3A Styling/Care Techniques

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
Lately I've been noticing some ropey pieces pop up in my hair. I've always said my hair is as wavy as you can get before it gets curly but I've actually been getting curls these last several months.

I was wondering, and I pose a question to those more adept at caring for 3A curls... What kind of styling techniques or products do you use? Do your curls differ in different seasons/climates?

When I get out of the shower I seem to have these nice, clumped curls but then scrunching seems to make my curls super stringy and breaks them up. Have you tried the Rake and Shake method? Any other methods?

Does length or thickness seem to affect your curls?

Help me to understand these new curls of mine! Thank you!!!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, ropey curls…. the best thing that gives me that every time…. is a catnip tea treatment. I do this once a week (more often seems to dry out and tangle my hair). It makes my hair soft and never fails to give it that ropey, strong, springy feel.

Super Soaker can help clumping for some people. As can the ice queen method. Scrunching breaking up my hair… sounds familiar. I used to gently cup my hair in my hands and bring it to my head instead of a hard scrunch. But I found that what products I use, as well as the weather (stringier and less moisturized in the winter) can impact whether my hair stays clumped. In the winter moisture seems to be one of the keys; the other (I've been struggling with clumping lately too!) is finding a product (or homemaking flax or okra) to promote clumping. I got great clumps just from scrunching conditioner in my hair (though I squeezed out some water in order to do so), then putting harder hold products on top of it.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
    Thank you so much! I am going to try these things!!!

Current Products:

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Let me know how it goes! And feel free to share if you find something that works. I'm sporting pinned up ramen noodles currently :). Hardcore raking doesn't seem to work in this weather anymore.

Edit: Also, O/T, just saw the quote in your siggy. I like it! Recently I've discovered Earthing (basically walking barefoot on the Earth). It is an incredible feeling and this is a wise quote.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
    Yeah, I will! I'm making sure I don't get lazy with my hair and just stick to what I know. Gotta change it up!

And thank you! I was looking for quotes about hair and found that one. I love Khalil Gibran.

Current Products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file