need products for special event; what to buy?

naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
Hi curlies,

So I have a special event this week. I'm considering breaking down and using commercial products (normally off limits due to sensitivities and etc) because I want my hair to look good and I may have to walk outside in the wind that day (boo!). I need strong hold most of all, my hair loves protein, is super fine and gets weighed down easily. I need volume, which I can get with the right techniques, but leaves my hair in back bare, so if I can cheat and use products to get volume that would be fine too for the event.

What to buy? I was thinking of volumax mega. I don't have much time for experimenting and tomorrow can only go to the grocery store or pharmacy (no sally's). Does Whole Foods or another supermarket sell any good gels? BRHG is supposed to be good but some say it makes the hair feel "product-y" which my hair is vulnerable to. Otherwise I need to wait until 2 days before the event to buy from another store and experiment. Are there any local stores aside from sally's which sell volumax mega? What else should I consider? Mousse?

Also any advice on how to use the product, how much to use for fine hair that gets weighed down or feels product-y easily would be so appreciated. Thanks!

3A/f/i
Super baby fine hair, low porosity
Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Comments

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Registered Users Posts: 477
    Volumax Mega is my go-to gel. The only place I've seen it is at Sally's. You should really try for a day or so to practice with it, if you can, otherwise you might just want to go with what you know for now.

My tips for using it:

You either need to add it to really wet hair or apply it with wet hands. It is a super gloppy, sticky gel, and it really clumps my hair up nicely. I make sure it is well distributed with my Denman.

It has a crunch, but scrunches out really well. You have to make sure it is completely dry. It takes a while for it to dry in my hair.

Because it is a hard hold gel, you might be able to mix a little bit with whatever else it is you're using instead of going whole hog with it - I find it plays nicely with FSG, etc.

I'm still experimenting with BHRG as I can't use it by its lonesome (too much PVP), but it's ok. I like the Volumax better. I haven't tried anything from WF as some botanicals break me out.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I couldn't find BRHG, so got Volumax Mega and Biotera. I don't even have enough time to experiment with both, so may return one!

I'll keep all your advice in mind for the Volumax, thanks!

Yeah, I'm finding the same thing with PVP…. I tried alba botanica and used a dab on my hair yesterday and it turned out okay… but today I tried a dab and another dab using the SMasters method… hair is greasy/wet looking. So maybe Volumax would be good for me.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    PVP gives me instant frizz, it's weird. It's in so many products too, oh well. For some reason if I mix a little BRHG in with other gels, it isn't so bad, but with all things it's about the formulation. I've only seen BRHG on the ground at Ulta.

Good luck with the Volumax! I really like it.

:thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    Soo, I sorta bombed on the volumax. I used what I thought was a relatively small amount (2 blobs) and got greasy plasticy hair. And I got some skin burning/irritation and bad eye irritation (probably due to the fragrance or parabens). Could deal with that for a special event though (maybe). But also the back of my head was pure 3a, which was neat. Definitely a stronger curl pattern throughout, a solid 2c/3a. Maybe using less volumax, or using an even stronger gelatin gel would pay off, but running out of time to find out. In the future maybe buying the active ingredients (polyacrylate copolymer 2) and throwing a little of that in my homemade gel might be helpful. That way no other chemical irritants. Don't know where to buy that one though. I understand why you prefer this to the PVP. It has better hold--like cement!

3A/f/i
    There's definitely a learning curve, IMO. The first few times I tried it I didn't like it much... but I hung in there. Now I'm hoping it won't be discontinued, LOL! (Everything I like gets discontinued eventually, thanks for nothing, Neutrogena, I'm looking at you).

Try it different ways and with different amounts (I know you're running out of experiment time, but see if you like it better over time) - while I love my FSG I actually prefer at this point to use Mega over nothing at all, except maybe a teensy bit of leave in (all my fine hair can handle anyway). SOTC is essential - but the more stuff I use under it the harder it is to scrunch out.

At least it makes for an easier routine, nothing to layer! :happy6:

I get the best 2nd day hair with this, which is saying a lot for me. I am finding that I like the acrylates - they do give that plasticy feeling when it's drying, but I think that's what makes the hold so good.

Although, if you continue to experience some irritation with it, ditch it. I also have to watch what I use in my hair due to picky skin and eyes, and fragrance is a big one. I totally understand what that's like.

• heartincloverheartinclover Registered Users Posts: 33
    I'm a big fan of Eco Styler Argan Oil Gel. It's really light, has good hold and leaves the hair soft and flake free. It's on sale right now for $3.99 at Sally's.
    Thanks guys. Yeah I was eying the eco styler but it has chemical fragrance unfortunately. My reaction to the mega became pretty bad and I had to wash it out today. I tried a double dose gelatin hair gel but it was a bit too strong, used too much and it's difficult to scrunch out/stringy curls. I have until the day after tomorrow to have great hair. I have an idea though…. had gotten curl formers awhile back and maybe it's time to wash my hair a 2nd time today and give them a whirl (if I can find them!). While I wish I could wear my natural hair, it doesn't look good right now and that may be the only way to guarantee great hair.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file