Essential Oils for hair loss / growth

followmeskyfollowmesky Posts: 287Registered Users
anyone want to share their concoctions?

I currently started to use coconut oil as the carrier oil and lavender as the essential oil.
3b/C with nicer curls on the bottom!
Hair: naturally very dry and VERY porous
hair seems to be moody.
Does not seem to like oils
Does not like protein or too much?
Does not like rich products

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.

Comments

• PATRICIA_BPATRICIA_B Posts: 37Registered Users
    I'm having similar issue with my hair. I was seeking for a solution and stumbled upon your post. This is a very concerning problem. I'll definitely help you out if I sort out any effective solution to stop hair fall.
  • followmeskyfollowmesky Posts: 287Registered Users
    Thanks Patricia

I've bought, rosemary, clary sage, lavendar, and peppermint.

I started to experiment with lavendar and grapeseed last week.
    I'm using rosemary and grapeseed this week.

I'll post back here with results. Praying it helps.
    hair seems to be moody.

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.
  • followmeskyfollowmesky Posts: 287Registered Users
    unfortunately, I saw a small difference an now I'm back to loosing more hair. I have an appointment with my dermatologist tomorrow. This has really been frustrating me. I see pictures from years past and see how much hair I had. I don't know if I will ever go back to that. It saddens me.
    hair seems to be moody.

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm horrified when I see old photos of me and how much hair I had once upon a time, I don't think it'll ever come back. Let us know how you get on at the dermatologist, when I saw one she prescribed Spironolactone and Rogaine, neither of which I was keen to use.
    3b in South Australia.
  • amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,205Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use cedarwood and rosemary
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • So_JaneSo_Jane Posts: 155Registered Users
    anyone want to share their concoctions?

I currently started to use coconut oil as the carrier oil and lavender as the essential oil.

A lot of people have reported success with the UK esential oil blend therapy and also castor oil plus emu oil:
    1. UK EO blend; rosemary oil, lavender oil, thyme-white oil, cedarwood-atlas oil in a base oil carrier blend of pure grapeseed oil and jojoba oil-- you should be able to do a search online for the study and their specific ratios used on patients.

2. castor oil plus emu oil:
    Now Foods Solutions Golden Castor Oil (the regular food grade yellow one) or Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil used twice daily alternated weekly with Emu Oil for several months. There is a lot of info on youtube about either type of Castor Oil and Emu Oil use...

Also, There are currently 2-known successful NON-surgical medical treatments for hairloss (specifically alopecia):

1. Kenalog Injections (a type of rx-medical corticosteroid injected directly into the scalp of the affected areas (about 1-2cc every 3-4 weeks for several months to stimulate regrowth--works best in cases of less than 30-40% total hairloss as in alopecia areata and mild cases of traction hairloss)

2. Tofacitinib (an oral rx-prescribed medication originally used to treat rhumatoid arthritis and cancer symptoms in patients... That in a Yale study (2014) was found to regrow hair in alopecia-totalis patients who had not grown hair for a number of years. Suggested efficacy is for alopecia-areata and alopecia-totalis patients--).

Most Effective Surgical Solutions include;
    1. Micro-FUT (traditional strip) surgery. Recommended for both male and female patients with sufficient donor hair (harvested from the back of the head) with mild, to moderate chronic hairloss usually treatable with surgery at anywhere between 5-35% baldness). Depending upon donor density in this procedure up to 3400fut-grafts may be harvested per surgical procedure. Depending upon hairloss, may require up to 4 or more surgeries even with 2800fut-grafts transplanted per procedure.

2. Micro-FUE (robotic non-scapel) surgery. Due to the technique, this procedure is recommended most for male patients with less than 10-15% hairloss in the affected areas, who plan to keep their hair cut short. in this procedure up to 3000-fue grafts may be harvested per procedure.

Also- it's important to note that research has shown many women are allergic to ingredients in Minoxidil type products and should avoid them as they may cause facial/beard hair , scalp inflammation and further hairloss to occur over time..

blessings and goodluck!
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!
  • MatThompsonMatThompson Posts: 6Registered Users
    Oils are good for hair but not everyone knows how to use it.

Coconut Oil, Indian gooseberry oil or Blackseed oil are the best in their natural form.

These oils increase the blood flow in the skin. Any of the selected oil should be applied 2 times a week. But air should be washed properly with a soft shampoo (baby shampoo) after 3 to 4 hours. If the oil is left for longer hours it can harm the skin and scalp.

A good shower filter can help you get better results faster.
  • KarinkaKarinka Posts: 11Registered Users
    I always use oil olive!
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know if you found the solution. Coconut oil worked for me using it 2-3 times a week and then weekly.
    Another thing you can try is Vitamin E, you can take them orally but also you can pop one pill and put it on your scalp, don't wash it or leave it over night. I personally don't like this method but it has been effective on my friends. One of them was taking Vit E orally and applying coconut oil. Hope your problem is fixed :)
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know if you found the solution. Coconut oil worked for me using it 2-3 times a week and then weekly.
    Another thing you can try is Vitamin E, you can take them orally but also you can pop one pill and put it on your scalp, don't wash it or leave it over night. I personally don't like this method but it has been effective on my friends. One of them was taking Vit E orally and applying coconut oil. Hope your problem is fixed :)
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
  • AlishaAlishaAlishaAlisha Posts: 10Registered Users
    Anyone have updates on whether anything has helped them to grow back hair?

I'm currently going through vast hair loss - the second time in my life - as a result of an iron deficiency.

I have coconut oil, amla oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil jojoba oil, peppermint oil, lavender oil, olive oil and rosemary oil. I'm trying all of them on different days but not every day. Also have a shea butter conditioner but apparently, you're only supposed to use it on the hair and not the scalp because it blocks the follicles and pores.

The first time I had hair loss, I took biotin supplements and they sorted my hair right out with growing it back and growing it fast but they eventually began to lose effect and this time they aren't making a difference at all.

I've been using the oils for a week but my hair is still shedding so i'll just have to ride it out and see what happens when it slows (hopefully sometime soon?!).
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've been using a concoction I found through Pinterest from Camp Wander (blog/website, I'm not sure) for about four or five months now, not as often as you're supposed to use it though, and think I can see some new fine hairs here and there, mostly around my temples. Unfortunately the difference is negligible really and the overall appearance of my hair is much the same. I'll probably not continue with it - the carrier oil is emu and I'm very uncomfortable using it (non meat eater for over 25 years). it's supposed to be able to penetrate the skin really well, but I just don't think it's worth it. I've got lots of essential oils so I might do more reading and try something different, nothing to lose. Except more hair, sigh.....
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file