Matted nape hair?

So I finally feel like I've really started to get the hang of dealing with my hair--I really like it and have figured out how to manage it....mostly.

No matter what i do I have these ridiculous knots at the nape of my neck and I cannot figure out why. I would understand if it appeared only after sleeping on it (I pineapple at night), but it even happens immediately after I wash my hair once it starts drying and I can't seem to avoid it. It doesn't seem to matter how much or little product I apply to that section, it becomes fluffy and undefined and then starts getting matted almost right away.

Has anyone had issues with this? Any thoughts on what I should do to fix it?
Currently using:
Cleanser: SM Curl and Shine Shampoo, DevaCurl Low Poo, Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Conditioner: DevaCurl Decadance One Condition
DT: The Mane Choice Green Tea & Carrot Deep Conditioning Mask
Leave-In: SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
Styler: KCCC, CK, LA Looks SG, DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I have some trouble with this, but it just seems to be a fact of texture for me. (I'm a slightly coarse underhair wavy.) Because of this, I only comb my nape hair when it's super-duper conditioned as a result, because tangles and pulling and tearing hurt and make me furious in a crazy way.
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Banned Users Posts: 1,099 Curl Neophyte
    I get those ALL the time. I've actually had them my entire life; I remember as a girl I didn't brush (that was back when I did used to brush my hair) that part and it got REALLY knotted an my mom gave me a huge lecture about it when she found out. LOL Even if I were to keep my hair combed, that portion will tangle within a minute or two. For me, it's because that's where my kinkiest ringlets are; those are what appear to knot up more quickly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file