spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
Which do you like better? Why?

A.
image_67117.jpg

B.
21882_1_1_300.jpg

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't like a chunky heel, but if I had to say, I'd pick A, because it's more interesting visually.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I vote for B because the leather looks a little finer than the two-tone one and it is more versatile than A. The 2-colors in A, and the rough appearance overall, which looks perfect for hiking in the country, will limit you more than B which can be dressed up or dressed down.

Also, on A in the front at bottom, it looks like there is white glue sticking out. ?? If that is so, then it isn't well made. The 2-colors are definitely more interesting than just the black - however, that nice feature doesn't outweigh the other considerations, IMO.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I like A, because it has more character than B. Plus you can wear it with more colors and it wouldn't clash (especially brown and black).
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    A does have more character and interest, but what about that white stuff on the front in the bottom? Is that visible on your computer?

Also, while one could wear A with more colors, one could wear B with more styles.

Ha ha - for a change a dispute on nc.com that won't lead to bloodshed, people being banned, WW III, etc. Fight for your opinions! :director::boxing:
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    curlypearl wrote: »
    A does have more character and interest, but what about that white stuff on the front in the bottom? Is that visible on your computer?

Also, while one could wear A with more colors, one could wear B with more styles.

Ha ha - for a change a dispute on nc.com that won't lead to bloodshed, people being banned, WW III, etc. Fight for your opinions! :director::boxing:

I see tiny stitches on the front and some shine on the side of the sole of the top boot. I don't really see anything that I'd think was glue. It's supposedly a really good hand-cobbled brand (Bed Stu). The reviews for that brand and on that particular style are very positive. Everyone says "beautifully made." So I think the quality will be there. The only complaint is that the sizing is wildly inconsistent, presumably bc they are hand made. That does worry me. I think they are adorable but maybe a little too kooky looking?

The bottom boot is Frye...also a good quality brand. But the frye boots I've had have been stiff as heck. And the bottom boot costs $120 more than the top boot. But at least I know my size in that brand. I like the bottom boot less but it has a lug sole and that is very important to me bc I always slip on ice.

I should have prefaced the OP by saying, I have several other pairs of ankle boots. So I don't need this pair to be all that versatile. Versatility would be nice, but I have dressier ankle boots. And I have boots specifically for walking in snow/ice.

About fighting over this topic...never underestimate the craziness that can ensue on even the most innocently-intended threads. LOL Remember Uncrustables, plasticware and shower curtains? :blob6:

One hikes in flats, to the best of my knowledge.

Or has someone here hiked in a chunk heel?
    I am changing my decision. Go with Boot A!

As long as you have other boots, I don't think these are too kooky looking. They are cute! My objections were to what I saw as white glue, that they might not be well made and that the style might be limiting, but you have addressed those concerns. Hand made anything usually indicates exceptional quality. An actual real person made those shoes! It's always best to go with what you hanker after LOL.

The stiffness of Boot B is definitely a problem. I would avoid stiff boots period. Can you order two sizes of Boot A and then return whichever size doesn't work out? Also, to avoid slipping on ice, can you take the boots to a shoemaker and have him/her do something to the sole? I've done that - they put on some kind of strip that is anti-slip. Also, check for solutions to that issue on the internet.

Good luck and enjoy your purchase! :blob6:
    Claudine, I've not hiked on any real trail since I was 12 years old so I wouldn't know, but I expect you are right that hikers wear flat shoes.

Also, Spider, I don't offhand remember those debates but your point is well taken. We are a feisty bunch. What are uncrustables? Why was that contentious? :laughing6:
    You are a city girl, born and bred, cp, m'dear.

Although if anyone here has hiked in anything more than a 1/4 inch heel, I'd like to hear more.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd have to get both, but if forced I would pick A.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PS- Every timeI glance at this thread title quickly I see "casual black face". What? Is this a new office trend that no one should know about.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I love A and want someone to buy them for me. : )
    I love the 2 tones, the pull-on loop in the back, the tougher look. I really do love them.

My hiking boots have about an inch heel but that is so they can have a deep tread.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I prefer A but really don't like the heel, I'm very fussy about heels though.
    3b in South Australia.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    LoveLoveLoveLove A so much, but would probably get more wear out of two.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    So I got a refund on the shoes I returned last week (that I had worn to work and decided were too painful) and I bought the two-tone pair above (A). I took my chances and bought a size 10, based on the reviews, even tho I wear a size 9.5 in most shoes. They aren't any 10.5s and the idea of buying an 11 just sounds ridiculous to me so if the 10s don't fit, I'm not sure what i'll do. I wished I could have bought a 9.4 as they were $50 less than the 10s. We'll see. Eventually, I would like to get the bottom pair too; they remind me so much of a pair I had in high school that I wore constantly.

Thanks, everyone. For those who like them: the price does vary by size so you might be able to find a good deal.

Do any of you have your eye on other styles of casual ankle boots? Do post pics!

Curlypearl - Yes, I'd like to bring them somewhere and have something done to or added to the soles to make them slip-resistent. It's so hard anymore to find a real cobbler/shoe-maker, tho. I think there are stick on strips I could buy....will look into that.

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Run lines of hot glue across the bottom to help with the slip issue.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I made the terrible mistake of going to that website. Oh my goodness there are lots of boots I love there. I would never spend that much on a pair of boots, but if I did I would buy about 20 pair. : )
    The cowboy boots called Shine - oh I love them.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Same here, Jeepy. I feel very drawn to the Craven boots....Christmas list?!

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

Wow, I love this bag, also from the Bed Stu site.
    image_60119.jpg

Honestly, for the quality (reported), I think the prices are reasonable/typical. Plus, you can find deals on ebay, Amazon, etc.

I do consider Frye to be pricey, tho.

***nice sandals also from Bed Stu
    image_70328.jpg

Spider, sell them on eBay if they don't fit. You can list them as unworn or worn once and make most of your money back.

I think the bag looks like something Robin Hood would carry, and again, no to the chunk heel on what should be a cute platform (imo).
    Spider, sell them on eBay if they don't fit. You can list them as unworn or worn once and make most of your money back.

I think the bag looks like something Robin Hood would carry, and again, no to the chunk heel on what should be a cute platform (imo).

You don't like the heel on the sandal? How would you want it?

I think that bag would be spectacular w/ my belted wool coat! And I would be happy to start stealing from the rich and giving to the poor if I could have it. OMG. I think it's just perfect.

Oh not saying they aren't worth the price or that they are unreasonably priced. I just won't personally spend that much on boots or shoes. My favorite and most expensive boots/shoes I ever bought were my Harley boots. They were $99, used on ebay and I have to really convince myself to spend that much. but I do love them.
    @spider:

A platform, like I said. It would have to be lighter than solid wood would offer, though, and also, there would need to be a nice, thick footpad for wearability and comfort.

Again, just my opinion.
    @spider:

A platform, like I said. It would have to be lighter than solid wood would offer, though, and also, there would need to be a nice, thick footpad for wearability and comfort.

Again, just my opinion.

Well, it is a platform. I guess you mean a wedge-heel? Yeah, both would look nice IMO.

I've been snoozing on this brand! Most of it I wouldn't wear. But I just love it when beautifully cut leather is the focus of the piece.

I'm confused why most of thir stuff is like wild west and the company is named after an inner city neighborhood in Bklyn NY. Or maybe I have to read more carefully.

re. lace-up ankle boots...do you boardies do you like having a zipper on a lace-up boot of that height? I think it's unnecessary. The two-tone boots I bought have a zipper and the solid black Frye boots don't. I think I would have prefered no zipper. Does anyone think zippers on lace-up ankle boots are superfluous? Are we that lazy we can't just tie and untie the laces?:hmph:

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Zippers and laces? Not sure I've seen that, sounds weird to me.
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie wrote: »
    Zippers and laces? Not sure I've seen that, sounds weird to me.

This is how it looks from the other side.

shoes_iaec1423537.jpg

The zipper just seems unnecessary and kinda detracts from the look imo. But it's not just this boot. I have another pair of lace-up ankle boots, about the same height, and they have zippers, too. I've been searching ankle boots for weeks, and about half the styles i've seen have them.

A platform shoe has a solid base; the one pictured divides into front and back. I like solid.

As for the zipper, it depends: because there are so many eyelets on the Frye boots, I really like that there's a zipper. In fact, I thought I would dislike my new Sorels because there wasn't a zipper, and I'd forever be lacing and unlacing them, but with only three eyelets, it's a breeze.

I'm beginning to like the Frye style. Still, I'm pretty interested in hearing about the fit and wearability of the pair you ordered. How exciting! Custom boots!

Signed,
    Total irrevocable shoe addict and I accept it.
    A platform shoe has a solid base; the one pictured divides into front and back. I like solid.

As for the zipper, it depends: because there are so many eyelets on the Frye boots, I really like that there's a zipper. In fact, I thought I would dislike my new Sorels because there wasn't a zipper, and I'd forever be lacing and unlacing them, but with only three eyelets, it's a breeze.

I'm beginning to like the Frye style. Still, I'm pretty interested in hearing about the fit and wearability of the pair you ordered. How exciting! Custom boots!

Signed,
    Total irrevocable shoe addict and I accept it.

A platform shoe just means it has a thick sole. It can have various types of heels.

I WISH these boots were custom. I would love to have custom shoes for my struggle feet. Maybe one day. (But plz no othopedic shoes in my future.)

Wait, aren't the first pair being made for you? I thought that was part of the appeal and the high price. They are individually made in your size (but not tailored to your foot). I'm probably splitting hairs. I have easy feet so am unaware of some specifics (and yes, I am grateful, because whenever my feet have hurt, it's been a nightmare that invokes instant crabbiness).

Yes, I realize platforms can have a heel, but I've always felt the foot should ideally rest flat, which it cannot always do in a heeled platform. The Wikipedia page shows two example: if you go there, you'll see the way the heel is elevated in the lucite pair pictured. The wooden pair (which I find to be more of a chopard), while it has a cut-out between the heel and the front (what is the part under the front of the foot called?), still remains level.
    I like zippers on my lace up boots. I tend to take my boots off and on often (like if I'm wearing them at work all day) and I like having them tied just right without having to re-tie them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file