questions about cutting hair

I have very long, thick curly hair, probably 3A. I've been wanting to cut my hair for a while, but I just started a full time job last week and now I'm really ready to get rid of all this hair. I need something low maintenance that still looks nice (I have to wear business attire to work). If I cut my hair shorter (definitely above shoulder length), will the curls become tighter or will they loosen into waves? Ideally I would love one of those layered wavy "messy" style 'dos, but part of me wants to stay safe and keep it long enough to ponytail. I would love any suggestions for how to cut it!

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    It's really hard to tell. Some hair is more curly when shorter, some is less. Have you had shorter hair before? Maybe looking at old photos could help. I cut my long hair a few months ago, and basically just had to hope for the best because I hadn't had short hair before.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • potatoheadpotatohead Registered Users Posts: 175
    I agree with SereneCurls, it's hard to tell. Since you have a lot of length to play with maybe you can cut it to BSL or even shoulder length and see how that change effects the tightness of your curls. Then, if it's a pattern you think you would enjoy at a shorter length, you can chop it to the cute messy 'do.
    I'd say cut off a few inches at a time and try different lengths before you go super short since it is a big commitment. Good luck!

3B/3C
    Fine thickness, medium density, high porosity

CG since 1/25/2014
    BC 6/25/2015
    Still figuring my hair out
  • sdkittysdkitty Registered Users Posts: 360 Curl Novice
    I agree, it's hard to tell for sure. But if you cut to just below your shoulders, looking at your hair, I think you'd retain your curl. After that, if you wanted to you could go shorter.
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Registered Users Posts: 373
    It's difficult to tell, but do you have layers? I agree with the other ladies, start with cutting a few inches off and adding layers, and go from there.
  • swerven29swerven29 Registered Users Posts: 17
    It's really hard to tell. Some hair is more curly when shorter, some is less. Have you had shorter hair before? Maybe looking at old photos could help. I cut my long hair a few months ago, and basically just had to hope for the best because I hadn't had short hair before.

I have had it shorter, but it was years ago and before I started the CG method. So lots of bad products to weigh it down, plus thinning it. It seems the older I get, the curlier it gets. It's weird though, I have some pieces that are really curly, then other pieces that are almost straight.
  • swerven29swerven29 Registered Users Posts: 17
    DCWavyLady wrote: »
    It's difficult to tell, but do you have layers? I agree with the other ladies, start with cutting a few inches off and adding layers, and go from there.

I do have layers, due to a Deva cut. My last haircut was back in April, and he did a great job to help it lay nice.
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Registered Users Posts: 373
    I'd go for another devacut and ask for a few inches to be chopped. Of course, be specific since "a few inches" means something different to every stylist.
  • NaturallywhirlyNaturallywhirly Registered Users Posts: 9
    I watched some videos and read tons of articles before I cut my hair.
    Basically what I learned is the bottom of the hair tends to be the curliest, because the top is usually stretched out from all the weight.
    When you get shorter layers on top, it allows the curl to start higher up on the head, so if you get several layers at different lengths, you'll have volume all around instead of the dreaded 'pyramid head' (volume all on the end of the hair)
    It's hard to say how curly your hair will be until you try it out, but I assume it will look at least a little bit curlier than before, because you won't have as much weight stretching the curl out.
    Also curly hair is really forgiving when it comes to cutting layers (you can mix them around if you make a mistake and no one will be able to tell!)
    Elizabeth from Delightfully Tacky has a gorgeous haircut that you may like, it won't let me link it cause I'm a newbie, but she has a guide on how to get her haircut that you might want to check out!
    Hope this helps!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file