Hair becoming rough after trying CG method

Hi everyone!
This is my first post so I apologize for any newbie mistakes I make :P
So I started following the CG method about a week and a half ago.
My first wash left me with the softest, bounciest curls I'd ever had. I loved it and wondered why I'd ever disliked my curly hair!
Second wash had the same results.
On the third wash, after my hair dried I noticed it wasn't soft like before. It seems sort of rough and I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.
My hair seems like a mix of 3a and 3b (aka I have some loose curls, some tight curls all mixed :mrgreen:
The products I've been using are:
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter as a co-wash and leave-in
LA Looks mega mega hold gel
Aloe Vera spritz for second day hair
I also did an Avacado/Olive Oil/Honey deep condition before the third co-wash

Any ideas from you experienced curly girls on what it could be, or how to find out?
Thanks!

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure about your other hair properties, but repeated use of shea moisture products did that to my hair because they built up. This was shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, and styling products. My hair is fine textured, low to medium density, has low porosity, and is tightly coily/curly. In my case the roughness came from buildup- those products build up quickly on my hair as do most oils or oil-heavy products like SM. Some people also have that problem with gels, and now that I'm not using oils I get that also when using aloe vera juice as a refresher spritz. I put aloe vera juice in my protein tretaments and it doesn't cause the same problems, but even diluted alone can make my hair rougher feeling.

I would start with a clarifying shampoo, you can use a sulfate free shampoo with coco betaine or another ingredient from that class (I think betaines is the group name) or a sulfate wash. When I have buildup and my coco betaine shampoo isn't working on the buildup I will use a sulfate on one wash day which does the trick. In my normal regimen, I use shampoo at least once every week to two weeks because my hair usually needs it.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • NaturallywhirlyNaturallywhirly Registered Users Posts: 9
    lolo918 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about your other hair properties, but repeated use of shea moisture products did that to my hair because they built up. This was shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, and styling products. My hair is fine textured, low to medium density, has low porosity, and is tightly coily/curly. In my case the roughness came from buildup- those products build up quickly on my hair as do most oils or oil-heavy products like SM. Some people also have that problem with gels, and now that I'm not using oils I get that also when using aloe vera juice as a refresher spritz. I put aloe vera juice in my protein tretaments and it doesn't cause the same problems, but even diluted alone can make my hair rougher feeling.

I would start with a clarifying shampoo, you can use a sulfate free shampoo with coco betaine or another ingredient from that class (I think betaines is the group name) or a sulfate wash. When I have buildup and my coco betaine shampoo isn't working on the buildup I will use a sulfate on one wash day which does the trick. In my normal regimen, I use shampoo at least once every week to two weeks because my hair usually needs it.

Thanks for the reply!
    My hair is medium texture and density. Not sure about the porosity..
    Maybe it's from all the protein?
    I will try a clarifying shampoo and see what happens
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    lolo918 wrote: »

Thanks for the reply!
    My hair is medium texture and density. Not sure about the porosity..
    Maybe it's from all the protein?
    I will try a clarifying shampoo and see what happens

I'd point the finger at the oils and butters in the SheaMoisture before I'd blame the protein, which appears much further down the ingredients list.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • NaturallywhirlyNaturallywhirly Registered Users Posts: 9
    Hey guys, I washed my hair out with a gentle sulfate-free shampoo with Cocamidopropyl Betaine today and that did the trick :D thanks for the tips!
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    That is awesome, and I'm glad you found out how to fix your problem!

Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • frizzinflafrizzinfla Registered Users Posts: 190
    Aloe makes my hair feel the way you describe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file