FimuFimu Registered Users Posts: 322 Curl Neophyte

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Africa is a large continent. Larger in size than North America. Do you seriously expect the inhabitants of one of the largest land masses in the world to have the same hair?
  • FimuFimu Registered Users Posts: 322 Curl Neophyte
    To put it bluntly you need to go and need both your parents' blood relations to see where your hair and other physical characteristics originated from.

Kenya has at least 40 ethnic groups.

Due to it's location it has participated in trade for and had immigration for centuries.

To put simply when talking about African countries you need to be aware the borders are artificial as they were drawn on a map by European powers when they colonised Africa.

Therefore if you want to find out whether a particular phenotype is common you need to investigate a specific named group of people.

Specific ethnic or tribal groups in Africa can extend over multiple countries. People in those groups will have had children with people from other groups in Africa, Asia and Europe thanks to trade, immigration and colonialism.

So your best bet for finding out if the hair or any genes you have are common is by meeting as many blood relations as possible on both sides of your family regardless of where they originated from.

I have friends' who have found some of their characteristics are similar to their aunts, uncles, great aunts and/or great uncles rather their parents and grandparents.

If you are lucky your relations on one or both sides may have a geographical area i.e. village that lots of them can trace their roots back to regardless of what country in the world they are from.

However even then this doesn't guarantee you will all look the same or have the same physical characteristics. Humans have evolved to be genetically different as it aids familial survival.

BTW There have been posters who have been banned for strongly insisting that people from a particular African region/country all have the same exact type of hair or a particular hair property.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I think it's more common for African-Americans to have fine hair than coarse hair , but I have no idea how common it is for west Africans to have fine or coarse hair. African slaves from the new world cane from specific West African countries.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    I think it's more common for African-Americans to have fine hair than coarse hair , but I have no idea how common it is for west Africans to have fine or coarse hair. African slaves from the new world cane from specific West African countries.

Kenya is in East Africa not West Africa.
    I never said Kenya was in West Africa. I know basic geography, and as an American, I know that slaves came from West Africa so I have no reason to mention Kenya.

I never said Kenya was in West Africa. I know basic geography, and as an American, I know that slaves came from West Africa so I have no reason to mention Kenya.

The OP mentioned Kenya in her example so I was puzzled why you mentioned West Africa, when she was trying to compare hair in an East Africa country to Afro-American's.
    I only saw her first post that mentioned African Americans. I guess she'll need to make friends with some Kenyans to get her answer lol.

• testimony777testimony777 Registered Users Posts: 237 Curl Connoisseur
    I have often wondered about this. I have always just taken that presumption as one of the broad generalizations that people make about "black" hair (it is usually dry, fine (or course), kinky etc.). In my experience people of African decent have hair with a broad range of textures, densities, porosities. patterns etc.. For example my oldest daughter has course hair and my mom and youngest daughter have fine hair (one finer than the other) and I have medium to course strands.
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file