So...Bill Cosby is a rapist?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
What's up with all these allegations? And the public outcry?

The latest of his accusers is Janice Dickinson.

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Interesting that you posted this. I don't know the details of his other encounters, but I tend to be very skeptical of anything Janice Dickinson has to say, considering her distant acquaintance with reality. However, she did describe the experience as having happened long before anyone else made a claim, so that tends to lend her statement credence, imo. I wish she hadn't reopened the issue because her inclusion in a group of possible victims can only be tainted by her insanity (again, imo).

I believe women's claims of assault 99% of the time. I have a particular loathing for Janice Dickinson, though, so this one is a challenge for me.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Supposedly she wrote about it in her book in the early 2000s, or her publisher wouldn't let her and she told Howard Stern in an interview around the same time....I've seen it reported both ways.

I think that ads a lot to her validity in the case.

It's like the Jiam Goneshi case here, it blows my mind that SO many women didn't report it.

I understand some, but the sheet amounts blow my mind.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I really have not read a lot about this or heard details, so I need to do that. I had no idea Janice D was involved and have only seen a short clip of an interview with a woman claiming she was assaulted more than once. She was introduced to Bill thru a friend. The reporter (female) asked her why she went back after the first alleged assault and she said, "because I felt like I had no choice". You took public transportation or drove a car to his house after he raped you because you had no choice? I have no time for that.

I think you end up with so many people jumping on when money/celebrity is involved because they feel they can get a bit of the action. If any claims are valid, it detracts and waters it down.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    There's no money involved though, it's way over the statue of limitations for any of them.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    There's no money involved though, it's way over the statue of limitations for any of them.

There is still potential to be on tv, gain notoriety and possibly get some book deals. Not only that but with todays media machine tabloids will pay for your story, etc ...

When you have someone who has been in an abusive relationship, is scared, is afraid to leave ... I have a bit more understanding for those claims but when you are talking an acquaintance you do not live with who has perpetrated an act of violence, it becomes a little harder to swallow.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    PerriP wrote: »

So, if my eyes did not deceive me, she wrote that she did NOT want to sleep with him but he blew her off in her book. What is the point? Why even bother incl... Lord, Janice. She killed most her brain cells in the 70s & 80s.

I won't believe anyone most of the time because they are a woman or a man. Both are equally capable of fabrication. I will listen to the claims and go from there. Based on what I have heard so far, this may be a road to no where.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Just like LED display solar panel highway (you'd never get people out of the crosswalk) but I digress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This is the woman I saw. Joan Tarshis, except I saw a clip of her with a female reporter asking her investigative questions. Apparently Don Lemon keeps getting hounded because he seemed skeptical in one interview and gave a tip against being raped in this one. Joan gave more of a detailed response as to why she went back after being raped in this interview. In the other she said because I felt I had to.

http://youtu.be/ePGsuPj7-3c

CNN and other outlets keep running stories about Cosby being silent. Well, that is expected and everyone should know it. Your lawyers will advise you against speaking. It's also understood that if you come forward with these stories, and go to the press to make your claims, reporters are going to ask you questions. Are they supposed to say... Okay. No one needs to know details. Down with Bill Cosby!! Most people would like to hear a bit more.

(Did you know most female jury members are less likely to convict in instances like this than male? I think many are less likely to entertain ambiguous or hard to fathom claims. This is not a trial situation but regardless, I hope most people would go into it without bias)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Who is she? I know I have heard her name before but when I google I get pages of Cosby related news.

NM. Got it now. Woodstock, journalism, music industry... The old "head" I used to hang around with always talked about Joan. A random "Joan Tarshis" would come out of her mouth, often. Also remember it from articles, videos, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wondering how all of these women were in such shock that they didn't go to the police but managed to get to a lawyer to file a civil suit. If they were drugged, wouldn't the drug still be in their system as further proof? Then some of these women had consensual relations with him after? A black man accused of raping a white woman in the 60's?? How hard would've that been to prosecute?? Not very!

eta,
    But I absolutely believe he may have done these things...sadly.
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am really disappointed. Fat Albert was one of the highlights of my childhood.

Not kidding.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think that he is a serial rapist. I understand the concept of innocent until proven guilty and I accept that I could be wrong. It is, for now, solely my opinion based on what I have read.

From what I have read, there are at least 14 other women besides the very dubious Janice. Supposedly, they didn't know each other. The mo (way it happened) in each case is similar. The statute of limitations is passed so they can't receive any money.

In one case there was a civil suit and the woman was paid to keep her mouth shut, so she isn't speaking.

Why didn't he loudly insist on his innocence starting years ago when the rumors began? If all these cases were untrue, why wouldn't Cosby sue one or all of them for defamation?

Too many women for me to assume they are all lying.

ETA: I loved watching the Cosby show but if it is true, he is a POS.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    How did he stay married all of these years?
    I guess there are heavy duty perks to being Mrs. Bill Cosby.

OT some crazy woman is marrying Charles Manson (the murderer). Go figure!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    frau wrote: »
    Wondering how all of these women were in such shock that they didn't go to the police but managed to get to a lawyer to file a civil suit. If they were drugged, wouldn't the drug still be in their system as further proof? Then some of these women had consensual relations with him after? A black man accused of raping a white woman in the 60's?? How hard would've that been to prosecute?? Not very!

eta,
    But I absolutely believe he may have done these things...sadly.

That is what I pondered and a question they asked on The View. I do not watch it but saw a clip as I was catching up on the stories. Even with worries about rape accusations and the police it is odd to by pass everything, have no kit done but go to a lawyer and file suit. The whole going back to his house and claiming to have sexual encounters with him again, after the rape, is absurd to me. I can not even imagine. I didn't go to the police for issues other than being worried a out how they would treat me but I avoided my attacker at all costs. I also only told 3 people until 2012 (1 was in the same house where it happened and there when I came to and 2 were in the room when I walked into my ex boyfriends house right after I left the house where it happened. It was just on the other side of the street) when I unloaded here, and it happened in the mid 90's. I could not stand the idea of seeing him. Never in a million years would I have gone back because I felt I had to or ... You are talking about someone drugging you and violating your unconscious body. You do know when you wake up and no!! I have a very hard time understanding that.

With that being said, I have no idea what happened in this case. I have an idea of a pretty typical reaction.

I heard the main woman making the accusations talked to a comedian about how no one would believe her and he had been doing a comedy skit about it for months before the story came out again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I guess there are heavy duty perks to being Mrs. Bill Cosby.

OT some crazy woman is marrying Charles Manson (the murderer). Go figure!

I heard he got a marriage license and though what in the ????

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't think rape kits were often done back in the day. It was very hard for women to get a rape conviction when I was young.

I just can't believe that several women have decided to publicly accuse one of the most powerful men in recent Hollywood history of a crime they have no hope of seeing prosecuted, and for which they are seeking no damages unless what they say is true.

The heart of the matter is this: A defender of Bill Cosby must, effectively, conjure a vast conspiracy (15 women so far, and possibly more), created to bring down one man. Why?

But I also don't understand why any woman who had been raped would ever again go near the rapist. To further a career? Unbelievable to me. That is the one fact that gives me pause. Still, too many unrelated women saying the same thing to completely discount the accusations.
    Thats why I say I could understand the continuing more if it was a woman who had been in an abusive relationship with someone and was truly scared for their life/repercussions if they left. But someone you met while trying to get help with your career, and kept going back to? There is nothing about catching a break that is worth willingly subjecting yourself to that again.

*I find nothing about more and more women coming forward with the same story to be a confirmation in this day and information age. They have the whole story laid out in print, or on video, in front of them already. Again, that's not me saying that some are not real but acknowledging that it's an easy story to duplicate at this point and get in on and it runs the risk of watering down and dismissing any actual claims.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    61497004.jpg?d9c1

you know what i wonder.....
    Okay, to make sure I have reports somewhat clear (the media is such a cluster im always cautious)...

1985 is when Barbara Bowman says she was assaulted. It was 89 when she went to a lawyer and said she was laughed out of the office. In 2002 Janice writes that She did not want to sleep with Bill and he blew her off, for whatever reason. 2005 someone makes a claim and now, after a comedian does a skit about the prior allegations for months (maybe. The young turks talked about it) there is a pile on.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/showbiz/tv/bill-cosby-rape-allegations/?c=&page=2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Somewhat OT: In reading about this I came across mention that Woody Allen raped his young daughter. Apparently Hollywood is pretty silent about that (if it is true). Are we excusing rape because the rapists are gifted in some way?
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Somewhat OT: In reading about this I came across mention that Woody Allen raped his young daughter. Apparently Hollywood is pretty silent about that (if it is true). Are we excusing rape because the rapists are gifted in some way?

That one, like the Cosby allegations, has been around for years. Somehow I had managed to not hear Bills accusations before but have heard Woody's. Every so often someone rediscovers it or re tells their story to a magazine and it is discussed again. The child molestation charges were very public, just like his affair and then/on going marriage to Mia's adopted older daughter. The molestations charges (his and Mia's younger daughter) came out after he left Mia. That whole thing is a mess!! Anyway, child psychologists were involved and investigations had. It was deemed unfounded and no charges were pressed.

Then you have the affair that Mia had with Frank and then tried to pass off her son, who is the spitting image of Ol' Blue Eyes, as Woodys child. No way in hell. It's a circle of confusion!

Frau, I have no idea how he remained married either.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Here is The View clip. They brought up some good points.

http://youtu.be/BTebhdRvS64

Whoopi brought up crimes she has been accused of and cleared for in the past and told people they could try to Google it. I'm waiting to see if anyone jumps on that train again. I love her. I can't help myself.

You have the bad situation of wondering if one claim may be true and the situation of wondering what it is like to have old accusations re surface, and new people make the same claims, at different intervals.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's very strange that these accusations are coming now. I'm 33 and I never knew about these allegations. Guessing they're from the 80s?

As crazy as Janice is, I believe her. There doesn't seem to be any gain for her to lie and her story hasn't changed.

I don't think that preying on vulnerable women is legally rape, but it's beginning to look like this may be what Bill has done. And if that is true, then I'm guessing his wife Camille fits that role too. I find it odd that if Bill Cosby did leave semen during a rape, no one went to a hospital. If it's his semen, he can't deny that. That's why I'm thinking that many of these women may have just been in an abusive relationship with him, not necessarily raped. That is still bad but woukd explain why he is still a free man.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    Good points everyone.

Multi, I'm wondering if DNA from Cosby's semen could have been tested in those days. Anyone know when the ability to test for DNA became available?
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CP - I totally forgot about that. If DNA testing were available back then, it probably wasn't widely available. I also find it weird that none of these women had his kid.

It does sound fishy though if he were paying for an apartment for 17-yo Barbara Bowman.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    According to this Time article DNA testing started in 1985. That is the same year Bowman said she was drugged and raped, several times, by Bill Cosby, while living in an apartment he was paying for. Again, she didn't go to a lawyer until 89.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1905706,00.html

It has advanced since then. I'm still looking for exact specifics for Rape Kits. Looks like those were pretty much right out of the gate. According to the article the first person convicted of rape due to DNA was in 87. I was 12 then.

I remember all the finger print based work, well, when I was a kid. Everyone was panicking over the bumped up child abduction stats and some stories on the news. I think we were all finger printed just in case of strangers with tainted candy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Side Note: I can understand the many reasons why women do not report. I hear the way you will be treated cited most often and a list of typical investigation questions, that need to be asked, listed as reason. There are several more than that but it has been a downfall at times. Most rape trials remain completely private. The victim/accuser has that right. Respect is given, press is not involved, and it is handled. Something like this is meant for public eye and wide discussion, and that you will get. I like that a few sources have brought up rape kits in their discussion. There will still people who never say a word but right now I feel like bypassing authorities and reporting to people that can not even attempt to get a conviction is pushed. "Accidental or Unintentional Rapists" are discussed on college campuses. Kangaroo Courts are used and nothing more happens than suspension w/o due process. That is equally disturbing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    Here is The View clip. They brought up some good points.

http://youtu.be/BTebhdRvS64

Whoopi brought up crimes she has been accused of and cleared for in the past and told people they could try to Google it. I'm waiting to see if anyone jumps on that train again. I love her. I can't help myself.

You have the bad situation of wondering if one claim may be true and the situation of wondering what it is like to have old accusations re surface, and new people make the same claims, at different intervals.

One other side note. I do applaud Rosie for mentioning the absolute vitriol for anyone asking questions and not automatically assuming the female victim/accuser is by default correct. She was absolutely correct to remind people that this is not how our judicial system works.

I came across this and felt the need to post. Helen Reece (UK) has been in a few debates I have watched recently. This covers a debate last year at London School of Economics called Is Rape Different?. It got quite a bit of press due to Lawyers, who are also feminists (read radical/rabid), accepting an invitation to the debate and then demanding that their opposition be censored. LAWYERS DEMANDING THE OPPOSITION BE CENSORED WHILE MISERABLY FAILING. That is a mockery (they were laughed at) and against rights. The very first right in the US. They then chastised the school for allowing the debate to continue and not protecting people. This needs to be discussed, not shunned. One of the things I can not stand is the assertion that victims can not handle things. Can never recover. Can never understand how damaged they are, even to the point where they should not be heard if not saying the correct thing. It's so messed up.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/14272#.VG2WDL-9Kc2

1) Victimisation is widespread;
    2) Its consequences are fundamentally psychological, and long-lasting;
    3) Victims are innocent, victimisers are exploitative, and there is no room for moral ambiguity;
    4) Both society and victims themselves fail to appreciate the extent of victimisation;
    5) People must be taught to recognise their own, and others’ victimisation;
    6) Claims of victimisation must not be challenged, as this is ‘victim-blaming’;
    7) The word ‘victim’ connotes powerlessness: the term ‘survivor’ is preferable. (1)
    Victims/survivors are praised for their courage, and enjoined to recover. The language of recovery is permeated by the doctrinaire religiosity of the 12-step movement, pioneered by the founders of AA in the US. This may explain why some victim-advocacy groups can sound cult-like, with their own jargon (‘grooming’, ‘trafficking’, ‘mind control’) and their disdain for non-believers.
    But, like any religion, the victim/survivor movement needs new recruits and new spheres of influence. Not satisfied with sensitising society to victims’ needs, they then demand integration within institutional structures, and then wholesale institutional change. The contemporary victim industry, according to Best, mass-produces victims.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/we_must_be_free_to_question_rape_laws/14321#.VG2XEr-9Kc2

All anyone has to do is take a stroll on Tumblr to see it in action :-/ Or look at the vitriol Don Lemon received for asking questions when this is not even in a court but playing out in public/on television. Of course it does not mean one should automatically jump on either side, but listen and weigh.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file