To Curl or to Wave, that is the question

So - I wonder how many curly gals would be wavy if left to own devices?

If I scrunch and follow the process I achieve 2c - 3b curls.
If I just dry using a microfibre towel, and comb when damp, I'm more wavey with the odd ringlet, and it can look quite beachy!!.... this is beacause my hair is pretty long now, which I think helps,with some of the fuzziness I would have experienced at shorter lengths...
Wondering if anyone else a bit like this, and if so how do you encourage the smoother waves? Just thinking of trying to put a bit less time in to my routine, and fancy a change, and maybe embracing type 2 instead of trying to be a 3!!! advice welcome particular on products to use once dry, gels are out all together for this style, as if I scrunch its going against the purpose. I find many smooting creams, just make me lank and greasy and dry looking...
Type 2b - 3b (wavy with a bit of botticelli) depending...
Low Porosity, Fine, & Long
Can be frizzy,quite dry & tangly!

I use anything as a co-wash, sometimes Lopoo with Jessicurl or Moogoo. Like to use Coconot Oil weekly.
Hair likes a leave in Plus gel - I am a bit of a product junkie, so it varies a bit, but Deva Ultra Gel def works, and like KCKT and Darcy's products at the mo.

CG since early 2012 -Mostly it's about the method for me.

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    "Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
    The Slings and Arrows of uncertain hair type and texture,
    Or to take Arms against the daily wondering......."
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I'm a bit like this…. hair ranges from 2a to 3a. For me I suspect my curl pattern is looser than yours so it's easier for me to achieve waves. Commercial products give me 3a (apparently…. but I'm allergic to most of them so not an option most of the time). Homemade lighter hold products will give me waves or my curls will loosen…. especially if I use a leave in underneath…. the more I put on my hair the more it gets weighed down and the weaker the harder hold homemade gel is on top.
    Gels don't need to be scrunched…. in fact sometimes doing so disrupts my pattern/clumps. You can gently work gel into your hair, put the gel in your hands and cup your hair to your head gently instead of scrunching…. or also squeezing gel gently into the clumps can work. Once dry I don't have much advice…. my hair doesn't do as well dry… but it will take aloe vera juice or gel. AVG can help with strays and fly aways and moisturizing the hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    Hey!

I know what you mean! When I use gel I get a much tighter curl pattern, but with moisturizers and other stuff it's a lot looser (definitely also depends on what you do in the shower, too). For waves, I would say probably keep washing/co-washing as you've been doing and then just apply light moisturizers... Then just let your hair be. It's been kinda fun wearing it "straight" and then the next day being super curly.

Just because you've decided to embrace "curly" doesn't mean you need to style the same way all the time! Have fun with it!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried just smoothing product down over your hair in sections or raking it down through and letting it air dry?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file