sources. I doubt I'll ever succeed 100% but I'd like to get close.

I hope you decide to join us.

I've definitely always had a thing about the way my meat looks . . . I would never eat anything that resembled what it looked like when it was alive. So I guess maybe the guilt was always there for me. Maybe I'm just sensitive but whenever I drive by animals on the road I just feel sick. And I remember going to my friend's graduation party in college and her family had roasted a pig and he was just sitting on their kitchen counter and I was really, really bothered by it. I hope that wasn't too graphic for you.
    I really like tofu, too! I usually buy soy-chorizo and it's really good, so I'm feeling pretty open to eating anything that imitates meat a little bit.
    This might be stupid, but how do you know if the products you're buying are from humanely treated animals?
    I think it's getting a lot easier to find cruelty free options because people are more aware than they used to be. But it's still not always easy! I am lucky to live near a biggish city so I have options (but Whole Foods is not going to be one of them).
    Thanks for the support!

Go Red Wings!

curlypearl wrote: »
    I was a vegetarian for a year when I lived with a guy who was a veg.

From what I read, it's pretty easy to obtain protein, but vegetarians can have trouble obtaining sufficient Vit. B 12 so be alert to that.

Some advice I would give is be a skeptic. Don't believe everything you read or hear from "true believers" whether veg. or meat eating, gluten avoiding, low carb, low fat, paleo, take this or that supplement, etc. Every week there's a new study that contradicts 10 other studies and what was considered "bad" is now good and the reverse. In other words, take everything you read or hear "with a grain of salt."

. :wave:
    Thanks for the heads up about B 12! Luckily, I am already a skeptic about most things!

Go Red Wings!

eveum wrote: »
    I am not vegetarian but I am not big on meat either. I don't eat any red meats and have never been fussed on them. When it comes to meat I currently eat just chicken and fish/seafood, about once or twice a week. However I eat a diet very high in vegetables and fruits, they usually form the basis of most of my meals. I also limit my refined sugar and wheat, and dairy intake. I don't like the idea of strictly limiting myself though and ruling anything in particular as forbidden. In my day to day life I don't gorge myself on sugary foods but I still want to be able to eat store bought chocolate/candy occasionally.

For me this is what works AND makes me happy and I find it realistic as a long term lifestyle choice. I'm sure I could be healthier if I really wanted to, but I'm very happy with the way I eat now. I usually consume 5-10 portions of fruit/veg a day with little refined sugar/wheat and no dairy. I experimented a lot to get to this stage, that's all the advice I can give you MustangBunny, be healthy! But you don't want to feel like you are depriving yourself or that you're on a constant diet that you can't wait to be off.
    That sounds like a really good approach, eveum. I think I am going to try not to expect too much from myself right now, since I'm just beginning. But thanks to everyone's awesome support and advice, I'm feeling really good about making this change right now. Thanks so much guys!! :snorting:

Go Red Wings!

• StarmieStarmie Curl Virtuoso Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I stopped eating meat over 20 years ago but I do still eat seafood, for some reason I just can't manage to give it up, I figure I just do what I can, what I'm comfortable with and what my conscience can tolerate (it's an ethical issue for me rather than a not liking meat issue, so I struggle a bit with it). My eldest son became vegetarian a year ago and I've found myself becoming more vigilant about vegetarian foods, reading packets etc for evidence of animal products (gelatine is in so many things here, it's not funny, something to be aware of).
    I wanted to write more but it's 4am here and I seem to have lost my train of thought!
    3b in South Australia.
  • sixelamysixelamy Curl Novice Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I would've been vegetarian long ago if I knew how to get enough protein elsewhere. I've never really eaten much meat, because I can't digest red meat, and don't care too much for chicken or turkey (unless it's in lunch meat form), and I don't eat fish for digestion reasons. I don't get enough protein as it is and fall back to meat if I'm feeling like I need it. I couldn't chew it growing up, so never developed a taste for it. I'm horrible at planning meals, I feel like I need a teacher.

I just got 2 guinea pigs a little over a month ago and learned that people raise guinea pigs just to eat them. I'm sure the meat is good from what we consider to be pets, but in other parts of the world these animals were originally raised to eat - just like chickens, turkeys, cows, etc.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • StarmieStarmie Curl Virtuoso Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    ^I've seen travel documentaries where they've had guinea pigs on the menu, turns my stomach but, like you say, it's what they're raised for in some places.
    I can't bear that they have kangaroo on the menu here, it's just so wrong to me. I bought some once for the boys to try (their request) and didn't even feel comfortable with it in my shopping basket, I refused to cook it and then my eldest wouldn't eat it anyway - that was when he decided to become vegetarian.
    3b in South Australia.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh yeah. Rabbit and Squirrel hunting are still fairly popular in my area. Rabbits were primarily a source of food first, and then pet for some. The wild bunnies in my area are different from the fat and fluffy pet store bunnies. Not much meat on either but it could provide an additional source of protein. It was not always so easy to run to the store and pick up tofu or a can of beans. It depended greatly on the time frame, season and money situation. When you ran out of what you canned, you had to make due. I've never eaten either but my dad grew up eating both. He started hunting for the families dinner at 8 years old. Those are also a bit easier for a kid to manage. *ETA: To each her own but I would never consider boycotting a store that sold rabbit. To me it's the meat that pepped your kids up and helps them feel better after several days of eating nothing but potatoes. On that note, I don't associate it with whole foods either.

I think the protein issue differs for many people. Yes, you can get protein from many sources but some need extra due to medical conditions. I know several diabetics who were placed on high protein diets with a considerable amount of lean animal protein involved.

I am not a Vegetarian, nor do I want to be one. I love my veggies and meat. I think Americas eat way too much meat at this point. Any the who, I habe numerous V friends who customize their diets. Some may still do eggs. Some may do fish on rare occasion. Some are Vegans. Whatever works best.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Starmie wrote: »
    I stopped eating meat over 20 years ago but I do still eat seafood, for some reason I just can't manage to give it up, I figure I just do what I can, what I'm comfortable with and what my conscience can tolerate (it's an ethical issue for me rather than a not liking meat issue, so I struggle a bit with it). My eldest son became vegetarian a year ago and I've found myself becoming more vigilant about vegetarian foods, reading packets etc for evidence of animal products (gelatine is in so many things here, it's not funny, something to be aware of).
    I wanted to write more but it's 4am here and I seem to have lost my train of thought!

A lot of seafood turns my stomach and always has, but it will be a struggle for me to give up sushi and red meat for sure, so I feel ya! Thanks for the support!

Go Red Wings!

• eveumeveum Curl Neophyte Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mustangbunny you could still enjoy delicious vegetable based sushi!

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
    Thank you, eveum! I'm certainly going to try it. And even if that's not great, I still love vegetable tempura!

Go Red Wings!

• So_JaneSo_Jane Posts: 155Registered Users

My friends say I practice a high protein-semi-vegan-diet-

I was always a picky eater growing up and the thought of eating something with eyes really creeped me out, so I refused to eat absolutely any meat or seafood or even eggs, but, I do like fat-free cottage cheese and f/f dairy yogurt, (hence the semi-vegan designation)

but I like to get my protein source from beans (as there are beans that have more protein than meat or seafood sources)... And fat-free cottage cheese as backup (and also because I love it-- I use it on just about all of my fruit or salad dishes--) ..

People will tell you many different things about 'vegetarianism', or 'veganism' or 'seafoodatarianism' or 'meatatarianism', but ultimately you have to decide what works for your personal lifestyle and why... If you like meat, eat meats that you like and skip the ones you don't, If you only like seafood, only eat seafood that you like--

If like me, you don't like anything, don't eat meat, seafood or eggs, etc.. :P

The adult human diet is a very personal choice, and although I don't like meat OR seafoods, I respect the choices my friends make about what they do or don't want to eat and they respect mine...

but if it matters at all, being more selective about what we eat is very good for maintaining healthy weights... All of my doctors complement me on my cholesterols and general bloodwork levels (I know weird-- :P) --

But, I will say this-- all of my vegetarian friends (no meat-and-no fish) and my seafood-only eating friends are about 15pounds or more thinner (have naturally more lean muscle mass) than my diehard 'meat-a-tarian' loving friends --although most of my meat-eating friends do so because they want to maintain a more buff-body-builder type physique and the meat protein helps to maintain a bulky muscle type.. But, if you want a leaner physique, either a seafood-a-tarian friendly OR a semi-vegan OR pure vegan diet will definitely help..

The main things that help with any diet are drinking lots of water, taking a daily multi-vitamin (liquid ones are the best), juicing, beans (as a mega protein source), almond milk, rice milk for healthy low-doses of vegan-fat, your body will process vegan fats very differently from other typical fats (i.e., meats, dairy, seafood), --and if you do have a sweet craving every now and then --make your own! I recently perfected my own (egg-free, oil-free-super low-fat) vegan sticky brownie -- and my non-vegetarian friends love it as much as I do!

The main thing is you don't have to pressure yourself, it's okay to take it slow food-wise, start by eliminating things that really don't agree with you (rabbit meat) and go from there.

cheers!
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file