The best product is....nothing!

I have finally, after two years of slowly weaning myself into the curly world, transitioned to using nothing on my hair, with the exception of a teeny bit of jojoba oil on my ends once or twice a week.

I used to use at least four products a day, along with co washing every single morning. Now I just water-only wash, use my oil after (sometimes), french braid when I want it out of my face, and it looks fabulous! I have those beach, wild hippy waves i always loved. And I finally have VOLUME.

Since doing this, my dandruff is gone. I did use a little help from ACV rinse at the start of water-washing to help that.

I did not do this cold turkey. It took TWO YEARS for my hair to adjust to quitting sulfates, then co washing, then maybe one product, then nothing. And it worked wonders. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm darn sure its growing faster too.

Just thought I would share my story as an ex product junkie, to another (:
High Porosity
Fine
Dense
2c-3b

Comments

• djonae18djonae18 Registered Users Posts: 43
    Great story. Sounds great for you but i dont know if this could work for me.

Sent from my LG-D959 using CurlTalk App
  • robynmprobynmp Registered Users Posts: 75
    Jealous. Can you give us more details about how you got to this stage?
    Fine, 2c-3a, high porosity, high density, bleached ends.

Hair hates glycerin
  • dsarasondsarason Registered Users Posts: 2
    That is so inspiring to read! I did this years ago and loved it, but it's been a long time. I don't use any shampoo or conditioner but I do rinse sometimes with ACV and I use jojoba oil...I resist using heavier products because my scalp & hair has been so so dry & tangled lately. But your post inspires me to keep moving towards nothing. :)
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    Never gonna happen in my world!

It must feel quite liberating.
    3b in South Australia.
  • HaileyRHaileyR Registered Users Posts: 98
    Starmie wrote: »
    Never gonna happen in my world!

It must feel quite liberating.

It really is. Packing is so easy, sleep overs, its wonderful. A year ago, if someone said to give up products I would roll around in laughter. I thought it would never happen!
    robynmp wrote: »
    Jealous. Can you give us more details about how you got to this stage?

It wasn't easy. I am a teenager still and I go to a school where everyone flat irons their hair. My entire family does the same. Still, a lot of them try and convince me to get chemical treatments like they do. But heck no, never again.

I really don't remember the whole process. I just know I used to use so many things on it. Deva, Kinky Curly, Mixed chicks, everything. I would low poo daily. Then stopped and no pooed daily. Then stopped and co washed daily. Then every other day, and very slowly just weened off.

My scalp is incredibly dry usually, luckily it never flaked for me too bad, but one glance at the scalp and it looks like a dessert. So about six months ago I quit using anything to cleanse my scalp and only used conditioner on my ends to try and re balance oil production . On top of that, I stopped getting my hair wet in the shower every day. If it needed refreshing, I used a spray bottle. Slowly, I went from every other day, to once a week, to now less sometimes depending on the season. In winter I could easily go a month without using anything but water on my scalp. At first my scalp hated it. It was this peculiar combination of dry and oily. But then my hair began getting used to it and suddenly I didn't NEED gel.
    But during this transition, my hair hated it. It was a wreck really. I have very fine, thin, hair. So even at its best its frizzy. So doing this made it 100x worse. I have very good self esteem and friends who adore me, so the "ugly" phases wasnt horrific, I had lots of support. Though Im sure if I cared a bit more about things like dating or appearance, it would have been more difficult. :tongue5:

Honestly, to summarize, because clearly I am awful with words, all I did was just quit. I quit and ignored the fact I looked like poo. and one day I realized I no longer looked like poo. I let my body fix itself. All that time, all it wanted was for me to chill. I used gel for the first time last week at my mothers request and had the worse hair day ever. The hair knows what the wants .

But I want to add, without the aid of many products, I cant get my princess coils anymore. Only big, beach waves, kind of hippy hair, with a few springy coils mixed in. Everyone is different, but from I have seen, I dont think this would work if you hair is naturally super coily, or you desire very coily hair.
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Dense
    2c-3b
  • NaturallywhirlyNaturallywhirly Registered Users Posts: 9
    Once my hair gets used to co-washing I totally want to do this.
    I feel like we add all this crazy stuff to our hair, but that isn't what nature intended imo
  • heartincloverheartinclover Registered Users Posts: 33
    I need a whole fleet of products to get definition and shine in my hair. Without product my hair is pretty lifeless. Plus I'd feel naked with nothing in it. :pale:
  • HaileyRHaileyR Registered Users Posts: 98
    I feel like we add all this crazy stuff to our hair, but that isn't what nature intended imo

In old paintings, the women always had elegant big curls. I cant imagine those were all made up considering those paintings had all the other flaws of humanity (lets be real, some of those ladies arent all that easy on the eye) so the whole no product thing is worth a shot if it worked for all or ancestors!
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Dense
    2c-3b
  • heartincloverheartinclover Registered Users Posts: 33
    HaileyR wrote: »

In old paintings, the women always had elegant big curls. I cant imagine those were all made up considering those paintings had all the other flaws of humanity (lets be real, some of those ladies arent all that easy on the eye) so the whole no product thing is worth a shot if it worked for all or ancestors!
    They curled the hair artificially back then just as many people do today (pin curls, finger curls, and hot tong-like spoons [not the actual name] used like curling irons all existed in different ways since ancient times, some using heat and gel-like products for curl setting). Also, the majority of people who were wealthy enough to even be considered for immortalization through painting were usually very trendy with wigs, hair pieces, etc. People have been fighting and altering their natural hair texture for as long as there have been people. Not to mention that painters, more often than not, do take artistic liberty when depicting their models. If they painted people with more flattering faces (for the time, changing beauty standards means that what was hot and attractive then would be a 5-headed mess/flawed when viewed through a modern lens today), they painted people with more fashionable hair styles.
  • frcklsfrckls Registered Users Posts: 528 Curl Neophyte
    How nice it is to hear your story. I can imagine how liberating that feels. I don't pile too many products on my hair, but I've got a few staples I'd be horrified to run out. I had that phases with my facial skin. I used to have elaborate routines but once I went simple (which still requires a few products, unfortunately) my skin has been the best in years. Maybe I should go co-styling a bit more often....
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • NaturallywhirlyNaturallywhirly Registered Users Posts: 9
    HaileyR wrote: »

Like heartinclover said, they probably did use products in their hair or even wear wigs, but I'm betting in the old days before they had scientists that could make special chemicals and mix up radioactive ingredients (did they even use soap? idk :P) the products they used were probably much more natural
    Maybe I'm wrong, just a hunch

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file