My ends lose their curl!

Hi everyone! I've searched and searched on this topic and haven't come up with a satisfactory answer anywhere, so here I am coming to the curly experts.

My hair is pretty long - around the bra strap - and when it's wet it looks nice and curly (2b/2c) all the way down to the ends. As it dries, it stays nicely wavy and curly for about 2/3 of the length, but the ends get kind of straight. I have had it bleached in the past, and imagine it is heat damaged. I really hope the answer isn't to just cut it off, because I love my length. Any advice on how to get my curl back?

Comments

• noodlynoodly Banned Users Posts: 161
  • CurleeCarolCurleeCarol Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thanks noodly! I think that might just work. I haven't been using mousse lately, but will try it. I'm not a big product user, but I think that's what I'll need to do to get the look I'm after.
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Registered Users Posts: 373
    Sometimes some of my ends will naturally dry straight. I use a curling iron on a low setting just towards the ends and follow with spray gel so it keeps the curl. Works great!
  • heartincloverheartinclover Registered Users Posts: 33
    Is your hair color treated at all? Mine is pretty bleached, so my ends tend to be a little looser than I like. What I usually do is wrap the worst offenders around my finger and pin it up (loosely) while it drys a little. I have 3b hair, so that usually gets my ends to match the rest of my curl pattern, but you may need to make a looser loop than that for it to match your hair texture.
    Thanks DC. I haven't even turned on my curling iron in months, but this may be the perfect solution for when I really need it to look perfect.

Thanks Heart. Yes, the lower part of my hair has been bleached, so I'm pretty sure it's damaged. I often do the finger curl technique, without the pins, to get soft face-framing curls when I do a bun or ponytail, so I can try that on the ends too.

I'm going to look up how to do the strand test again and see if I can figure out the stretch, porosity, etc. I did an olive oil treatment overnight last night and it is better this morning, but not "good enough", IYKWIM. I went to Sally's Beauty this morning and got a sample pack of ION treatment and one of reconstructor, so I'll try those periodically and see what my hair wants/needs.
  • heartincloverheartinclover Registered Users Posts: 33
    Thanks DC. I haven't even turned on my curling iron in months, but this may be the perfect solution for when I really need it to look perfect.

Thanks Heart. Yes, the lower part of my hair has been bleached, so I'm pretty sure it's damaged. I often do the finger curl technique, without the pins, to get soft face-framing curls when I do a bun or ponytail, so I can try that on the ends too.

I'm going to look up how to do the strand test again and see if I can figure out the stretch, porosity, etc. I did an olive oil treatment overnight last night and it is better this morning, but not "good enough", IYKWIM. I went to Sally's Beauty this morning and got a sample pack of ION treatment and one of reconstructor, so I'll try those periodically and see what my hair wants/needs.

No problem, good luck! I'm a huge fan of Ion's reconstructor. If you like it, I'd recommend getting the bottle size & to try adding some olive oil and/or coconut oil for an even deeper treatment.
    No problem, good luck! I'm a huge fan of Ion's reconstructor. If you like it, I'd recommend getting the bottle size & to try adding some olive oil and/or coconut oil for an even deeper treatment.

Ah, great recommendation. I just did the strand test, and much to my surprise, I seem to have good elasticity, and have medium texture. The lower several inches seem to be more porous than the top - no surprise due to the bleach damage. I think I'm on my way!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file