How do you define curl type?

naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
Just wondering, how do you decide what curl type you are? That sounds simplistic, but my hair can really vary. Today I tried my first commercial super strong gel and the entire back of my head was 3a; the sides were 2c/3a, and the very front was 2b/c (though the front sometimes goes in 3a). Normally I consider myself 2b/sometimes 2c/sometimes even 2a. Since I use homemade (weaker hold) products normally then I say I'm a 2b. Are there others out there whose pattern varies so much depending on what products you use? If so do you type yourself by the strongest product you use, the product you most frequently use, or your bare hair pattern?

3A/f/i
Super baby fine hair, low porosity
Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Comments

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Banned Users Posts: 1,099 Curl Neophyte
    I tend to go by the overall characteristics of my hair. After going CG it's gotten much curlier but it is still course and has an "outer layer" that is not as curly as the underneath. This fits into the 2C type; I don't go by how curly it is actually as I also have portions of my hair that could be 3B. But the overall characteristics of my entire head of hair fit best into the 2C. Everybody is different, however, and we won't all fit into someone else's "mold".

What gel did you use and how did you style your hair to get your great curl today??
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I used volumax mega; great for curl and clumping, but went a little heavy and have allergies and "plastic hair" helmet head (with some flakes--ouch!). Underneath that I did my usual; SSCEJ combed through length, then super soaker, then homemade gel, then volumax, then diffused and used SMasters with more volumax (which was apparently too much volumax even though I used a tiny blob each time).
    You're right about not fitting into a mold. If I wash my hair, over condition it and brush it straight I'm a 2a at most. My hair was like yours in the past (less curly canopy) back when my hair was more dense.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I just kind of 'round it up' for my curl type. Like I have 3B parts, but also 2C parts some days. But, overall, my hair mostly seems to be 3A. So I just call it 3A lol
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with Botticelli Brit and just sort of round it up and define it by it's overall look. I have different types of curls but overall it seems to be 3b. And although my hair is a frizzy yucky mess if there's no product, it's still recognisable as 3b, I don't get more or less curl with different products either.
    3b in South Australia.
  • frcklsfrckls Registered Users Posts: 528 Curl Neophyte
    Ditto on rounding it up. I just recently thought about the exact same thing of how does one define its curl type. My curls can definitely get looser or tighter depending on the products I use. My hair looks somewhat 2b naked, but I know that with proper care, it's more 2c. If I encourage the curls more with some products, I can get borderline 3a. My underlayer, however, mostly stay 2b/a no matter how hard I try to sculpt it.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file