We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Can I mix two boxed dyes in this manner?

sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
I want to mix two boxed dyes by using one of the developer bottles. I was planning to simply eyeball 3/4 of the colorant of one...pour it into the developer, and then 1/4 of the other, pour it in...and shake it up.

Some cursory online reading about this has led me to believe it shouldn't be that simple, but it's not quite clear why.

:dontknow:
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users
    Box dyes aren't intended for mixing. This is why they are packaged like they are.

If you want to mix your own colour you should buy the type of dyes and developer professionals use with the appropriate mixing bowel and spatula.
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Here's a thread from another forum where people who like the results of mixing boxed dyes are sharing about it. Maybe what looks good to them is not as good as using officially mix-friendly dyes though. I have no idea.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • flapjackflapjack Posts: 11Registered Users
    i wouldnt suggest it
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I do it all the time with L'oreal Preference. Works for me. I'm pretty casual about the amounts too - sometimes 3/4 and 1/4, sometimes half and half, etc. I even save the leftover amounts and use them the next time.

I guess it never occurred to me that it couldn't be done that way.

I use L'Oreal Preference. I can't vouch for any other brand or version of L'oreal. Maybe try it once and see if you like the results. :profileleft:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • BoingBoingBoingBoingBoingBoing Posts: 22Registered Users
    I would watch out for incompatibilities in the pigment chemicals. Have you ever tried to mix 2 water-based paints together only to get a non-homogenous mess that kind of curdles? It's not always the carrier base, but also pigment incompatibility. I am definitely not an expert, but I would be cautious. Call the manufacturer and ask for guidance.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I want to mix two boxed dyes by using one of the developer bottles. I was planning to simply eyeball 3/4 of the colorant of one...pour it into the developer, and then 1/4 of the other, pour it in...and shake it up.

Some cursory online reading about this has led me to believe it shouldn't be that simple, but it's not quite clear why.

:dontknow:

I have a friend that routinely does 50/50 between two colors and my mom used to do it too.

ETA: I wouldn't because I think it's hard enough to tell what color your hair will turn out from a box dye, but that is just me. Like I said I've sure seen it done a lot. (Same brand of course, never between two brands.)
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What if you do it on hair you've already shed, from your shower or a comb (if you use one)? That's what's advised for henna.
  • freshmintcurlsfreshmintcurls Posts: 21Registered Users
    Yes, you can do this.

1. Make sure you stick with the same brand
    2. Make sure you understand what base color the colors use because some things cancel each other out. People don't advise mixing box dye because it's sometimes difficult to tell from the labeling what the base is and the result can be unpredictable if you're not sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file