Anxiety

scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
Does anyone have experience with anxiety. I've made an appointment but I can't get in until the 9th. For at least the last week, my anxiety has been through the roof. If it's light, I take Kava Kava, but I think I may be beyond that point. My chest is heavy and my skin tingles like I've used Vicks Vapor rub. I think I have at least one attack a day where I just start crying. It's super annoying because I know I shouldn't be crying but the anxiety takes over. Other times, I just let myself or force myself to cry in an attempt to get some release from this.

I thought I was Ok but it is in full force today and I am miserable sitting here at my desk feeling like I have heartburn and tingly skin.

I am under an LOT of stress with my main job, my personal life, and with my businesses.

Any suggestions?

Crap, I'm about to tear up just writing this. BOOOOO. Make it stop!

Comments

• PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    breathing helps
    I know that sounds silly but it really helps.

I have anxiety attacks now and then, days when it's all just too much, but mostly I do okay now (that I'm on medication)

for me a lot of it is managing my time, my stressors, etc. in that way I can make sure I am getting adequate rest, food, etc - to help when my mind tries to take over into crazyland. It's possible that it is hyped up now because you've been so busy lately and you haven't been caring for yourself as well as you might otherwise, and your body doesn't know what else to do but essentially YELL at you to make you slow it down a bit.

I keep several phone numbers handy (for friends) in case I have a bad spell, and I keep a list of calming activities (certain yoga sequences, breathing, reading, a hot bath, walking the dog, etc) so when I start feeling it wind up, I can nip it in the bud.

I take 5HTP in addition to my medication, it helps keep me even.

((big gentle hugs))

P
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    thanks PerriP. I am going to try the 5HTP
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, I have. I used to have panic attacks, and have taken medication for it. I got some really good advice on this site about it, which was to burn off that energy by moving; whether walking or scrubbing something or finding any task that requires just enough attention and elbow grease to distract me. It worked. Now, unless it's freaking freezing out (like today) I walk the dogs when I feel panic coming on. This works better for me than phoning a friend, but you can always, always call me, sweetie.

Hope you're okay and feeling better soon.
    Yes, I have. I used to have panic attacks, and have taken medication for it. I got some really good advice on this site about it, which was to burn off that energy by moving; whether walking or scrubbing something or finding any task that requires just enough attention and elbow grease to distract me. It worked. Now, unless it's freaking freezing out (like today) I walk the dogs when I feel panic coming on. This works better for me than phoning a friend, but you can always, always call me, sweetie.

Hope you're okay and feeling better soon.

I do second the dog walking. It helps me a lot. Scrills, maybe you can get a harness for that raccoon and take it for a walk? ;)
    Oh, bless your heart, PerriP! That'll be the day.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I have no advice, but feel free to share away if it helps :)
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I take Zoloft. Its an AD but it helps my anxiety some.

Feel better...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had generalized anxiety disorder for the past twelve years. I go through ups and downs with it, medication can sometimes help as can controlled breathing and exercise, as others have mentioned. The ideal solution is to find a medication with your doctor that helps control enough of the symptoms that you can think clearly and start teaching yourself how to think before and during the attacks. Cognitive behavioral therapy is an ideal treatment once you've found a medication that helps. I'd strongly suggest doing a search for Mindfulness"Based Stress Reduction. There are books that explain how it works, and most regions have workshops you can attend run by certified psychology professionals. I know it's hard, but try to let go of the feelings of shame or anger at yourself for experiencing the anxiety, they aren't productive and can often make things worse. A lot of the advice I and others have given is easier said than done, but they're good things to keep in mind. Just know there are others who know how unpleasant and disruptive these symptoms are, and that you're not alone.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I forgot to mention, caffeine can frequently exacerbate the symptoms, so if you're a caffeine drinker try to"monitor your intake till you know the extent to which it affects you personally.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • Annie1980Annie1980 Posts: 77Registered Users
    I know your struggle. God, it's the worst. I've had anxiety since I was 5 years old. :(. About 1 1/2 years ago, mine flared up SO bad, I lost my job because of it, and I felt like if I didn't get help, I was going to become agoraphobic. At first I tried Xanax, which REALLY helped, but it was a short term help. Eventually my Dr put me on Zoloft. Its an antidepressant/ anti anxiety drug. I didn't even think it would work but boy was I wrong!! Oh my god, IT WORKED! Honestly it has changed my life. I suggest you try it. It does lower your sex drive, ok, but for me, I was willing to compromise in order to be able to function again. I also take a beta blocker called Metoprolol. (Generic for Toprol).It lowers blood pressure, and slows your heart rate. Plus it helps me sleep @ night ( that's when I take it, right B4 bed). Anyways, I just wanted to share that with you. Good luck, I am honestly very sorry you're going through this. Nobody seems to "get it", either, unless they've had it. Good luck to you!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Scrills, I've had anxiety my whole life, sometimes very severe. I wish I knew what to say to help. Try to get extra sleep if you can - it may help a little.

Good for you for posting. It's important to talk to people so that you know you aren't alone with this. I think some of it is genetic. I'm just so sorry - I'm rambling here because I can't think of anything that will help a lot. Sometimes a kind and wise counselor can help but it's hard to find one who really understands.

{{{Scrills}}}. :love6:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Thanks ladies this is really helping. Last week when I felt the chest pains and itchy skin and caught myself crying over an unfinished project, I should have done something then. Instead, I tried to fight through it and caused other problems. I would venture to say that it started with a couple sleepless nights a couple of weeks ago and snowballed last weekend when I just had one too many things on my plate (you guys have seen my to do lists).

I bought the 5htp yesterday. I am going to start taking it today.

I think the suggestion of exercising is good. Let me go wrestle a coon, LOL
    You know you are always welcome to come out here and go for a walk with the dogs and me. I'll hold the leash(es).
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Aww Scrills, you are not alone. We are all here for you!

As CurlyPearl mentioned, I do think it's genetic, too. My mom and sisters all have it, and it onset late in our 20s for all of us.

Good for you for being proactive about it.

It might sound silly but I've heard this works for some people, myself included. I like to feel something heavy around or on myself. Like a very heavy blanket or two. And if someone is around it helps me to relax if they squeeze me tightly.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Phil 4:6

Also lighten your load and remove as many stressors from your life as you can.

(Hoping it gets better for you soon! Yes, I have problems w/ anxiety...but not panic attacks or what you are describing.)

That's interesting, mustangbunny. I've never tried it.
    I've read that swaddling infants makes them fret less. Maybe a similar idea.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aww Scrills, you are not alone. We are all here for you!

As CurlyPearl mentioned, I do think it's genetic, too. My mom and sisters all have it, and it onset late in our 20s for all of us.

Good for you for being proactive about it.

It might sound silly but I've heard this works for some people, myself included. I like to feel something heavy around or on myself. Like a very heavy blanket or two. And if someone is around it helps me to relax if they squeeze me tightly.

I absolutely agree with genetic issues. It is very common on my dads side of the family. All 3 siblings have anxiety disorders and their father had it too. Of course you have other factors. They all experienced different traumas be it War (for 2), victims or witnesses to physical & verbal abuse due to their alcoholic WWII generation father with severe PTSD, etc. That said, I ended up with anxiety disorder as well. It didn't show up until my mid to later teens. A phobia/anxiety of driving. In my early 20s I had full blown panic attacks for no real reason. They went away for years and my job really helped with that. I deal with a lot of stress but had to learn to really focus and do it. I didn't have much of a problem other than a stray attack here and there until my dad died in 2012. That kicked off really bad attacks again but I can pin point the reason for them now.

I agree with Perri, breathing does help. I've taken various meds but Xanax seems to work the best for me. Half of one will do and I can take it sparingly. I've also tried Welbutrin in hopes to quit smoking. I know it's supposed to help with anxiety and I can not say how it works for that. Cravings are still different than full fledged anxiety, and I still had cravings. Plus it causes me to loose a ton of weight, really fast and can cause anxiety issues in some. If I am going to take something I am more of a short term or as needed person that long term Rx.

I hope you can get some relief!
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honestly, it's an idea I borrowed from my sister's dog. He gets scared and barks a lot so during times like that we put something called a Thunder Shirt on him. It's just a really heavyweight vest and it calms him down. Then one time my other sister said she'd seen shirts like that for kids so I figured I'd give it a shot. My anxiety is not as severe as other family members so I'm not sure it'd work if I was having a really bad attack but I stress about everything all the damn time and it helps during times like that.

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

I was going to say "it's like a thundershirt"
    also, temple grandin built something similar for herself (if you've seen the movie)
    I'm claustrophobic so I don't know if it would be right for me (I don't want to say what kind of images I'm conjuring), but I find the idea very interesting. When one of my dogs had a panic attack (the smoke alarm started tweeting when the battery wore out and it scared the pants off her), I held her very tight for a long time, and she finally stopped trembling, so I believe it probably works well in many cases.
    My little guy who had doggy dementia wore an infant t-shirt all the time to keep him calm, it made a difference for him (same concept as the thundershirt, not as tight and he wore it at all times - unless it was being washed)
  • virginbluevirginblue Posts: 194Registered Users
    I have severe anxiety and going to see a psychiatrist has helped me tons. Antidepressants give me horrible side effects unfortunately, so I've been taking Xanax nearly every day for the past 4 years. I get a lot of flak for it, but it's the only thing that helps me. I also take Deplin at night. Something non-med related that works for me is to set aside a 20 minute period in my day that is devoted to worrying. I make a list of all the things that are worrying me and allow myself to worry. Then I write down proactive solutions to my worries and employ them after my worry period is over. I'm not allowed to worry at any other point in the day. It takes practice and I'm still not perfect at it, but it cuts down my needless anxiety by about 80%.
    2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
    Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
    Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
    Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
    RO: VO5 conditioners
    Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
    PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment
    Virginblue, I used to use that trick - but I had forgotten it. Thanks for posting!!!
    VirginBlue- people giving you flak for trying to take care of yourself?! POO ON THEM! You keep doin' what's right for you!

PerriP- I haven't ever seen the movie but my sister told me all about Temple Grandin. She used to work with autistic children before she became a nurse and she really likes her.

Go Red Wings!

VirginBlue- people giving you flak for trying to take care of yourself?! POO ON THEM! You keep doin' what's right for you!

PerriP- I haven't ever seen the movie but my sister told me all about Temple Grandin. She used to work with autistic children before she became a nurse and she really likes her.

The movie is worth watching. I had zero real interest in seeing it but absolutely loved it.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PerriP wrote: »

The movie is worth watching. I had zero real interest in seeing it but absolutely loved it.

I never saw the movie, but I heard part of her TED talk and an in-depth interview with her on NPR. She is amazing and inspiring.

I used to get frequent anxiety attacks but now I can stop them before they happen by slowing my breathing and changing my thought pattern to solving the problem instead of dwelling on it. Also I notice my anxiety increases when I don't get enough sleep.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've had anxiety since my early 20's. I never told anybody about it until I started dating my now fiancé. My parents didn't even know, I was ashamed of it for some reason. Anyhow, the docs have told me I need to be on meds, but I'm just not comfortable taking something that I have to wean off of, and potentially have side effects from weaning off. No thanks. Xanax works wonders for me, but doesn't help 100% of the time. I'll be falling asleep and I shoot up in bed gasping for air and my throat goes numb. Been searching for something to help me as well. I'm comfortable with Xanax, but not comfortable with a constant daily dose of something. If I could get off everything all together, I would be ecstatic.

I feel the best when I'm active, so I do think there's something to say about exercising.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Sixe, is it possible you have sleep apnea?
  • virginbluevirginblue Posts: 194Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Virginblue, I used to use that trick - but I had forgotten it. Thanks for posting!!!

No problem! It's one of my favorite techniques

Thanks! People seem to have this idea that I take Xanax to get high. I would love to not have to take it all the time
    2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
    Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
    Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
    Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
    RO: VO5 conditioners
    Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
    PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file