Products you love vs hate

Are there any products that you can't live without? Or any you would rather not have to use again? (I don't mean specific brands just things like gel or mousse that are part of your regimen) what stuff does and doesn't work for YOUR hair in particular

Comments

• MizHowdyMizHowdy Registered Users Posts: 50
    Just because a product did not work for you does not mean it is a 'bad' product. This site has a whole subforum for product reviews; we can share reviews there. It is helpful in a review to know the reviewer's hair properties, how they used a product and what it did or didn't do. Some even share info on weather (some products may work well in some conditions and not in others). It is also with noting that in the year that I've been curly (love the Curly Girl Handbook and my Deva-trained stylist), my hair has changed and some products that I thought were great originally are now just 'meh' and others that were not useful to me originally are now used regularly.

There is a thread about products that others love, but just don't work for you; that is helpful because there is lots of usage info there. Having a thread where we label products as 'bad' doesn't seem helpful.

Just sayin'
  • kyahailkyahail Banned Users Posts: 67
    On the product review page there isn't every hair product listed ever
  • kyahailkyahail Banned Users Posts: 67
    Also if you get offended because I say I don't like a product you use then you are way too sensitive
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    What Miz Howdy was pointing at was that just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it is a bad product. By your standard, I would sing from rooftops that Shea Moisture products were something to stay away from or not waste your money on. I tried many of them because so many people loved them to be honest. However, they build up easily on my hair, make it feel really stiff and undefined- can't get second day hair using their stylers. So they do not work with hair properties and are a waste of my money if I buy them to use, but that doesn't mean that they are a BAD product.

As for your "review", what would have helped most was knowing what your hair is like so that others can judge for themselves if it is worth trying or not. Your post is very inflammatory because seriously there might be someone who has no problems using it at all. In my two years of being natural what I have noticed is that there can be lots of similarities within families. For instance, my older sister and I both have low porosity, fine textured hair but totally different curl types. So even though my sister has type 4 curls, our hair doesn't do the best with straight oils among other things. My younger sister and my mom have normal to high porosity, medium to coarse textured hair and have no problems using oils on their hair. In fact, my mom LOOOVES Shea Moisture products to the moon and back- the same ones I have no use for.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree. You may want to lurk around and read quite a bit to get a feel for the general type of communication about products, methods, and hair types around here. I came in with a feeling that I had ugly terrible hair because of its properties but there are plenty of people with those same properties who have gorgeous envy worthy hair. They didn't appreciate me calling those properties ugly or terrible. Same general idea for products and methods.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    Usually what I find most helpful is when people try to figure out why a product doesn't work for them. That way people with similar hair properties can benefit. For instance, the gel you're talking about has wheat protein fairly high on the ingredients list, and that might not agree with your hair, just as an example. I have yet to see a product mentioned on the forum that everyone's hair loved or hated, there are just too many variables for that to be possible.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file